Front Panel Labels

Front Panel Labels
« on: July 21, 2016, 08:07:25 AM »
Love this synth - probably the most excited I've been about a keyboard.

However, this has been pointed out in reviews and I whole heartedly agree - many of the front panel labels are difficult to read due to their position above the knobs. I wish there was a way for DSI to make a new panel available that places the labels below the knobs. I'd pay money for that.

Re: Front Panel Labels
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 03:28:12 AM »
Interesting... On the Pro 2 all labels are below the knobs...
Would be interesting to know why they changed.
How were the labels positioned on the original OB-XA and other Oberheim synths?
RT Accelerator | DSI Pro 2 | Moog Sub 37 | Waldorf Blofeld |  Korg Volca FM | Korg Radias x2 | Yamaha Motif ES8 | Source Audio Ventris | TC Electronics M350 | Behringer Xenix X1622USB

Shaw

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 06:01:46 AM »
Interesting... On the Pro 2 all labels are below the knobs...
Would be interesting to know why they changed.
How were the labels positioned on the original OB-XA and other Oberheim synths?
Actually, I believe the labels are on the bottom on all of the other DSI offerings... Including the OB-6 desktop.
Interesting.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 06:31:11 AM »

« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 06:32:44 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

blewis

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 07:54:50 PM »
I'm not sure what the graphic design rule is, but clearly a design rule exists that relates the angle of the panel or angle of the panel to the eye whether the labels should be on the bottom or top.

A flat synth that you play clearly needs the labels on the bottom. Whereas a racked synth typically has them on top. Moog's typically have a steep enough angle they choose labels on top.

Probably could derive it from Axel's work.

I'm spending $135 on darn panel stickers to correct my JD-XA. :-)

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 06:01:08 AM »
Thx David for the side by side comparison!
Very nice to see and also to appreciate DSI's good work  :)

blewis has also a good point about the angle: flat then labels at bottom; vertical then at the top.
Apparently the panel angle of the OB-Xa is bigger than the OB6.

So they probably prefered being same as former OB-Xa than be more readable as on a Pro 2 which is almost flat for example...
RT Accelerator | DSI Pro 2 | Moog Sub 37 | Waldorf Blofeld |  Korg Volca FM | Korg Radias x2 | Yamaha Motif ES8 | Source Audio Ventris | TC Electronics M350 | Behringer Xenix X1622USB

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 07:55:27 AM »
Blewis - how are creating your lables for the JD? I may consider the same thing for the OB6.

At eye level sitting in a normal working position, it's impossible to read 50% of the labels above the rotating knobs. The push buttons are no problem of course. But seriously - how was this not considered an issue before release?

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 11:56:24 PM »
dsi kept in line with the original ob's from back in the day.

you cant please everyone and some people will not like the keyboard.

there have been many musicians in the past who have worked on these ob's with no issue whatsoever.

when i use the ob6, its in a tier keyboard rack thingy and its angled just fine for me. plus i usually stand up when fiddling with the ob6...

out of comments ive seen and heard about the ob6, i think this is the first ive heard of someone complaining about the lettering...  i understand your needs though.. :)

blewis

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2016, 08:09:15 AM »
Blewis - how are creating your lables for the JD? I may consider the same thing for the OB6.

I've placed an order for a JD-XA overlay panel from http://synthgraphics.com

The designer there has several synths he covers, but I think they're mostly Roland based.

My MEK has a Prophet style panel made by http://styleflip.com

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2016, 12:44:23 PM »
The JD-XA looks so much better with the new overlay.  I bet 90% of the users would prefer it to Roland's original glossy nightmare.

blewis

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2016, 02:48:36 PM »
It's a nightmare. The red on black is hard to read. Then it's reflective. Then there's lights further affecting you eyes to read the text. Then the labels are on top.

Train wreck graphic design fail for sure. But other owners keep mocking complainers by saying "you should have everything memorized in two days so shut up".

In our band practice with stage lights I can't read a damn thing on the panel.

Also the angular design wastes space - which in itself is fine - but it forces you into a larger case for transport which costs $40-$50 dollars for no reason and adds weight. Also the angled design totally obscures the ports on the back, so you have to physically walk around to see where the jacks are. Again, hard to deal with on stage. 

Hmm... What else... Ha ha.

The JD-XA looks so much better with the new overlay.  I bet 90% of the users would prefer it to Roland's original glossy nightmare.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 02:52:56 PM by blewis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2016, 03:05:39 PM »
Other than all that (!), how do you like the instrument itself?

Shaw

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2016, 03:19:23 PM »
Other than all that (!), how do you like the instrument itself?
+1
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2016, 05:29:49 PM »
Pretty interesting how much they cleaned up the front panel for the OB6 module. Look at the differences!

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2016, 11:10:24 PM »
The module looks so much better. Those lines on the keyboard make my eyes go funny!

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2016, 05:27:50 AM »
Worth noting: the blue lines in both the classic OB as well as the DSI OB-6 screening do not require overprint, i.e., neither the white text nor the blue "background" overlaps any other layer, i.e., is ever printed upon anything but a black powder-coated surface. It's a subtle way of providing fields to delineate function, without resorting to something like this:

To me, the OB-6 module looks much more readable, along the lines of the later-period Oberheim-branded units:

« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 05:32:00 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Shaw

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 12:59:39 PM »
Am I the only one on here NOT bothered by the blue lines???

???

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 04:06:30 PM »

They look cool enough here: http://www.rozzer.net/2016/02/27/dave-smith-instruments-ob6-review/ :

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2016, 05:01:36 PM »
I have an OB6 and personally the blue lines don't really bother me that much and it definitely has a retro vibe to it, but I appreciate the points made elsewhere about good interface design. Having worked on the OB6 for hours in the sitting the position - I have to say that the label position above the knobs is horrible. I've actually purchased and printed non-stick labels that I've put below most of the knobs. Made things a lot better for me. The OB6 desktop looks to address all of these issues.

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2016, 08:47:04 AM »

???

I have not even noticed.    Hopefully those struggling with seeing thru the blue lines and labeling don't take up Eurorack modular  ;D
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1