Lag when changing presets

Lag when changing presets
« on: April 19, 2022, 11:37:56 PM »
Running OS 12.04. Ive noticed when turning the program knob, sometimes the change lags or will actually skip to the next preset. I can feel the soft detent or click on the pot indicating i’m turning the pot enough but sometimes the preset change doesn’t happen.

The only recent changes I’ve made is, 12.04 os update and installed 2 sound banks on u1 and u4.

Anyone else seeing this?

Elric

• Peak Oil
Re: Lag when changing presets
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 09:24:42 PM »
Running OS 12.04. Ive noticed when turning the program knob, sometimes the change lags or will actually skip to the next preset. I can feel the soft detent or click on the pot indicating i’m turning the pot enough but sometimes the preset change doesn’t happen.

The only recent changes I’ve made is, 12.04 os update and installed 2 sound banks on u1 and u4.

Anyone else seeing this?

When this was happening to me Sequential had me reinstall the previous PanelOS. That fixed it for me. Contact Sequential support and ask for the earlier PanelOS file. (I got version 1.0.0.1 from them.)
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 02:04:41 AM »
Ok thank you, that’s good to know. I think i may have the file on my laptop somewhere. 👍

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 08:47:32 PM »
Hello,

I have a new Pro 3 SE and I’m having the lag as well when changing the presets with the program knob. Mine sometimes doesn’t respond when the encoder is turned or it jumps a preset. I have the latest OS and Panel OS to date. Anyone have an older panel OS I can try?  Thanks!

tommy

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 12:23:48 PM »
Hello,

I have a new Pro 3 SE and I’m having the lag as well when changing the presets with the program knob. Mine sometimes doesn’t respond when the encoder is turned or it jumps a preset. I have the latest OS and Panel OS to date. Anyone have an older panel OS I can try?  Thanks!

Hi

I too have a new Pro 3 SE (second one just replaced) and I'm having the same issues and incorrect behavior with various encoders including the "PROGRAM" one. In this second, I have even higher number of encoders affected.

When I turn a single step to the right in the encoder, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it skips two values simultaneously. However, if I turn to the left, descending values, everything works fine. This happens to me even with the fine tune encoders that are above the screen.

Also with this second Pro 3 SE, I have noticed that the levels of the left and right channels of the main outputs are different. It can be adjusted on the audio interface or on monitors but it doesn't seem serious.

I'm thinking of returning it as well, despite how powerful and wonderful it can sound.

The two Pro 3 SE that I have had have consecutive serial numbers 015xx with the latest versions installed:

- The newest main OS 1.2.0.4
- The newest panel OS version 1.1.0.13

Any information is appreciated if anyone has had these problems and has been able to solve them

Cheers

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 01:46:17 PM »
Hello,

Your description is exactly what is happening to me. Identical encoder behavior. This leads me to believe it’s more to do with Main/Panel OS rather than a hardware issue. I also have the latest OS but I acquired the previous Main/Panel OS from Sequential Support and I’ll let you know if that works. Obviously using the older OS isn’t preferred but at least if it works I’ll know it’s not hardware related. I’ll get back with you after I’ve flashed with older OS.

Take care

tommy

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2023, 02:04:23 PM »
Hello,

Your description is exactly what is happening to me. Identical encoder behavior. This leads me to believe it’s more to do with Main/Panel OS rather than a hardware issue. I also have the latest OS but I acquired the previous Main/Panel OS from Sequential Support and I’ll let you know if that works. Obviously using the older OS isn’t preferred but at least if it works I’ll know it’s not hardware related. I’ll get back with you after I’ve flashed with older OS.

Take care

Great
Let's see if this solves the problem of the encoders and Sequential can do something for us via OS. I'm concerned that some encoders work fine and others don't, like on a hardware level they seem to have a different sensitivity when turned.

Thanks

tommy

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2023, 02:10:52 PM »
Hello,

Take care

Great
Let's see if this solves the problem of the encoders and Sequential can do something for us via OS. I'm concerned that some encoders work fine and others don't, like on a hardware level they seem to have a different sensitivity when turned.

Thanks

I add a temporary link where you can download some small videos and I show the issue of the encoders and the noise it emits when I turn it on:

https://we.tl/t-BjMftIyZmH
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 02:16:16 PM by tommy »

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2023, 04:33:14 PM »
So I loaded the previous main and panel os but that didn’t correct the issue. 😢 I then reloaded the current main and panel os and to my surprise all the encoders are working perfectly now. I did a global reset each time I updated the software for each of the main and panel os’s. I’ve run through the different encoders and I haven’t had any of them skip or miss when making changes. So the only other thing I had done was move the tilt of the panel up and down (SE Version) a couple of times but I can’t see how that could have made a difference unless there is a loose ribbon cable. I might check those just to be sure. So at the moment I think we are good. I hope. 😃

*be sure to reset globals each time you flash with the new OS
*I also changed the transmit speed to 75% and the transmit buffer size to 256 in SysEx Librarian Software
*the order the files are below is the order I installed them in

CORRECTION!!!!

I wanted to make a correction to my last post. It seems that what actually fixed the encoder issue was installing the current Main OS V1.2.0.4 but then using the previous Panel OS V1.1.0.0

The only thing you lose with using the previous Panel OS is when powering on you don’t see the PRO 3 logo on the display.

Seems to me there is a bug in the newest Panel OS V1.1.0.13

Sorry to have made this confusing but it took me several attempts to sort it out.

