Suggestions for recording studio hardware (portable)

Suggestions for recording studio hardware (portable)
« on: May 09, 2022, 01:08:58 PM »
Hi all, looking for some suggestions. I have my main studio setup using Logic with 16 audio inputs. I record with pretty much all hardware synths but use lots of drums, effects, some samples, etc. via Logic. and I'm pretty happy with my setup.

So, my 'problem'.

I spend a lot of time away from my house (studio) and often bring a synth (or two) with me for something to do while I'm away (mainly at the cottage). So I'm wondering about a recording product that'll keep me interested and productive while I'm away. Something that I could create full projects or export and bring into Logic for additional content / mixing etc.

I've been looking at the Akai MPC One - has audio inputs (only 2, but enough for at the cottage)CV, effects, sample library (so lots of drums) etc.

Would love any suggestions - thanks!

Re: Suggestions for recording studio hardware (portable)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 03:01:44 PM »
I've picked up a couple standalone boxes for purposes a bit similar to yours. I got a Tascam Model 12 in the hope of having something to do off-screen recording with. The mixer is great, the EQ and compressor are groovy. It's got MIDI, so hooking up a drum box is easy. But as a recording machine, it's - far as I can say - best as a sketch pad. Editing isn't easy nor are there so many options. I've done a bit of decent work with it knowing I'd then transfer files back into Logic, but mostly now I use the Tascam for recording live drums, not much more than that.

I grabbed a Zoom R20 and have had better luck. It's small and light and the preamps sound good. It's got built-in drums and synth sounds, which I've ended up using in spite of myself. No MIDI jacks, but USB, of course. I've done far more work with the Zoom than the Tascam, but still always with the image of shunting tracks back to Logic. I'm not great as sales-pitching, but take a sniff at the Zoom. As much as I'd like to end up recording as far from a screen as possible, I keep coming back to Logic/PT etc.

I did stick my ancient Roland VS-1824 in my suitcase and fly it home from Berlin, again with the no-screen fantasy. That was the hard disc machine I used to use before getting into Pro Tools and I have fond memories of working with it. I'm still kinda hoping to return to using it, but the fan noise alone is so off-putting.

No idea if any of this is helpful, but it's a topic near to my heart, so I couldn't help chime in!

Re: Suggestions for recording studio hardware (portable)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 05:53:49 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll check out the Zoom. Onboard drums appeal to me to keep it as much all-in-one as possible. I don't really want to be dragging around too much hardware - 1 or 2 synths and the recording devices is what I'm trying to figure out. This is partly why I've been looking at the Akai but it seems a little more of a beat box to me and only has 2 1/4" inputs.

Thanks again.
Joel