Strange issue with unflitered bass notes

Strange issue with unflitered bass notes
« on: April 23, 2022, 08:23:02 AM »
I have been having a strange issue with my OB-6 and multiple past OB-6's. In the "-1" Transpose range, certain voices will play notes with the filter completely open when played in the lower end of the keyboard. I had this issue on 2 different modules I had a couple of years ago and now I'm on my 2nd keyboard and it has done it straight out of the box in both instances. It does it irrespective of firmware version, and calibration or clearing calibration and starting over doesn't change it. It also only occurs when keyboard tracking is on "Full" and the filter cutoff knob is in the very low range, regardless of the envelope setting. I'm still in communication with technical support, but am wondering has anyone else encountered this problem? A quick way I've found to see if your unit does it is follow these steps:
1. Initialize patch
2. Set Transpose to "-1"
3. Set keyboard tracking to "Full"
4. Turn filter frequency knob completely down
5. Play notes at the bottom of the keyboard repeatedly, like the lowest E, and see if some of them sound completely unfiltered

Something interesting is that if you set transpose to "0" and tune the oscillator down an octave instead, it doesn't do it. Makes me think it's a software issue, but who knows.

Re: Strange issue with unflitered bass notes
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2022, 08:18:15 PM »
I have the OB6 Desktop module, and when controlling it from a MIDI controller with transpose down it doesn't show the issue. Perhaps it's only with the keyboard version of the OB6? And clearly a software issue.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 10:04:54 AM »
I have the OB6 Desktop module, and when controlling it from a MIDI controller with transpose down it doesn't show the issue. Perhaps it's only with the keyboard version of the OB6? And clearly a software issue.

Glad it isn't an issue with yours. I had two different modules a couple years ago and they both had the issue unfortunately.

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 12:47:52 PM »
I made a test with my OB6 keyboard running latest firmware and could not reproduce the issue

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2022, 12:34:03 PM »
Did the test as well and no issues here. Hope you get it sorted!

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2022, 12:56:29 PM »
I have been having a strange issue with my OB-6 and multiple past OB-6's. In the "-1" Transpose range, certain voices will play notes with the filter completely open when played in the lower end of the keyboard. I had this issue on 2 different modules I had a couple of years ago and now I'm on my 2nd keyboard and it has done it straight out of the box in both instances. It does it irrespective of firmware version, and calibration or clearing calibration and starting over doesn't change it. It also only occurs when keyboard tracking is on "Full" and the filter cutoff knob is in the very low range, regardless of the envelope setting. I'm still in communication with technical support, but am wondering has anyone else encountered this problem? A quick way I've found to see if your unit does it is follow these steps:
1. Initialize patch
2. Set Transpose to "-1"
5. Play notes at the bottom of the keyboard repeatedly, like the lowest E, and see if some of them sound completely unfiltered

Something interesting is that if you set transpose to "0" and tune the oscillator down an octave instead, it doesn't do it. Makes me think it's a software issue, but who knows.

Is this with local on?  If so, does it change if you turn local off?

Also, try this test..   With conditions you listed above, enable Hold and play a 3 note chord on the lowest part of the keyboard, while thats sustained play a three notes chord on the high end.  Did the low notes cut out or sustain?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 01:06:50 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 08:49:24 PM »
1. Initialize patch
2. Set Transpose to "-1"

Is this with local on?  If so, does it change if you turn local off?

Also, try this test..   With conditions you listed above, enable Hold and play a 3 note chord on the lowest part of the keyboard, while thats sustained play a three notes chord on the high end.  Did the low notes cut out or sustain?

Doesn't change with local turned off, I tested it with midi going from Ableton and it had the issue with and without local control turned on.

I tried the other thing and yes, they sustain. Tech support looked at the first keyboard I had sent back and said it's a "fringe software issue" and they aren't sure if or when it will be fixed in a future update which is kind of a bummer.

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 09:17:54 PM »
Hi everyone.

I just registered to post here, as I have the exact same issue with my unit. Patch 022 is a good example, if I try to play it in the lower notes (-2 octaves), few keys will play an unfiltered notes, and the issue will dissapear if I turn off full keyboard tracking.

Im glad Im not the only one with this problem, so its probably software related.. Ill contact tech support

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2022, 03:03:37 PM »
Hi everyone.

I just registered to post here, as I have the exact same issue with my unit. Patch 022 is a good example, if I try to play it in the lower notes (-2 octaves), few keys will play an unfiltered notes, and the issue will dissapear if I turn off full keyboard tracking.

Im glad Im not the only one with this problem, so its probably software related.. Ill contact tech support

I had this exact problem, and the solution in my case was to clear the calibration table (press MANUAL and 3)

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2022, 09:17:31 AM »
Yeah, I was able to get rid of the issue on my old module by doing that, but it didn't do the trick on my keyboard version - was the same on multiple units in fact. Luckily it's not a huge deal breaker, you can just tune the oscillators an octave lower instead of using the transpose down button on patches where the issue occurs. Hopefully they'll resolve it in future firmware.

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2022, 07:27:43 PM »
I bought an OB-6 keyboard about a year ago and I have that problem too.  I feel lucky to read this.

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2022, 03:40:02 AM »
Brand new OB-6 module. I have exactly the same problem. Clearing temperature tables didn't solve the issue...

kyps

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2023, 01:31:03 AM »
had the same issues 4 years ago … with keyboard and modules …
bought a brand new keyboard yesterday … also got this trouble again >< that’s a shame they didn’t solved it yet

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2023, 03:50:36 AM »
I just ran into this problem on my Pro3. it was only one note in the sequence.
It went away after I changed to a different patch and then back.  (?..)

This Pro3 has been mostly good. (Minus the dials being funky and the menu flipping/switching.)
And it sounds amazing.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2023, 03:53:56 AM by Elric »
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

kpatz

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2023, 05:46:33 AM »
I just ran into this problem on my Pro3. it was only one note in the sequence.
It went away after I changed to a different patch and then back.  (?..)

This Pro3 has been mostly good. (Minus the dials being funky and the menu flipping/switching.)
And it sounds amazing.
The Pro3 isn't polyphonic, so there aren't multiple voices that can go out of calibration relative to each other (other than the VCOs).  That sounds more like some automation was inadvertently added to the sequence.

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2023, 06:54:14 AM »
I have this same problem with my OB-6 module, which I control via an 88-key Kronos. This only occurs with very low notes (specifically C#1 - G#1) and only every sixth note that is played (i.e., I think only VCO seems to have this issue). Instead of the note sounding with the filter and filter envelope settings as normal, it sounds like the filter is completely open with no envelope. It will play five notes as expected, but then the sixth one will sound louder/unfiltered.

I reported this to Sequential Support via a ticket and they replied with this in June of 2022:

"We are aware of the filter wraparound issue and it is on our internal bug list. I can't say if/when this will be fixed, but it will get looked at by our software team as we work through OS updates."

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2023, 10:39:42 AM »
I have the same problem. It happens on some low notes, all notes within a fifth interval when keytrack is on full. No problems above or below those notes.. tried the fixes but they did not help.