Has anyone else tried to run a synth through a guitar amp or even amp IR?

I might try this with an amp IR and my Prophet 6. I actually think it really warms the sound up quite a bit.

Shaw

You’d likely get there same results from a speaker IR in your DAW…. That “warmth” you perceive is most likely from the serious frequency roll off above 4-5k in guitar speakers.  You’ll also lose some low end. Guitar speakers will start rolling off below about 110k.

Experiment though. You may love the results.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

I sometimes run my modular through my homemade tweed champ clone. Hearing it sound differently than usual can help me make musical decisions I otherwise wouldn't have made

I used to run a couple of synths (DX7IIFD, Roland SH1000 and on odd occasions, a Yamaha PSS270-lol) through my amp back in the late 80's.  We were not a hi-fidelity band and even so, I kinda liked the sound of it.  The amp had a spring reverb in it which helped--or at least hurt in the right ways....

I started with guitar amps. Highlight was PolySix through a Roland JC-60, an amp I certainly wish I still had. I used to run synths into anything, out of fascination and necessity. I'm not a modular guy, and not an unscrew-and-look-inside electronics guy, but sound-wise, anything into anything has always been fair game. That said, it's really rare by now that I'll bother unplugging a synth from the mixer so's to try it through a pedal or an amp etc. I'm very plug-in friendly these days... and my guitars need something to do with their hands all day, so they get the pedals and amps.