Wood question

Wood question
« on: April 15, 2022, 06:30:24 PM »
I just noticed that the Prophet 5 and 10 photos on the site have duplicate shots from the same angle but the wood is significantly different. Was this done intentionally to show the inconsistency of wood color and grain from unit to unit or what?

Re: Wood question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 04:59:20 AM »
I just noticed that the Prophet 5 and 10 photos on the site have duplicate shots from the same angle but the wood is significantly different. Was this done intentionally to show the inconsistency of wood color and grain from unit to unit or what?

Yes, the lighter photos were added after people moaned about done examples containing lighter wood. Guess it’s to say “look, it’s normal”.

Bax have about 7 B-stock P10s in so one can see exactly what one is getting before purchasing.

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 06:32:52 AM »

Yes, the lighter photos were added after people moaned about done examples containing lighter wood. Guess it’s to say “look, it’s normal”.

Bax have about 7 B-stock P10s in so one can see exactly what one is getting before purchasing.

So it's a gamble a bit in terms of ordering as to what type of wood you'll get?

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 07:52:22 AM »

So it's a gamble a bit in terms of ordering as to what type of wood you'll get?

Wood has a lot of variation by nature of what it is...  from what I've seen though, after the complaints that emerged with the units produced in the first few months, some attention was given to consistency.  So, I haven't observed complaints during the last 12 months or so.

I also haven't seen any units that have as much color variation as the "extreme" example in the photo.  I have seen some vintage units with similar variation though.  I think the anomalies look kind of cool actually.  Some of the units I saw were a bit more blonde than brunette, but they still looked great -- a little different but great. 

I was thrilled with mine when it arrived..  both in tone of the stain and the wood grain pattern
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 01:08:45 PM »
I see it as a good thing the wood differs, makes every unit unique.

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2022, 01:53:38 PM »
Here's a pic of my wife's rev 3 and my rev 4. I don't know much about woods etc, but my P5 is a little "softer" to the eye - hers has the classic "red" twang.

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2022, 02:49:58 PM »
I see it as a good thing the wood differs, makes every unit unique.

Unless it's not pleasing to the user's eye.

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 03:26:22 PM »
Back in the day, they used walnut and dyed it so that the sap wood would be consistent with the heartwood.
We had a client once who wanted to get panels for his pro3 se because it looked nothing like the photos so when I got my hands on the original panel set, I sanded it down only to find that the walnut was almost grey which could be English walnut or just very very low quality lumber. They may have dyed or stain the wood to have a richer color. However nothing beats using high quality lumber with proper oils to bring the Color’s out .

For examples of high quality woods check this out

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ccf42KWOzkw/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Prophet~6|Prophet~10 Rev3|Prophet~10 Rev4|OB-6|OB-Xa |Minimoog Model-D (reissue)|Tempest|DMX|LinnDrum|Drumtraks