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 05:27:23 PM by Rimshot1971 »

tommy

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2023, 12:30:32 PM »
So I loaded the previous main and panel os but that didn’t correct the issue. 😢 I then reloaded the current main and panel os and to my surprise all the encoders are working perfectly now. I did a global reset each time I updated the software for each of the main and panel os’s. I’ve run through the different encoders and I haven’t had any of them skip or miss when making changes. So the only other thing I had done was move the tilt of the panel up and down (SE Version) a couple of times but I can’t see how that could have made a difference unless there is a loose ribbon cable. I might check those just to be sure. So at the moment I think we are good. I hope. 😃

*be sure to reset globals each time you flash with the new OS
*I also changed the transmit speed to 75% and the transmit buffer size to 256 in SysEx Librarian Software
*the order the files are below is the order I installed them in

CORRECTION!!!!

I wanted to make a correction to my last post. It seems that what actually fixed the encoder issue was installing the current Main OS V1.2.0.4 but then using the previous Panel OS V1.1.0.0

The only thing you lose with using the previous Panel OS is when powering on you don’t see the PRO 3 logo on the display.

Seems to me there is a bug in the newest Panel OS V1.1.0.13

Sorry to have made this confusing but it took me several attempts to sort it out.

Hope this helps

Hi,

Thank you very much for taking the time to try all this out and provide a solution to this strange behavior of the Pro 3 encoders. I'm going to install this old OS panel ASAP and see if it does anything for me.

If this works and I confirm that the signal difference between the left and right channel of the main outputs is normal (2 dB), the Pro 3 SE finally stays with me. If anyone has similar levels on the main output of their Pro 3, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know.

Thanks again !!!

tommy

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2023, 12:04:31 PM »
Hi,
Having had the same lag issue with different encoders, I can confirm that installing the old Panel OS fixes the problem.
I've tested the old version of panel pro3Panel_v1.1.0.0.syx alongside Main OS 1.2.0.4 (latest) and now all encoders work perfectly. It is a clear software problem, nothing related to encoder tolerances.

Cheers

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2023, 04:05:55 PM »
Hi,
Having had the same lag issue with different encoders, I can confirm that installing the old Panel OS fixes the problem.
I've tested the old version of panel pro3Panel_v1.1.0.0.syx alongside Main OS 1.2.0.4 (latest) and now all encoders work perfectly. It is a clear software problem, nothing related to encoder tolerances.

Cheers

That's kind of what I thought too.
The encoders ticked me off at first. But they can act differently depending on the software/firmware.
They can "over-respond", or "under-respond" according to which software you have.
Though, maybe the encoders are not perfect, it seems that they are not so much defective as they are "light touch", depending (again) on the software. - [Again, software dependent(?)] - Sometimes they don't switch as often as you/I would like, and sometimes (other PanelOS) they switch VERY sensitively!
And MAN!, did that piss me off initially!
But, as somebody else said somewhere. This synth has multiple personalities. And I have said somewhere, "I put up with a little funkiness because this thing sounds Fg amazing."

:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2023, 01:49:50 AM »
Hi there, Rimshot1971 and tommy, saviours of pot-ergonomic-sequencing experience; the combination of latest Pro3-Main-OS and re-installation older Pro3-Panel-OS solves encoder lag problem of program pot and pot 1 (left) above the screen. It is all working step-precise now as on a new machine a year and a half ago (serial no. 02006). When after a few months of use the screen pot started loosing it, especially when switching direction, it was quite a mood killer. Even more so when learning from

https://support.sequential.com/hc/en-gb/articles/5315116591378-Pro-3-SE-Troubleshooting

this ought to be accepted as normal behaviour. I got the same answer from sequential technical support with a suggestion to update to the latest Panel-OS, which was 1.1.0.12 at the time when asking them for a solution. I am pretty sure now the lag occurred under my fingers after some update in november 2021 - january 2022 period.

I guess many Pro-3 users and Sequential technical team would be more than happy to hear about the solution, which at the moment is not easy to find under the "Lag when changing presets" paragraph inside the forum. I guess a timeline of synth production butches and OS updates could solve the problem for many or most users who got in hold of the lovely synth since it appeared on the market.

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2023, 06:48:46 AM »
Hi there, Rimshot1971 and tommy, saviours of pot-ergonomic-sequencing experience; the combination of latest Pro3-Main-OS and re-installation older Pro3-Panel-OS solves encoder lag problem of program pot and pot 1 (left) above the screen. It is all working step-precise now as on a new machine a year and a half ago (serial no. 02006). When after a few months of use the screen pot started loosing it, especially when switching direction, it was quite a mood killer. Even more so when learning from

https://support.sequential.com/hc/en-gb/articles/5315116591378-Pro-3-SE-Troubleshooting

this ought to be accepted as normal behaviour. I got the same answer from sequential technical support with a suggestion to update to the latest Panel-OS, which was 1.1.0.12 at the time when asking them for a solution. I am pretty sure now the lag occurred under my fingers after some update in november 2021 - january 2022 period.

I guess many Pro-3 users and Sequential technical team would be more than happy to hear about the solution, which at the moment is not easy to find under the "Lag when changing presets" paragraph inside the forum. I guess a timeline of synth production butches and OS updates could solve the problem for many or most users who got in hold of the lovely synth since it appeared on the market.

Hey!

I’m so glad this combination has been working for those with the encoder issues. I have already contacted support and they are aware of this being a fix. But who knows if we will see an updated Main OS and Panel OS. But for now I’m just happy they work correctly now. It was truly annoying. My serial on my SE is (1367). Looks like this encoder issue has been going on for a long time.

BTW, this is fantastic! Lol

“ Saviours of pot-ergonomic-sequencing experience”.

Take care,
Matthew

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2023, 06:49:12 AM »
This worked for me as well. Does anyone know if there were any bug fixes in .13 that would be missing by staying on the older version? Or is it just the PRO 3 logo? I can't find patch notes for it.