Oberheim OBX8 as Desktop Version...?

AlakaLazlo

• When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • Lazlotronic
Re: Oberheim OBX8 as Desktop Version...?
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2022, 10:46:31 AM »
I would also buy a desktop version if they become available.
Cubase, Slate Raven, Komplete, Omnisphere/RMX/Trilian, Fender Strat Pro & Electric XII, custom Variax JTV69S (the Hexstainocaster), Helix, Cirklon, Engine, Moog IIP/One/Mini, Dot.Com/Moon/STG/FSFX 110, OB-6, SEM, ESQ1, DX7, Lavalamp.

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2022, 12:09:50 PM »
I'd buy a desktop version as well. The keyboard is too big for me.

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2022, 10:29:26 PM »
Would happily purchase a desktop version.  Between Pro 2, NL4 KB, and Opsix, I have no room for such a massive board as the OBX8 KB, but oh do I want that sound.  ;D

LPF83

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2022, 03:29:46 AM »
I think a desktop version is inevitable.  The question in my mind is more whether it will be offered at a fair price point.
I think $3,200 US feels about right... much more than that and I believe it will be a non-starter for many.

I've noticed that the OB-X8, like many Oberheim products before it, is being viewed as more of a luxury than the "necessity status" the Prophet 5/10 became for many musicians.  I believe there are two factors at play there:  the price tag of course, but also the range of possible sounds.  I've seen owners of the OB-X8 describe it as a "one trick pony", and I do sometimes feel that way about my OB-6 when I compare it to the Prophet line.  Oberheim is a GREAT sound, but I would compare it (in certain ways) to a saxophone... it's an amazing sounding instrument but you don't necessarily want it producing all sounds in a track or even necessarily have it present on every track.  I get the same feeling about he OB-X8.

So, because of this luxury item status and lessened versatility, I think there is a category of buyers willing to pay $5k for not only the sound but for the Oberheim experience.   Like many (included myself), they've always wanted an OBX/Xa but couldn't justify many prices, but unlike myself, also care about the full Oberheim exprerience including the paddles and large keyboard profile.  Then there are those like me who already have an OB6, who do want the sound of the OB-X8, but don't have room for another huge keyboard, and are simply not going to pay $3.5-$4k or whatever for a desktop unit that requires some level of menu diving to access all the features.

While crossing my fingers the asking price comes in at a reasonable level, I'm also looking forward to seeing what Sequential has cooking, and I must admit that the UDO Super 6 desktop does, at times, keep tugging at my wallet.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LPF83

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2023, 03:22:07 PM »
Anyone heard any more credible scuttlebutt about a desktop version coming?  My optimistic mind had predicted January as the potential announcement for this, but that doesn't appear to be the case.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2023, 10:22:39 AM »
Anyone heard any more credible scuttlebutt about a desktop version coming?  My optimistic mind had predicted January as the potential announcement for this, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

You know I think because a lot of the team that work on Sequential instruments also work on the Oberheim line as well, there might not be the bandwidth to focus on two things at one time...nor from a marketing perspective they likely don't want to announce two different instruments at the same time in case one gets overshadowed by another.

That's just my guess.

It also makes me wonder what the Oberheim line actually has planned in the future. Sequential I can sort of pin point and guess but Oberheim? I dunno. I would like to see SEM stuff come back but I don't think that's in the cards....and if it was it would be at a pretty ridiculous price point.

LPF83

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2023, 11:54:06 AM »

You know I think because a lot of the team that work on Sequential instruments also work on the Oberheim line as well, there might not be the bandwidth to focus on two things at one time...nor from a marketing perspective they likely don't want to announce two different instruments at the same time in case one gets overshadowed by another.

That's just my guess.

It also makes me wonder what the Oberheim line actually has planned in the future. Sequential I can sort of pin point and guess but Oberheim? I dunno. I would like to see SEM stuff come back but I don't think that's in the cards....and if it was it would be at a pretty ridiculous price point.

I was hoping the desktop version of the OB-X8 would follow the approximate timeline of desktop announcements for Sequential stuff, but I guess with Dave's passing, supply chain woes and other factors it's anyone's guess.  I do think it will be a case of opportunity foregone if they never announce a desktop, because there are many like me where physical space is a deal breaking proposition.

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2023, 02:35:43 PM »

That's just my guess.

I was hoping the desktop version of the OB-X8 would follow the approximate timeline of desktop announcements for Sequential stuff, but I guess with Dave's passing, supply chain woes and other factors it's anyone's guess.  I do think it will be a case of opportunity foregone if they never announce a desktop, because there are many like me where physical space is a deal breaking proposition.

Honestly, I think we'll see a Matrix-16 before we see an OBX8 desktop.

LPF83

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2023, 02:53:41 PM »
Honestly, I think we'll see a Matrix-16 before we see an OBX8 desktop.

I've considered the possibility that an Xpander reissue might preclude the release of an OB-X8 module, simply because if generating the excitement around a new reissue is seen as more profitable than creating an OB-X8 desktop unit then the powers that be might make it so.

However, I would guess that the OB-X8 desktop makes much more sense at first, in the pursuit of profits, because they know not everyone has room for the massive box of the OB-X8 keyboard.  And the cost of putting the existing guts in a smaller box is much cheaper than all the R&D and new code that needs to go into creating an entirely new product.  The OB-X8 desktop will allow them to reach many more buyers utilizing the investments they've already made.  I'm sure Dave would have stopped doing module versions of each of his synths if they weren't profitable endeavors.

But yeah an Xpander desktop reissue wouldn't be a bad thing, either... as long as it wasn't as freaking massive in size (for a module) as the original.

phaedra23

• every day is the best day
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2023, 10:30:25 PM »
Yesssss! how I expected, the Desktop Version of X8 will come out, will waiting for test, and my wish is to support, Poly AT or-and MPE. Waiting for the tests. But I am sure I will order it!