Fun Tip - Polymod Button Modulation

LPF83

Fun Tip - Polymod Button Modulation
« on: April 09, 2022, 06:31:49 PM »
Using the three buttons (Freq A, PW A, Filter) of the Polymod section as if they are keys (playing them with three fingers to tweak the timbre in realtime), tweak related knobs to find interesting sounds. 

Now the real fun...., use something else with advanced mod options that will let you modulate the on/off state of those buttons (MIDI CC 61 through 63).  I'm using the plugin MIDI Shaper because it makes it easy to have a separate modulation wave for each button, and then shift the phase of the wave so that the three toggle states reach a state of synchronous cooperation that results in some really great sounds.  Now play with the poly filter knob, VCF sustain, add noise, etc.  for some really interesting timbres..   Even better run through some quality FX!

Who says the Prophet 5/10 has too many limitations?!  The simple controls actually inspire me to find ways to expand the sonic palette.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LPF83

Re: Fun Tip - Polymod Button Modulation
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 06:41:15 PM »
I should also add, similar should work with Prophet6, OB-6 and similar.  One of the reasons I enjoy this on the Rev4 is the vintage style buttons make it easy to play them like keys to get the sound off the ground initially (more so than the firm-click style buttons on the others), but that's not essential to the tip.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC