Oberheim OB-X8

Re: Oberheim OB-X8
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2022, 05:20:29 AM »
Seems like it's a better investment than the Prophet 5/10 REV 4s

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2022, 05:25:11 AM »
Sold.

I was literally just getting ready to say the same thing.  Although I'm going to add the caveat that I'm waiting for the desktop version, which I assume will be MSRP $3300 ish.  In theory I *could* make room for the keyboard version but it would result in less than ideal ergonomics, I want this module sitting right in front of my primary MIDI controller with pitch and mod wheels instead of paddles.  But yeah if it goes like a year with no announcement of desktop version I'd probably get the kb.

Keep in mind the point of the paddles is to control the oscillators individually as opposed to one wheel controlling them both.

LPF83

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2022, 05:35:34 AM »

Do you mean for your particular needs or in terms of the future resell value? 

In terms of where it fits on my sound pallette, I am expecting this synth to be to my P10 what my OB6 is to my P6.....  a synth with an enormous amount of character that brings something truly special, at the expense of versatility of sound...  Where the Prophet is more of a swiss army knife (I'm not kidding, the Rev4 can replicate the sound of acoustic instruments), I'm expecting the OBX8 to be unapologetically Oberheim sounding regardless of knob settings.  I could always be wrong of course, but they are different tools for different jobs with the Prophet line being able to cover a lot more jobs.

But in terms of future resale value, you might be right simply because this could be Tom's swan song, and while it probably won't be the last synth made with the Oberheim name, it might be the last one he makes before retiring for good.   And I guess Dave could retire at any time as well, but there are more of his synths available for sale, whereas the OBX8, in its current state, will be rare by comparison.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LPF83

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2022, 05:38:52 AM »
Sold.

I was literally just getting ready to say the same thing.  Although I'm going to add the caveat that I'm waiting for the desktop version, which I assume will be MSRP $3300 ish.  In theory I *could* make room for the keyboard version but it would result in less than ideal ergonomics, I want this module sitting right in front of my primary MIDI controller with pitch and mod wheels instead of paddles.  But yeah if it goes like a year with no announcement of desktop version I'd probably get the kb.

Keep in mind the point of the paddles is to control the oscillators individually as opposed to one wheel controlling them both.

Fair point, but with my style of playing I'm less likely to do that than I am to move the mod wheel to a certain position that's controlling something like channel vibrato, leave it there for a second or two then play with two hands, then move it back to original position etc. than I am to fiddle with two oscillators independently in real time.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2022, 06:30:52 AM »

Neither. For the money, it's a better investment based on it's capabilities and versatility of features compared to the P10

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2022, 06:32:33 AM »
Sold.

Fair point, but with my style of playing I'm less likely to do that than I am to move the mod wheel to a certain position that's controlling something like channel vibrato, leave it there for a second or two then play with two hands, then move it back to original position etc. than I am to fiddle with two oscillators independently in real time.

That's assuming the paddles CAN control channel vibrato....which is unlikely given the approach of the synth.

LPF83

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2022, 07:09:20 AM »

Neither. For the money, it's a better investment based on it's capabilities and versatility of features compared to the P10

An investment means contributing something toward the goal of obtaining a greater future return.  I'd like to understand your logic here.  Subjective individual valuation aside (i.e. one musician preferring an Obie sound to a Prophet or whatever)....  what is the future return of a synth?

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2022, 07:15:18 AM »

An investment means contributing something toward the goal of obtaining a greater future return.  I'd like to understand your logic here.  Subjective individual valuation aside (i.e. one musician preferring an Obie sound to a Prophet or whatever)....  what is the future return of a synth?

You win Mr. Spock. You win.

LPF83

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2022, 07:17:45 AM »

Fortunately music isn't a sport to me and I wasn't hoping to win anything, I genuinely was trying to understand your thought.

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2022, 07:54:00 AM »

Fortunately music isn't a sport to me and I wasn't hoping to win anything, I genuinely was trying to understand your thought.

"Sometimes A Feeling Is All We Humans Have To Go On." ;)

LPF83

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2022, 04:06:42 PM »

If you just meant you'd prefer it to the Rev4, then fair enough.  I just think there may be an interesting discussion in there about synths as an investment (because increasingly, I do see them as such, in the true meaning of the word).

The OB-X and OB-Xa command higher prices on the used market compared to vintage P5, is that because there were less units made or because they were less durable and thus there are less remaining?   Etc..   I'm a synth geek and into that sort of topic.  I'm unqualified as a Star trek geek having literally never watched an entire episode nor seen any of the movies... I had to google your quote to understand the reference. lol
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 04:08:22 PM by LPF83 »

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2022, 04:26:44 PM »

If you just meant you'd prefer it to the Rev4, then fair enough.  I just think there may be an interesting discussion in there about synths as an investment (because increasingly, I do see them as such, in the true meaning of the word).

The OB-X and OB-Xa command higher prices on the used market compared to vintage P5, is that because there were less units made or because they were less durable and thus there are less remaining?   Etc..   I'm a synth geek and into that sort of topic.  I'm unqualified as a Star trek geek having literally never watched an entire episode nor seen any of the movies... I had to google your quote to understand the reference. lol

I look at it in terms of value for money spent. Stereo signal, more memory, arpeggiator, dedicated splits/layer section etc. Compare that to a Prophet 10 REV4 barebones approach, it's hard to not feel that Dave should have just went a bit more further with the REV4 as Tom is doing with the OBX8. These aren't deal breakers for some obviously but to me the OBX8 feels more like a new instrument rather than a reissue with a few modern accommodations. Sort of like comparing the Two Voice Pro to the Moog Model D reissue. Tom seems to be a bit more forward thinking compared to the other analog synth brands of old in terms of reissues (I remember speaking with a rep from Korg about the ARP 2600 FS and I asked how do I clock the sequencer to a MIDI clock and then they realized....well...you can't....there's MIDI on the module but there's no way to sync the sequencer which was built into the keyboard and he even admitted that was an oversight).....Tom seems to have thought all the details through and I'm genuinely happy for him.

Something that's interesting to me coming from the Soundtrack world is that Prophets were EVERYWHERE and Oberheim OBX/as were barely anywhere. I've also noticed a lot of New Wave bands tended to gravitate towards the Prophet and more American rock bands were OBX/a oriented. I think because the Oberheim sound tends to cut through a mix better. Most of the soundtracks that had an Oberheim used the SEM Four Voice but any soundtracks that used an OBX/a almost always had it playing alongside a Prophet (Terminator) or orchestra (The Exterminator, Maniac Cop, Invasion U.S.A.). I think the only scores to feature an OBX/a solely was Rob Walsh's scores for Revenge Of The Ninja and Young Warriors. Just an OBXa, DMX drum machine and Les Paul.

LPF83

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2022, 05:14:00 PM »

I look at it in terms of value for money spent. Stereo signal, more memory, arpeggiator, dedicated splits/layer section etc. Compare that to a Prophet 10 REV4 barebones approach, it's hard to not feel that Dave should have just went a bit more further with the REV4 as Tom is doing with the OBX8. These aren't deal breakers for some obviously but to me the OBX8 feels more like a new instrument rather than a reissue with a few modern accommodations. Sort of like comparing the Two Voice Pro to the Moog Model D reissue. Tom seems to be a bit more forward thinking compared to the other analog synth brands of old in terms of reissues (I remember speaking with a rep from Korg about the ARP 2600 FS and I asked how do I clock the sequencer to a MIDI clock and then they realized....well...you can't....there's MIDI on the module but there's no way to sync the sequencer which was built into the keyboard and he even admitted that was an oversight).....Tom seems to have thought all the details through and I'm genuinely happy for him.

Something that's interesting to me coming from the Soundtrack world is that Prophets were EVERYWHERE and Oberheim OBX/as were barely anywhere. I've also noticed a lot of New Wave bands tended to gravitate towards the Prophet and more American rock bands were OBX/a oriented. I think because the Oberheim sound tends to cut through a mix better. Most of the soundtracks that had an Oberheim used the SEM Four Voice but any soundtracks that used an OBX/a almost always had it playing alongside a Prophet (Terminator) or orchestra (The Exterminator, Maniac Cop, Invasion U.S.A.). I think the only scores to feature an OBX/a solely was Rob Walsh's scores for Revenge Of The Ninja and Young Warriors. Just an OBXa, DMX drum machine and Les Paul.

I definitely agree that the OBX8 seems more positioned as a new product thats based on the OBX/Xa rather than a reissue;  and I wonder if this is because the specific sound of the original could not be faithfully reproduced, so maybe in part, it's a license to avoid a bunch of YT vids calling the new synth out for not being authentic enough?   Personally I would fully understand if faithfully recreating the sound of the original well enough to call it a reissue weren't possible... Dave said himself the only way that recreating the P5 sound was even possible is because the same parts became available again, and as I understand it there are components in the original OBX that are most likely not being remanufactured.  If it can the match sound of an OBX / Xa as the Rev4 does the Rev 1/2 and 3, then I'll be happy.  If it comes no closer than the OB-6 to the vintage sound, I will likely be disappointed, but I'm optimistic (not even cautiously so -- just simply optimistic).

In terms of what it offers for the dollar compared to the Rev4, I'll evaluate the bang for buck a bit more once I fully understand the feature set.  On one hand it is stereo as you pointed out, but it has two less voices and a lot less wood than my P10, with a MSRP of $600 more.  Preset storage is pretty similar, oscillators I assume are same (3340), it does have a screen which I both appreciate and almost wish it didn't at the same time (I know that sounds strange but I love the fully retro look and spartan readout on my P10), so perhaps the real value provided the screen will depend on how it is used -- for example, (in addition to the obvious such as being able to see patch names) it could be used to more easily guide the user through keypress sequences that unveil new firmware features in a way that's much nicer than memorizing key combinations, and prevent buyers from knocking their wheels (err.. paddles in this case) out of calibration by accident, etc.

