New Forum Design

jok3r

New Forum Design
« on: May 10, 2022, 10:58:06 AM »
Hi,

congratulations to our beloved forum for becoming the official Oberheim forum, too.

The new design is surely a matter of taste... like it or not. But please do not remove functionality. The navigation bars above and below topics are not there anymore. Can we get that back? It makes browsing forums so much faster.

I found a remaining navigation bar in the profile page and made a screenshot just to make clear what I'm talking about.

Best wishes
jok3r
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

jok3r

Re: New Forum Design
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 11:01:29 AM »
UPDATE: there is some deep magic happening again. When using the "go to" option below a topic, then the navigation returns until you go to that subforum in another way.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 11:37:59 AM »
I'm very excited that Oberheim is part of the Sequential team, though I'm not of the $$$ wherewithal to, uh, jump for the new OB just yet!

That said, the new layout is a bit bright for my eyes. I've always liked the Sequential forum's look because of its dark layout. I'm finding myself avoiding certain sites simply cos they hurt my eyes. If I can put in a vote to pull the site a bit back to its Sequential tones, maybe once the initial buzz for the Oberheim calms...

chysn

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 11:40:14 AM »
I like the new look. The previous color scheme for the topic screen was dark text on a dark background, which made me really squint to see the topic titles. The higher contrast is welcome for us with old eyes.

Also, welcome Oberheim!
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

jok3r

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 02:07:43 PM »
I don't care about the coloring very much, so I like both designs, old and new. All I'm interested in is functionality. And I don't like it, when things change, that I rely on very much and got used to for years.

In this case my mouse is automatically looking for the navigation after reading a post... but it's gone. At least in most of the views. As I said: sometimes it's there again, e.g. when writing a post ;-)

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 05:47:18 PM »
I like the new look. The previous color scheme for the topic screen was dark text on a dark background, which made me really squint to see the topic titles. The higher contrast is welcome for us with old eyes.

Also, welcome Oberheim!

I share the aging eyes and Oberheim adoration with you... but my eyes have the opposite reaction to the screens with royal blue displayed on white, I find it very hard on the eyes.  But I have this issue with anything I can't switch to "dark mode".  Since the days of DOS and light colored characters on a black CRT, it was always easier on my eyes (even when young).
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 06:22:14 PM »

Also, welcome Oberheim!

I share the aging eyes and Oberheim adoration with you... but my eyes have the opposite reaction to the screens with royal blue displayed on white, I find it very hard on the eyes.  But I have this issue with anything I can't switch to "dark mode".  Since the days of DOS and light colored characters on a black CRT, it was always easier on my eyes (even when young).

I'm with you on "dark mode." I moved from PT to Logic a few years back, but ended up buying a new version of PT in large part because they'd implemented dark mode or whatever they're calling it.  I'm developing eye problems and I'm sure spending years staring at a screen does not help. I'm thrilled - almost weirdly so about a synth I don't imagine I'll end up owning - about the new Oberheim. As much of the world crumbles, it's wonderful to see certain circuits being connected in righteous ways. But... I'm not keen on the new look of the site, and would be pleased if there was perhaps a choice between Prophet and Oberheim screen tones! You know, a little button one could click. Maybe this is asking too much, but while we're at it, maybe a Vintage knob as well, to adjust the level of HTML...

LPF83

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 07:07:02 PM »

Also, welcome Oberheim!

I'm with you on "dark mode." I moved from PT to Logic a few years back, but ended up buying a new version of PT in large part because they'd implemented dark mode or whatever they're calling it.  I'm developing eye problems and I'm sure spending years staring at a screen does not help. I'm thrilled - almost weirdly so about a synth I don't imagine I'll end up owning - about the new Oberheim. As much of the world crumbles, it's wonderful to see certain circuits being connected in righteous ways. But... I'm not keen on the new look of the site, and would be pleased if there was perhaps a choice between Prophet and Oberheim screen tones! You know, a little button one could click. Maybe this is asking too much, but while we're at it, maybe a Vintage knob as well, to adjust the level of HTML...

I've run php forums in the past (though its been a long time), and in those cases I seem to remember having a fixed number of themes to choose from, with some degree of custom colorization available.  I do remember spending a lot of time fiddling to try to get things exactly according to plan, and ended up just settling with the pre-defined themes.  I do also remember being thankful that my use was for very small audiences (less than 50 people per forum), otherwise it probably would have been pretty hard to please everyone's color preferences.  I suppose that may be the case here as well.  I really liked the dark/orange theme... but at the same time since a single forum is being used to welcome in a new brand (er...well...  welcome in an old brand.  wait..  never mind)...   To some extent the forum change may be intended to communicate that the Oberheim brand is now a first class citizen under the Focusrite umbrella, and not just a visiting guest of Sequential.  And personally I love that this happened, so I guess I'll trade a bit of eyestrain for the chance to own a bucketlist synth like the OB-X8.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 08:57:46 PM »

"To some extent the forum change may be intended to communicate that the Oberheim brand is now a first class citizen under the Focusrite umbrella, and not just a visiting guest of Sequential.  And personally I love that this happened, so I guess I'll trade a bit of eyestrain for the chance to own a bucketlist synth like the OB-X8."

