Oberheim OB-X8

Re: Oberheim OB-X8
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2022, 08:46:17 AM »
The real question with this Oberheim announcement to me is....what's next? Will newly made OB6s have the original Oberheim Logo?

They already do.

Haven't seen a single picture or video to confirm this.

Shaw

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2022, 09:45:07 AM »
...  I liked Van Halen but honestly "Jump" never impressed me…

Blasphemer! 

All joking aside, I always found it odd that one of the most famous “Oberheim sounds” is the simplest to make. Slightly detune the saws and open up that filter. Done.

Eddie was a skilled and creative guitarist, but when Jump hit the radio it was kind of like "look Eddie got a new toy!"... lol.  It seemed to me more or less just stuck onto their music as a novelty.  It is interesting that the intro it became such a ubiquitous riff for demoing synths though -- playing it can tell the ear a lot about the overall sound of an instrument.

Gene Simmons talked about this after Eddie passed. Eddie wanted to do something different and didn't want to do a guitar oriented track anymore. When they previewed the song to Gene and others, everyone was like "You can't have a Van Halen song without a guitar!" so Eddie through a small solo in to compliment the keyboard solo. They told him it would be a huge flop and their fans would be disappointed.

Well...

In rock bands, a lot of times there was friction between guitar players (who are notorious for wanting to steal the show) and keyboard players, because synths can dominate the mid range and drown out guitars.  So I think in some ways Eddie was trying to get in front of all that by being the keyboard guy if a keyboard guy was needed.

Speaking of synths and rock and roll… I’d love to see Oberheim roll out some demos featuring Jens Johansson!   😂🤘🤘😂👀
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2022, 02:05:29 PM »
The real question with this Oberheim announcement to me is....what's next? Will newly made OB6s have the original Oberheim Logo?

They already do.

7.52 onwards in this video:

And confirmed elsewhere in a GS or Sequential forum thread I read from a new buyer.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 02:07:46 PM by Quatschmacher »

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2022, 05:00:03 PM »

They already do.

7.52 onwards in this video:

And confirmed elsewhere in a GS or Sequential forum thread I read from a new buyer.

Strange the Sequential stock photo hasn't been updated then like it was with the REV2.

Shaw

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2022, 09:28:23 PM »
@Paul  Can we go ahead and get an OB-X8 thread?  I know this isn’t actually a Sequential synth, but with the recent collaborative efforts of Dave and Tom, it seems fitting.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LPF83

« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2022, 03:09:40 AM »
@Paul  Can we go ahead and get an OB-X8 thread?  I know this isn’t actually a Sequential synth, but with the recent collaborative efforts of Dave and Tom, it seems fitting.

It could potentially be placed alongside the TORAIZ topic.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2022, 03:54:31 AM »

There you go.

Shaw

« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2022, 04:57:48 AM »

There you go.

Thanks!

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2022, 10:46:39 AM »
I've seen pictures frommusicradar, and seems, there is only lowpass filter, nk filter mode knob at all ;-(
Prophet 6, Kurzweil Forte SE, GEM Promega 2

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2022, 11:38:01 AM »
I've seen pictures frommusicradar, and seems, there is only lowpass filter, nk filter mode knob at all ;-(

"Additional SEM Filter modes add high-pass, band-pass, and notch functions to the classic OB-X filter"
Maybe it's a menu option?

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2022, 06:16:19 PM »
I see quite a bit of backlash online in regards to the color/look of the synth. Although it's the same look as the original OBX, I do wonder if the reaction is going to spark a Black/blue line OBXa/OB6 style option.

LPF83

« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2022, 04:42:08 AM »
I see quite a bit of backlash online in regards to the color/look of the synth. Although it's the same look as the original OBX, I do wonder if the reaction is going to spark a Black/blue line OBXa/OB6 style option.

Back in the day I never considered the original OBX a beautiful instrument.  However, because of its iconic status, the history and nostalgia behind the design makes the otherwise drab color scheme beautiful these days.

Once a re-issue of a design (I do understand this is not a synth re-issue but many of the design aspects are reissued here) starts to deviate from the original, it can become a bit risky or polarizing, because then the design no longer has the nostalgia alone to hold it up. 

There are two primary cosmetic elements of the OBX8 that I think make it look considerably different form an OBX:   

1) The area behind the control panel where the OBX logo went....  I assume this was present on the original to accomodate electrical components that are not present in the new model and / or help with heat dissipation and thus tuning stability
2) The black rubberized trim along the edges of the end cheeks

For #1 -- I'm sure that was probably a tough call.  The original OBX was a huge synth designed primarily for professional musicians, while these days overall size and bulk of a synth can be a sink or swim proposition in a market where many buyers are enthusiasts with limited space in a bedroom studio, with lots of small-profile or software alternatives available.  It probably didn't make business sense to add hugely to the weight and size just to be able to say the case is like the original.  Even if the additional footprint didn't hurt sales, at minimum it would have had lots of whiners on GS shedding tears of angst.
For #2 -- I actually think the black edges are an important part of the look of the original OBX, because looking at it from the top it allows the edges to blend nicely with the case and black label backgrounds, where brown does tend to clash with the color scheme a bit.  Fortunately this is a very easy thing to remedy if one wanted..   Coat the edges with black plastidip for a temporary solution that's relatively easy to "undo" if desired, or just get a second set of wooden end cheeks and paint the edges or all of them black.  I will say I think the particular wood pattern and color of the end cheeks is a bold choice that I have not yet completely warmed up to (especially since it looks different than the original wood), but it's nothing that would impact my desire to own the synth.

I'm holding out for a desktop version, where none of this will matter much to me.  I actually like the color scheme from a practical standpoint because I like to design sounds and write music in dim light, so a white font on black background becomes a very good thing, even moreso as my eyes begin to age.  In the lighting conditions I prefer, I struggle to see the grey fonts above the number buttons on the Prophets 5 and 6; thankfully these are less frequently accessed functions so its not a big deal, but the white fonts of the OB6 are easier on the eyes.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 04:45:11 AM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LPF83

« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2022, 05:03:32 PM »
I don't know if I'd call this a competitor, but here it is..
Lots of features...  the sound?  uhh.... never mind.  I guess it's one of those "you get what you pay for" situations.

Dan Chat

• Live and let live
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2022, 11:08:50 AM »
Seems like it's a better investment than the Prophet 5/10 REV 4s
Dan Chatterton