The whole Prophet vs OBX phenomenon has always been interesting to me.  As a Gen-Xer I grew up loving American rock... I started playing the drums at age 5 (first toy drums then nice Ludwig kit), and was at a near professional level in terms of skill by age 7-8.  But as an adolescent, MTV happened and introduced me to British new wave and I found synthesizers to be more of a true passion as I was also becoming a budding software developer at the time and enjoyed watching the marriage of music and computers....  So Dave Smith has pointed out, back in the day their were Prophet guys and their were Obie guys.   I suppose I was more of a Prophet guy in terms of the types of songs each were famous for...  I liked Van Halen but honestly "Jump" never impressed me, nor did other synth-heavy rock.   I liked the OBX/a for its overall sound and the relatively rare use of it in new wave.  Fast forward to now, and I could still probably say the same...  if I had to choose between the P6 and the OB6 for example, I'd take the P6 simply because it's more versatile.  I totally get why some feel the other way around, but I always look at the total number of uses I might use a synth for.

I had never really thought about OBX or OBXa fitting better into mixes... I guess it depends on the mix, but I always think of them as a somewhat fatter sound than the Prophet, which often means they demand more elbow room in the mix (scooping away other harmonics and giving the fatter synth its personal space), but at the same time with the 2 pole filter on the OB6, it has a very "sizzley" sound which does often give it a certain prominence.  I think of Obies as more wanting to stand out in the mix and make it their own...  while the Prophet patches tend to be more willing and open to finding a niche inside the mix, and cooperating with other sounds to let the player determine what role it should play, while being more than willing to jump out of the box and break down walls if commanded to do so.   For the TVS, FVS etc. I'm honestly not sure never having played one, but I do find that sometimes synths with less voices and/or less oscillators are in fact easier to work into a mix simply because they carve out their groove in a very distinctive way.

One way or the other, I assume that since the OBX8 is neither a OBX or OBXa, but rather kind of both in one, that we will not see "purist" reissues of the original.  And for that reason I will most likely need to buy one of these.  I'm still going to wait a while, keep eyes and ears open on reviews, and hold out for a desktop announcement.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 05:16:16 PM by LPF83 »

Shaw

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2022, 09:54:26 PM »
...  I liked Van Halen but honestly "Jump" never impressed me…

Blasphemer!  😂😂😂

All joking aside, I always found it odd that one of the most famous “Oberheim sounds” is the simplest to make. Slightly detune the saws and open up that filter. Done.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LPF83

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2022, 02:12:05 AM »

Blasphemer!  😂😂😂

All joking aside, I always found it odd that one of the most famous “Oberheim sounds” is the simplest to make. Slightly detune the saws and open up that filter. Done.

Eddie was a skilled and creative guitarist, but when Jump hit the radio it was kind of like "look Eddie got a new toy!"... lol.  It seemed to me more or less just stuck onto their music as a novelty.  It is interesting that the intro it became such a ubiquitous riff for demoing synths though -- playing it can tell the ear a lot about the overall sound of an instrument.

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2022, 06:53:17 AM »

Blasphemer!  😂😂😂

Don't forget the open 1984 track. That was all OBXa in split mode as well which actually shows a bit more musicality I think.

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2022, 06:56:06 AM »

Blasphemer!  😂😂😂

Eddie was a skilled and creative guitarist, but when Jump hit the radio it was kind of like "look Eddie got a new toy!"... lol.  It seemed to me more or less just stuck onto their music as a novelty.  It is interesting that the intro it became such a ubiquitous riff for demoing synths though -- playing it can tell the ear a lot about the overall sound of an instrument.

Gene Simmons talked about this after Eddie passed. Eddie wanted to do something different and didn't want to do a guitar oriented track anymore. When they previewed the song to Gene and others, everyone was like "You can't have a Van Halen song without a guitar!" so Eddie through a small solo in to compliment the keyboard solo. They told him it would be a huge flop and their fans would be disappointed.

Well...

LPF83

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2022, 07:01:31 AM »

Blasphemer!  😂😂😂

Gene Simmons talked about this after Eddie passed. Eddie wanted to do something different and didn't want to do a guitar oriented track anymore. When they previewed the song to Gene and others, everyone was like "You can't have a Van Halen song without a guitar!" so Eddie through a small solo in to compliment the keyboard solo. They told him it would be a huge flop and their fans would be disappointed.

Well...

In rock bands, a lot of times there was friction between guitar players (who are notorious for wanting to steal the show) and keyboard players, because synths can dominate the mid range and drown out guitars.  So I think in some ways Eddie was trying to get in front of all that by being the keyboard guy if a keyboard guy was needed.

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2022, 08:24:02 AM »
The real question with this Oberheim announcement to me is....what's next? Will newly made OB6s have the original Oberheim Logo? (That might actually make me want to buy one lol), will we see the Two Voice Pro re-released? Will Tom's Eurorack modules or SonOfFourVoice concept happen or is this simply a one and done swansong?

Regardless, I'm happy he got to see this happen.

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2022, 08:26:32 AM »
The real question with this Oberheim announcement to me is....what's next? Will newly made OB6s have the original Oberheim Logo?

They already do.