OB6 owners - will you keep yours if an OBX/OBXa is released?

Re: OB6 owners - will you keep yours if an OBX/OBXa is released?
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2022, 12:21:57 AM »
Would keep the OB-6 as it has a different modern architecture and tends to be very versatile. Still a different great classic.

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2022, 01:53:16 PM »
I'll be keeping it, still want a 2nd module companion for her.

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2022, 11:52:33 PM »
Iím getting an OB-X8 and will probably use it heavily in the studio, along with my P10r4. My OB-6 has been the workhorse synth of my setup for years and it will probably see less action but I wonít be getting rid of it. Thereís no way Iím lugging around a 33lb, 61-key monster to every session!

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2022, 08:00:10 PM »
The OB6 was expensive for me, I won't be getting this new OB. Aside from that, I don't see why people would sell an OB6 for the OBX8, it's a seperate synth with seperate sounds. Years down the road the OB6 may become highly sought after because it is the only synth that is the result of these two great synth legends. Seems to happen with synths, people realize years later how great they were.

LPF83

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2022, 04:30:12 AM »
The OB6 was expensive for me, I won't be getting this new OB. Aside from that, I don't see why people would sell an OB6 for the OBX8, it's a seperate synth with seperate sounds. Years down the road the OB6 may become highly sought after because it is the only synth that is the result of these two great synth legends. Seems to happen with synths, people realize years later how great they were.

I totally agree -- different synths, future legendary instrument, and hindsight is 20/20.  Although in the case of why people would sell an OB6 for the OBX8, there are lots of valid reasons that come to mind (money, physical space, etc).  Even I'm at place where I need to carefully manage physical space in my studio, and I need to be sure every instrument acquired from here on out has a distinct functional purpose and is not just a nice-to-have collectors item.  Regardless, my OB6 will stay in my studio.
Prophet 10, Prophet 6, OB-6, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2022, 06:08:12 PM »
Nevermind *keeping* it, I actively REBOUGHT an OB-6 after everything was revealed with the OB-X8. Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely synth and would love one, but for the money and the lack of features that are in the OB-6 - if anything it made me realise how great my previous OB-6 was (used in a ton of my music - a real inspiration machine). I had sold the other one after the rumours started about an OB-X reissue but I didn't think it would lack some of the best parts of the Ob-6 and also seems to have too much menu diving and shift key usage. OB-6 is more hands on like my Prophet 10! I just love the tone of the OB-6 anyway so even if the X8 sounds more vintage, it doesn't mean it sounds all round 'better' to me... just different. Contrast with the P6 vs Prophet rev 4s where I was never happy with the P6's tone but the Prophet 10/5 rev 4 sound awesome so I don't mind the pared back features.

Prophet 10 Rev 4 (Keyboard) | OB-6 (Keyboard)

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2022, 06:11:13 PM »

Agreed... I love that it's a proper mash up between Dave and Tom in (seemingly) a more coherent way than the new X8 is, which is a bit more Oberheim designed (obviously sequential and Dave had a say in it too).

I do think the OB-6 is the best all round 'modern' analog poly synth and will def be HIGHLY sought after in years to come when you can't buy them new anymore. I doubt the same of the Prophet 6 as it's just not as nice sounding or as revered.. it's a good work tool but that's it.
Prophet 10 Rev 4 (Keyboard) | OB-6 (Keyboard)

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2022, 03:44:37 PM »
I'm still waiting for Sequential to update the website with the OB6 having the "Oberheim" logo officially.