It's really a thrilling moment. We're a funny lot, we synth obsessives. The OB-X8 is simply a great thing to have in the world. I've never met Tom or Dave, but these guys, and other synth pioneers, mean much to many of us. That they're still creating fab gear is the best thing.

I don't think I'd have bothered voicing my issue with the new look of the forum except indeed I'm having eye trouble of late. Certain very white websites knock me backwards a bit. Compared to other synth/gear forums, this one has always been a pretty peaceful place to hang out, and the "dark wood and leather sofa" vibe has been part of that for me.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2022, 09:43:14 PM »

Also, welcome Oberheim!

Ahhh!!!  No!

I choose dark mode ALL of the time!
This hurts my eyes! Gah!

Please allow for dark mode!!

Also, welcome Oberheim!

[edit: I have an old theory/opinion about light vs dark background...
Anything reflective, like paper, should be light/white bkground...  anything light-based, like a monitor, or a movie screen (though reflective [but, VERY reflective!]), should "Fade to Black", and be based on a black background.]
Anyway, all of my monitors are turned down and set to dark-mode.

So... this includes the new background image which has FAR too much full-bright/white values!
...Get out of my eyes!
- I know this is a matter of opinion, but with any modern interface we should be able to choose between light and dark BkG.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 10:27:35 PM by Elric »
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2022, 11:27:24 PM »
Maybe this is asking too much, but while we're at it, maybe a Vintage knob as well, to adjust the level of HTML...

This is hilarious!
  Every time we sign into the forum it should be SLIGHTLY different!  Bahaha!

[Edit]  In fact....  the forum should look like this! ("OB_interface01.jpg")
  [Just bring the white text-BG down to this grey!]
( - But actually... I still want my dark mode!)

[Edit2:]  Here's a crappy version...  Use that light [blue-]grey for the Oberheim stuff?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 12:44:18 AM by Elric »
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2022, 01:10:21 AM »

Why the F would you use this image as a background?!

Too high contrast?

Admins: feel free to delete this message after changing the background image!  :D

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2022, 01:37:53 AM »
Here's what I meant with the Seq/Ober shade differences... (btw, this is brilliant for marketing.)

You should use two shades of white/"light bluish-gray", for Sequential and Oberheim...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 02:02:34 AM by Elric »

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2022, 02:27:37 AM »
Here's a better (darker) background image you can have...
(Should have dusted it first...)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 03:41:42 AM by Elric »

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2022, 11:58:37 AM »
Hi,

Also happy to see Obies here, but can we please, please, please have an option to revert the forum look and feel back to the old style?

The new style fries my eyeballs and also the contrast of certain features like blue on black is not as easy to read.

Regards
Derek

----------

Prophet X, Yamaha Montage 7, SY99, TG77, EX5R, AN1x, FS1r, Motif Rack ES (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-VL), Korg Kronos X61, Nord G2 Engine, and way too many VSTis!

jok3r

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2022, 01:32:32 PM »
Thank you for bringing back the navigation bars. Everything is fine for me now.  8)

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2022, 11:36:25 PM »
Hi,

Also happy to see Obies here, but can we please, please, please have an option to revert the forum look and feel back to the old style?

The new style fries my eyeballs and also the contrast of certain features like blue on black is not as easy to read.

I think the full-bright/white values at the top-left of the BkG image [right in your face as you start a thread!] is a big part of the problem for us dark mode folk.
PLEASE pick a new background image!?

(Here's another pick of a darker background, from the Oberheim demo vid...)

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2022, 12:46:05 PM »
Its the dark grey border that accentuates the white.   Is a little bright imo.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2022, 09:32:28 AM »
Hey - another nudge of encouragement to move the forum's look back to a friendlier, darker one again! I suffer occasional ocular migraines- headache-free but visually messy. Plus, I seem to have early hints of cataract as well. I'm sure as a fifty-sommat, I'm not the only one here with eyeballs going awry. The format of this forum in its new OB-friendly bright white isn't easy to look at. Please consider going retro on us in the dark wood/metal image of the glorious P5!
Thanks