OB6 owners - will you keep yours if an OBX/OBXa is released?

Re: OB6 owners - will you keep yours if an OBX/OBXa is released?
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2022, 12:21:57 AM »
Would keep the OB-6 as it has a different modern architecture and tends to be very versatile. Still a different great classic.

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2022, 01:53:16 PM »
I'll be keeping it, still want a 2nd module companion for her.

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2022, 11:52:33 PM »
I’m getting an OB-X8 and will probably use it heavily in the studio, along with my P10r4. My OB-6 has been the workhorse synth of my setup for years and it will probably see less action but I won’t be getting rid of it. There’s no way I’m lugging around a 33lb, 61-key monster to every session!

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2022, 08:00:10 PM »
The OB6 was expensive for me, I won't be getting this new OB. Aside from that, I don't see why people would sell an OB6 for the OBX8, it's a seperate synth with seperate sounds. Years down the road the OB6 may become highly sought after because it is the only synth that is the result of these two great synth legends. Seems to happen with synths, people realize years later how great they were.

LPF83

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2022, 04:30:12 AM »
The OB6 was expensive for me, I won't be getting this new OB. Aside from that, I don't see why people would sell an OB6 for the OBX8, it's a seperate synth with seperate sounds. Years down the road the OB6 may become highly sought after because it is the only synth that is the result of these two great synth legends. Seems to happen with synths, people realize years later how great they were.

I totally agree -- different synths, future legendary instrument, and hindsight is 20/20.  Although in the case of why people would sell an OB6 for the OBX8, there are lots of valid reasons that come to mind (money, physical space, etc).  Even I'm at place where I need to carefully manage physical space in my studio, and I need to be sure every instrument acquired from here on out has a distinct functional purpose and is not just a nice-to-have collectors item.  Regardless, my OB6 will stay in my studio.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2022, 06:08:12 PM »
Nevermind *keeping* it, I actively REBOUGHT an OB-6 after everything was revealed with the OB-X8. Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely synth and would love one, but for the money and the lack of features that are in the OB-6 - if anything it made me realise how great my previous OB-6 was (used in a ton of my music - a real inspiration machine). I had sold the other one after the rumours started about an OB-X reissue but I didn't think it would lack some of the best parts of the Ob-6 and also seems to have too much menu diving and shift key usage. OB-6 is more hands on like my Prophet 10! I just love the tone of the OB-6 anyway so even if the X8 sounds more vintage, it doesn't mean it sounds all round 'better' to me... just different. Contrast with the P6 vs Prophet rev 4s where I was never happy with the P6's tone but the Prophet 10/5 rev 4 sound awesome so I don't mind the pared back features.

Prophet 10 Rev 4 (Keyboard) | Trigon-6 (Keyboard) | OB-6 (Keyboard)

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2022, 06:11:13 PM »

Agreed... I love that it's a proper mash up between Dave and Tom in (seemingly) a more coherent way than the new X8 is, which is a bit more Oberheim designed (obviously sequential and Dave had a say in it too).

I do think the OB-6 is the best all round 'modern' analog poly synth and will def be HIGHLY sought after in years to come when you can't buy them new anymore. I doubt the same of the Prophet 6 as it's just not as nice sounding or as revered.. it's a good work tool but that's it.
Prophet 10 Rev 4 (Keyboard) | Trigon-6 (Keyboard) | OB-6 (Keyboard)

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2022, 03:44:37 PM »
I'm still waiting for Sequential to update the website with the OB6 having the "Oberheim" logo officially.

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2022, 06:54:42 PM »
Nevermind *keeping* it, I actively REBOUGHT an OB-6 after everything was revealed with the OB-X8.

Funny you should say that because that's exactly the feeling I have. I've already got an OB6 Desktop and was thinking of getting a second one to use in PolyChain mode in order to get a 12-voice Oberheim Polysynth, instead of getting the OB-X8. As a bonus, I would still have some money left for other interesting stuff too.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2022, 12:05:46 PM »
Nevermind *keeping* it, I actively REBOUGHT an OB-6 after everything was revealed with the OB-X8.

Funny you should say that because that's exactly the feeling I have. I've already got an OB6 Desktop and was thinking of getting a second one to use in PolyChain mode in order to get a 12-voice Oberheim Polysynth, instead of getting the OB-X8. As a bonus, I would still have some money left for other interesting stuff too.

I was thinking along these same lines of adding a module should I decide to beef up my Oberheim needs.  Besides, I ran out of room too and I cannot finger point anything I want to get rid of. 
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2022, 02:47:55 AM »
I'm still waiting for Sequential to update the website with the OB6 having the "Oberheim" logo officially.

Isn’t it just a sticker and on the front only? I’d be interested to know whether they’ll screen print Oberheim front and back.

LPF83

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2022, 07:36:34 AM »
Luke posted a good video showing why I will keep my OB-6 even after getting the OBX8 desktop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzcpYpx_nRk&ab_channel=LukeNeptune
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2022, 04:05:19 AM »
“OB6 owners - will you keep yours if an OBX/OBXa is released?”

No, as soon as the OBX8 was announced I dismantled my OB6, melted it down, and made a new toilet bowl out of it so I could take a dump on the worthless piece of crap every single day.

In all seriousness I find that such a weird question. The OB6 is, for me, a great instrument - and remains so no matter what other instruments are released. I never had an obsession with the ‘Oberheim’ thing, and frankly I cringe every time someone mentions the words ‘Jump’ or ‘Sawyer’ when doing a review of anything vaguely Oberheimy. Obsession over a couple of really specific sounds from two songs which are 40-45 years old! I got the OB6 because I loved it so much when I was able to play on one, and at the time was lucky enough to be able to afford it.

It’s similar to the whole Prophet thing. When the P08 came out (another fantastic instrument in my view) everyone was obsessed with comparing it to the ‘original’ Prophet 5 (whatever the ‘original’ could be) rather than looking at what it could do - and it’s great. Same thing with the P6. Of course no one really made this comparison with the P12 or PX - on those ones people accepted that they were ‘different’ types of instruments and didn’t try to painstakingly compare them to some ancient P5 lying around somehow. With the ‘new’ P5/P10 they seem to be marketed as essentially ‘new’ versions of the ‘original’ run of Prophets - which I guess is what the OBX8 is marketed as in regards the original run of Oberheims.

So I don’t have a desire to ever compare the OB6 to an old Oberheim, or to the OBX8 - I love it as an instrument in its own right, and that’s the end of that. It’s inspiring to me (the most important thing for me personally), and I think the quest for the ‘best’ synth of whatever can never end - apart from in bankruptcy perhpas!