Pro 3 Audio Rate Amplitude Modulation in the Mixer vs. Pro 2

Pro 3 Audio Rate Amplitude Modulation in the Mixer vs. Pro 2
« on: April 07, 2022, 09:57:27 AM »
I'm assuming this is possible just by using an Oscillator or sufficiently fast LFO as the source to the Oscillator LEVEL in the mod matrix. It seems to work based on my ears.

It did make me a bit curious as to why the Pro 2 has both LEVEL & AM for each oscillator, but I guess this is just more flexible and probable was practical to implement due to the oscillators being digital (don't need two analog VCAs per channel in the mixer).

Anybody know the nitty-gritty?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 11:05:21 AM by swannod »

chysn

Re: Pro 3 Audio Rate Amplitude Modulation in the Mixer vs. Pro 2
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 10:11:19 AM »
I'm assuming this is possible just by using an Oscillator or sufficiently fast LFO as the source to the Oscillator LEVEL in the mod matrix. It seems work based on my ears.

Yes, that's right.

It did make me a bit curious as to why the Pro 2 has both LEVEL & AM for each oscillator, but I guess this is just more flexible and probable was practical to implement due to the oscillators being digital (don't need analog two VCAs per channel in the mixer).

I don't have a Pro 2, but from looking at the manual, it seems mostly a matter of workflow. The Pro 2 has a pre-defined amplitude modulation amount parameter, while in the Pro 3 you'd use the modulation matrix (or LFO destinations) for the same thing. In this case, the Pro 2's "AM" parameter seems to correspond to the Pro 3's "Amount" parameter in the mod matrix.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his