I finally plugged my Pro 3 straight into my old Alesis SR-16

Elric

• Peak Oil
Directly...  (just MIDI/tempo synced)

Hilarious, and kind of cool.
I wish I could play it for you.  :D
Fun fun!

Some of my favorite Pro3 sequences just became cooler and "funner".
And I don't even need a Syntakt thingy!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 02:16:00 AM by Elric »
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

Re: I finally plugged my Pro 3 straight into my old Alesis SR-16
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 10:48:10 AM »
Directly...  (just MIDI/tempo synced)

Hilarious, and kind of cool.
I wish I could play it for you.  :D
Fun fun!

Some of my favorite Pro3 sequences just became cooler and "funner".
And I don't even need a Syntakt thingy!

would u mind to explain what u did? I also got these two sitting next to me and I'm curious. :)

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 05:06:20 PM »
would u mind to explain what u did? I also got these two sitting next to me and I'm curious. :)

I just plugged a MIDI cord from the MIDI out of the Pro3 to the SR-16 MIDI in.
When I press Play on the Pro3 the drums play along.
 - Though I did notice you need the SeqParams/Restart to be set to "On"
(Also, in Global/MIDI, set MIDI Clock Mode:Out, MIDI Clock Cable Out:MIDI 1, MIDI Out Select:MIDI 1)

That should work with any drum machine, I think.
  It's just fun to have a drum beat start up with the sequence. But the old drum patterns on the SR-16 aren't that interesting, and I'm a *terrible* drum programmer.  :)

[Edit: I was also thinking you could probably do something like this with 2+ Pro3's. And get more voices in a 'live' sequence. But I don't know that it would change sequence parts when you pressed "B" or "C", etc.]
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 05:54:29 PM by Elric »
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 05:55:28 PM »

I just plugged a MIDI cord from the MIDI out of the Pro3 to the SR-16 MIDI in.
When I press Play on the Pro3 the drums play along.
 - Though I did notice you need the SeqParams/Restart to be set to "On"
(Also, in Global/MIDI, set MIDI Clock Mode:Out, MIDI Clock Cable Out:MIDI 1, MIDI Out Select:MIDI 1)

It's just fun to have a drum beat start up with the sequence. But the old drum patterns on the SR-16 aren't that interesting, and I'm a *terrible* drum programmer.  :)

much appreesh! honestly, I love all the drum patterns on the SR-16 - it's super underrated. every pattern has A and B part and even fills. dip that stuff in FX's like flangers, pitch shifters, rooms and distortions, layer it with a proper analog kick-drum and you're ready to go. :)

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 05:07:46 PM »
So, one thing I've found with this setup is - for when you want to half-time or double-time the drums...

You can turn the BPM down (or up) to half (or double), and then adjust the "Divide" to get the sequence back to the timing basic you had. - I've resaved a couple of patches with this adjustment so that they work with my drum machine. (U4P07, "Elephant" needed this. [BTW, Pattern 30 on the SR-16])