Lightweight Flightcase for OB6

Lightweight Flightcase for OB6
« on: July 21, 2016, 03:34:25 AM »
Hello all,

I've been on the lookout for a lightweight case for the OB6. As its depth is too large for most 49 key cases, I was wondering if anyone owns both an OB6 and this SKB 49 key case:
http://www.skbcases.com/music/products/proddetail.php?f=&id=676&o=&c=91&s=

Despite the interior depth of the SKB being smaller than the OB6's, support @ SKB told me it might still fit nevertheless.

I'd really like to avoid a 61 key case as these are generally heavier, and I'd like to keep within 22 kg for synth+case+sustain pedal and cables

Thanks in advance for the help!

Re: Lightweight Flightcase for OB6
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 04:42:37 AM »
Actually I bought one of the SKB iseries case and the useable interior dimensions of it are 83 x 35 x 12,5 cm, which were just fine to travel with my OB6 in a plane so far.
Great case, indeed.
BTW I've no use for it so I'm now selling it ; )

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 12:52:37 AM »
Actually I bought one of the SKB iseries case and the useable interior dimensions of it are 83 x 35 x 12,5 cm, which were just fine to travel with my OB6 in a plane so far.
Great case, indeed.

hey, that's great news. is that the 3i-3614-KBD?
are you in Europe? I'm interested in buying that from you :)

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 12:06:41 AM »
Hi! Just bought an OB6 and I'm also on the hunt for a case. I was thinking of getting a Gator TSA 49. Seems like a great fit, no?

https://m.thomann.de/se/gator_tsa_49_keyboardcase.htm?o=20&ref=mrl_a_20&search=1470467095
Plays the bass (w Minimoog Voyager) and does the voice (w vocoder) in the all electronic and computer free band Göteborgselektronikerna (Gothenburg Electronic Engineers)
Musician since 25 years (mainly bass) but just recently started playing keys.

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 06:41:58 AM »
Ordered a Thon case from Thomann instead, they custom make it to the type of synth you have. The Gator case was a tad narrower than the OB6 and a bit shallower, and I don´t want to push it in. A member of the band has a Thon case for his Voyager (I´ve got the Moog luxury case ;) ) and it seems sturdy.
Plays the bass (w Minimoog Voyager) and does the voice (w vocoder) in the all electronic and computer free band Göteborgselektronikerna (Gothenburg Electronic Engineers)
Musician since 25 years (mainly bass) but just recently started playing keys.

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 11:40:46 AM »
Hello,

I am about to buy a flight case for my OB-6 and i was wondering what the experience was with both of the above mentioned cases?
- SKB iSeries 49
- Gator TSA 49 Keyboardkoffer

both work fine with the height (thickness) of the OB-6? Did you check the keyboard case in for a flight or take it onboard?

Thanks for your answers,
David

blewis

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 04:54:09 PM »
I have the SKB for the Pro2. It's a nice case. I saw the Gator at GC and it's pretty tight on dimensions. The Prophet6/OB6 are pretty tall. I think the Gator would be too tight.

I'm not in love with the feet cleats in the SKB, but you can put in extra corner padding if you need.

Buy the SKB would be my recommendation.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 05:47:22 PM by blewis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 05:14:02 PM »
Don't forget Kryptonite Cases.  They custom designed a case for my Poly Evolver Keyboard, and it's superb.  Pricey, but superb.

http://kryptonitecases.net/

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 03:39:13 AM »
Great case, indeed.

hey, that's great news. is that the 3i-3614-KBD?
are you in Europe? I'm interested in buying that from you :)

<Moderator edit: No self-promotion of commercial products on this forum.>
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 01:15:17 PM by Robot Heart »

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 08:37:39 PM »
My experience with flight cases has been patchy ...I have had all metal ones that have buckled damaging the wooden end cheeks ....I have had molded plastic that has shattered and cases where the item inside wasn't held firm enough so it was damaged by coliding with the inside of the case.

Manufacturers today call cases flight cases when they are not. If you want to find out if you have a flight case go up to you first floor window and throw your case nose first down onto the concrete below with your instrument inside ...if it survives repeat this process three more times ....because this is what can happen to flight cases during the baggage loading process.

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 06:33:26 AM »
Anyone found a good case for the OB6 Desktop?
(2) P6 Desktops, Prophet VS Rack, P10 Desktop, OB6 Desktop

lt773

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 09:10:50 AM »
Anyone found a good case for the OB6 Desktop?

I've been trying to find one as well. Maybe some kind of mixer bag would fit

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 09:13:03 AM »
I dont have the desktop (i have the keyboard) but i have a tempest . Maybe the desktop version is similar to the tempest? Dave has a bag for the tempest ..maybe fit the desktop ob6?

lt773

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 08:48:24 AM »
I dont have the desktop (i have the keyboard) but i have a tempest . Maybe the desktop version is similar to the tempest? Dave has a bag for the tempest ..maybe fit the desktop ob6?

It's not long enough. It's a really odd shape so there's not anything i've found that could work

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 05:06:51 AM »
Hello,

Just a response, I own the SKB 3i-3614-KBD case mentioned in the first post. It's absolutely brilliant, the best I could imagine. Protects very well, not too heavy, has super handles (on 3 sides, made of comfortable non-slippery rubber material), has wheels and 2 locks with keys. Fits perfectly, and there is also some room inside for the power cord or pedal - see the picture. Waterproof.

Bought from Amazon for 210 EUR (VAT and shipping included). Highly recommended.

Best wishes,
Akos
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 05:19:10 AM by Akos Janca »

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2018, 12:00:36 AM »
And for the record, a video about how it's made. Worth viewing:

The SKB iSeries - Made in the USA - YouTube

MPM

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 11:08:11 PM »
If just a “one off” trip, it could work out cheaper (and safer) to book a seat for your synth  ;D

Or even getting a desktop edition, if case + luggage excess is getting too expensive?
(I live in Australia, getting anywhere costs a fortune!)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 11:12:20 PM by MPM »
OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16  no kids