OB-6 output volume issue

OB-6 output volume issue
« on: May 16, 2022, 12:39:58 AM »
Dear all,

I'm lucky enough to have an OB-6 that I've always played with headphones (DT 700 PRO X impedance of 48 ohms). Recently, I want to add the sound of my OB-6 to my productions. I realized that the output volume is very low. I have been struggling for a few days to find the best possible configuration. I have an RME UCX 2.

I have read the OB-6 manual and it is well indicated that the final volume is given by the mix of the oscillators, the VCA and the master (which is obviously not linear). The problem is that to reach a correct volume, the synth saturates...

I hope I've been precise enough. Do you have any recommendations?

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 12:43:10 AM by Jien »

Elric

• Peak Oil
Re: OB-6 output volume issue
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 01:00:21 AM »
Dear all,

I'm lucky enough to have an OB-6 that I've always played with headphones (DT 700 PRO X impedance of 48 ohms). Recently, I want to add the sound of my OB-6 to my productions. I realized that the output volume is very low. I have been struggling for a few days to find the best possible configuration. I have an RME UCX 2.

I have read the OB-6 manual and it is well indicated that the final volume is given by the mix of the oscillators, the VCA and the master (which is obviously not linear). The problem is that to reach a correct volume, the synth saturates...

Commenting here as a Pro3 owner.

...Holy crap, the Fg Pro3 headphone output is INSANELY loud!
(Please take your headphones off before turning it on or off!!)
I don't understand why, but...  yea...
   Maybe use your headphone out put with pre-amp or something?!
(No! Don't! You'll blow something out!)

Anyway, yea, I'm not an engineer but yes, the headphone outputs are very loud.
(Maybe that's a good thing? - How's the s/n ratio?)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 02:12:23 AM by Elric »
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 02:19:34 PM »
Dear all,

No problems here getting good levels from the OB. Are you using the correct inputs on your RME with the correct cables? I use unbalanced cables into line inputs with the gain at 50%. The noise floor fluctuates between -83 and -85db. Starting with an initialized patch...A single oscillator playing 1 note comes in at -25db. When playing a 3 note chord the level hits -17.5db. Perfect for a 3 note chord but maybe a little too much gain when playing more than 3 notes.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 10:18:08 PM »
Dear all,

No problems here getting good levels from the OB. Are you using the correct inputs on your RME with the correct cables? I use unbalanced cables into line inputs with the gain at 50%. The noise floor fluctuates between -83 and -85db. Starting with an initialized patch...A single oscillator playing 1 note comes in at -25db. When playing a 3 note chord the level hits -17.5db. Perfect for a 3 note chord but maybe a little too much gain when playing more than 3 notes.

Thank you for your answer and for the detailed description.

I am using Mogami unbalanced cables. When you talk about the 50% gain, is it the volume knob of the OB-6? I will try to reproduce what you describe tonight (I live in Switzerland...).

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 10:06:10 AM »
Dear all,

I was able to test the mentioned settings and I get exactly the same result. So I think my OB-6 is OK. Thanks again for your answer.

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 12:13:22 PM »

When you talk about the 50% gain, is it the volume knob of the OB-6? I will try to reproduce what you describe tonight (I live in Switzerland...).

Sorry, I was referring to the gain knob on the input channel. (Audient ASP-880) Glad you got it sorted!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 12:15:11 PM by RobustAmerican »

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 01:05:45 AM »
Dear all,

I was able to test the mentioned settings and I get exactly the same result. So I think my OB-6 is OK. Thanks again for your answer.

If you want a little more volume coming out of your OB-6, you might try a Radial J+4 box. It will take a stereo source and boost it to give you a bit of headroom.

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 03:03:07 AM »
Dear all,

If you want a little more volume coming out of your OB-6, you might try a Radial J+4 box. It will take a stereo source and boost it to give you a bit of headroom.

Oh thanks!