OB-8 sounds in the OB-X8

OB-8 sounds in the OB-X8
« on: May 10, 2022, 10:04:35 PM »
I would like to know is it possible to transfer my patches from my OB-8 into the OB-X8 through sysex or any other way?

Re: OB-8 sounds in the OB-X8
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 02:44:14 AM »
Same here!

drew_n

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 11:16:57 AM »
I would like to know is it possible to transfer my patches from my OB-8 into the OB-X8 through sysex or any other way?

Yep! You can also load from cassette, if you have that format.

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 05:33:03 PM »
Thanks Drew!

Got hundreds of them to load.

Have you checked for consistency between the two?

drew_n

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 11:42:26 AM »
Thanks Drew!

It's identical, e.g. f you're loading an OB-8 library, it should be pretty much dead on. Marcus and the team did incredibly deep analysis of the 4 other ancestor synths--OB-SX, OB-X, Xa, and 8. I did spectrum plot comparisons between the X8 and 8 and I couldn't spot any difference. I also A/B'ed the OB-8 factory presets and couldn't hear any difference.

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 03:02:03 PM »
How do you load your OB-8 sounds into the OB-X8? I donít see any cassette interface inputs on the OB-X8.

drew_n

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 10:17:32 AM »
How do you load your OB-8 sounds into the OB-X8? I donít see any cassette interface inputs on the OB-X8.

Either through sysex or cassette/mp3/audio. I'm not sure which jack it is offhand, but one ALSO serves the purpose of an input for audio data.

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2022, 12:25:00 PM »
Thanks Drew!

It's identical, e.g. f you're loading an OB-8 library, it should be pretty much dead on. Marcus and the team did incredibly deep analysis of the 4 other ancestor synths--OB-SX, OB-X, Xa, and 8. I did spectrum plot comparisons between the X8 and 8 and I couldn't spot any difference. I also A/B'ed the OB-8 factory presets and couldn't hear any difference.

So it is possible to hear comparisons of those OB-X8/OB-8 patches?

In another forum cbmd posted two audio clips of OB-X8 horns played in low and mid registers. In both cases I liked the OB-8 mode much better whereas the other two sounded very tame and indifferent in comparison. Does anyone know why is that?