Soundtower editor standalone app has MIDI issues on Windows 10

I purchased the Soundtower bundle for the editor & plugin for the Rev2. The plugin actually works quite well. The stand-alone editor has some strange issues that I can't seem to get past and I'm hoping someone else has seen my issue and can help solve it.

I'm on Windows 10 and have an older MOTU896HD interface that has "audio MIDI" drivers, even though it has no MIDI. I'm currently using a MioXM to route MIDI in my DAW and elsewhere. However, I've also tested all this using just USB connections on both my Rev2 and a Keylab 88 controller. I even tested it with a Midisport 2x2 I had collecting dust in a drawer. It doesn't seem to matter which MIDI devices I use or how they're connected. Again, the plugin is fine and my setup works beautifully with both Bitwig and Ableton. But the app has features I want to use for editing that the plugin doesn't have.

Symptom #1: The standalone app seems sluggish and slow to respond to moving it around on the desktop. The controls in the UI seem to work, but the app itself seems "laggy" for some strange reason. It's hard to explain without seeing it. Imagine trying to move the app across the screen with the mouse and the app just sits there for a solid second before creeping slowly across the screen.

Symptom #2: Playing a note on my Keylab controller always results in a short staccato note. I can't play a sustained note via MIDI while the app is up.

Symptom #3: With MIDI-Ox turned on, I can see that when the app is running pressing a note on and off results in two sets of on/off MIDI messages. With a DAW such as Bitwig or Ableton I only see one note on/off set of messages. Playing the Rev2 itself shows only one set of on/off messages.

I can live with 1, but 2 and 3 means the app just doesn't work for me. I suspect that 1 is related somehow, like the app is lagging due to a driver conflict or something.

Any suggestions for troubleshooting my setup? I'd really like to get this working...

Re: Soundtower editor standalone app has MIDI issues on Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2022, 08:53:36 PM »
Quick update: I've made some progress. By disabling the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth in the Device manager, the staccato notes and double notes went away. That device STILL shows up in the MIDI out section of the app!

The remaining issue now is that the app is still sluggish to played notes and I can't play notes quickly without lag or notes not playing at all.