OB-6 loud noise at power off

pfrf

OB-6 loud noise at power off
« on: October 31, 2023, 09:16:39 PM »
I know there are probably other threads about this, because how could anyone not notice it?  For the second time I forgot to take off my headphones before powering off the OB-6.  This is the only instrument I have ever owned that makes a surprise ear drum damaging noise.  Hey Sequential, I hate you too.

kpatz

Re: OB-6 loud noise at power off
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2023, 12:12:08 PM »
I always mute my mixer output before powering down, and I don’t unmute it until after powering on next time.  That eliminates the thumps coming from my synths, of which I’m sure the OB-6 is a contributor.

pfrf

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 09:56:22 PM »
I usually do that as well, but the other day I was playing the OB-6 alone just using headphones.  I forgot about the crazy shut down noise, it was a serious shock.  I take care of my hearing so it pissed me off. 

I told my partner I'm going to sell the OB-6, but after much searching I can't find a currently produced poly synth I like the sound of as well.  It seems like there's a good selection of modern poly synths, but when I started listening to all of them, the field narrowed quickly.

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2023, 03:59:34 AM »
Are you going to sell it because of the shut down noise, or because the OB6 isn’t the right synth because of the sounds?

By the way, if you are concerned about your hearing then I believe it’s good practice to always turn off speakers / unplug headphones / turn volume down every single time. You never know what sounds you may get. This goes for monitors, guitar amps, synth headphone sockets, everything - just some random interference on a cable can even cause this.

g3o2

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 04:54:27 AM »
How about a putting a limiter at the end of the mixer chain? That’s also good practice in case your sound design yields unexpected noise by accident, with any synth for that matter.

pfrf

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2023, 11:23:54 PM »
Are you going to sell it because of the shut down noise, or because the OB6 isn’t the right synth because of the sounds?

By the way, if you are concerned about your hearing then I believe it’s good practice to always turn off speakers / unplug headphones / turn volume down every single time. You never know what sounds you may get. This goes for monitors, guitar amps, synth headphone sockets, everything - just some random interference on a cable can even cause this.

Right from the outset I've had mixed feelings about the OB-6.  But I can't find anything that sounds better to me, although there are several synths that have more features, better effects, etc.  The OB-6 has a good, but slightly abrasive, core sound. 

I think my problem is a combination of the OB-6 not being a great match for our music and my frustrations with the synth itself.  I think about selling it pretty often but then I demo some other synths and come away uninspired by them.  I've never tried a Polybrute, though.

When I'm connected to the mixer I always mute everything when turning stuff on or off, it's easy to do.  But on that day I had headphones plugged directly into the headphone output on the OB-6, which I rarely do, because I was building patches for fun.

I'll be sure to always use the OB-6 connected to the mixer from now on.  And @g3o2 thanks for the suggestion, I have a limiter I can set up for this use, it's a good idea.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2023, 03:01:54 AM »
That *insanely* loud pop also happened on my Pro3.
It pissed me off too. They could have least warned us.

And, as somebody else said, always turn everything down and remove headphones, before you power up or down!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2023, 03:47:07 AM by Elric »
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2023, 09:43:08 AM »
A pop at power off is certainly not unique to Sequential synths, though the Pro3 is louder than most.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

chysn

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2023, 05:46:12 PM »
A pop at power off is certainly not unique to Sequential synths, though the Pro3 is louder than most.

Pro 3 is egregious. My Prophet 5 powers down with nary a whisper, so Sequential knows how to do this right.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his