PX Toolkit question

PX Toolkit question
« on: May 12, 2022, 08:43:14 PM »
I’ve generated samples from a Waldorf Microwave. I standardized 3 levels of velocity on C1, F#1, C2, F#2… up to C6. Once I got the samples trimmed and normalized and saved with the note ID in the name, I dragged them to PX Toolkit’s window to organize and found the program places them on single notes starting on C0, ignoring the root key in the name and constraining the ranges, refusing me the ability to lay these out as they should be.
Has anyone else gone this route and solved it? I looked at the documentation and it sounds like you should be able to just drag them around, but I can’t.

Re: PX Toolkit question
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 12:36:58 PM »
I’ve generated samples from a Waldorf Microwave. I standardized 3 levels of velocity on C1, F#1, C2, F#2… up to C6. Once I got the samples trimmed and normalized and saved with the note ID in the name, I dragged them to PX Toolkit’s window to organize and found the program places them on single notes starting on C0, ignoring the root key in the name and constraining the ranges, refusing me the ability to lay these out as they should be.
Has anyone else gone this route and solved it? I looked at the documentation and it sounds like you should be able to just drag them around, but I can’t.

Prior to version 1.3.0 PXToolkit would treat embedded metadata as authoritative regardless of the filename, but that doesn't sound like what you're running into.  It sounds more like the tool doesn't think there's any root note information in the sample file or the filename at all, in which case it will lay them out sequentially as you describe.  Can you provide an example of the filename format you're using?

One possibility is that you mention putting the note number in the filename, which PXToolkit won't recognize.  There would be far too many cases where someone has a number in the filename for other reasons (eg: "Prophet 5" isn't intended to be on note #5!)  What PXToolkit looks for is the note name instead.  So your files need to have names like "My Sample F#1" to be laid out automatically.  It doesn't need to be at the end of the filename, just separated from other alphanumeric characters by some kind of delimiter - a space or a dash or an underscore or any of a dozen other symbols it's happy to accept.

Lastly, I should note that once imported you can change the root note and range.  Just select the sample and edit the root note in the details on the right side (it's on the third line of the sample details, displayed as something like "12.2s @ C0".)  You're probably trying to adjust the range without modifying the root note, and the range is constrained so that it must include the root note and can't overlap adjacent roots.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 12:39:05 PM by Lady Gaia »