Wavetable Stepping Behavior

Wavetable Stepping Behavior
« on: March 31, 2022, 12:20:12 PM »
Is there a setting in the Pro 3 to make the 16 wavetables audible step between each other as opposed to smoothly transitioning? It would be very helpful for nailing down specific wavetables that way.

chysn

Re: Wavetable Stepping Behavior
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 12:30:48 PM »
Is there a setting in the Pro 3 to make the 16 wavetables audible step between each other as opposed to smoothly transitioning? It would be very helpful for nailing down specific wavetables that way.

I split this off from the "Share your Wavetable" topic, since it's a different subject.

Unfortunately, the answer is No. It would be a welcome feature, as it would make it easier to do "sample-type" wavetables that stitch together multiple waveforms. Those are hard to do with the automatic interpolation that goes on.

Such a feature could also basically turn the wavetable oscillator into a miniature sequencer in LFO mode.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 12:33:00 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 09:35:23 PM »
I made a wish somewhere for the Osc3/ShapeMod values to coincide with the waves in the table.

There are 16 waves in a wavetable, right? - So, I think I figured that every 16 steps would be the next wave?

Currently, that's hard to think about where you are when you're up at 136 or so.
  - So the wish would be for Osc3/ShapeMod values to sync with:
  1.0 for wave one, to/thru to 1.5 for half way to the next wave.
  Then, 2.0 for wave 2, and then 2.5 for half way to the next wave...
  Ending with 16.0 for the last wave ... etc.  (?)

There are other places that I would love to have the numbers "synchronized".  (I'll have to look thru my pages of wishes/notes.)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 10:32:59 PM by Elric »
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 08:03:30 AM »
I should be possible to do what you want by modulating the wavetable with the sequencer, right?

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 07:30:41 PM »
I should be possible to do what you want by modulating the wavetable with the sequencer, right?

Not really. Essentially I’m just looking to have the 16 Wavetable not interpolate when sweeping the shape mod. An option so that they are static single cycle waveforms which you can audibly detect from one to another as opposed to decipher during interpolation.

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 11:57:02 PM »

Not really. Essentially I’m just looking to have the 16 Wavetable not interpolate when sweeping the shape mod. An option so that they are static single cycle waveforms which you can audibly detect from one to another as opposed to decipher during interpolation.
Right, but using the sequencer as the modulation source should give you the possibility to have stepped sweeps. But I see that an option to disable the interpolation of the waves would allow the use of any modulation source and still have the steppiness.

chysn

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2022, 02:33:44 PM »

It's not flexible, and it's a bit fiddly to dial in the right values, but yeah. I've been playing around with that, with interesting results.

The devil is in the implementation. What would a feature like this look like? If it were just a patchwide on/off switch, the oscillator would always play the closest reference waveform for the key range being played. The tricky part here is that waveforms don't only interpolate based on the Shape Mod value; there also seems to be interpolation between the four "copies" of the reference waveform that blend between these key ranges. But I'm sure Sequential would be able to figure out the mathematics of that! :)

I've always wanted the ability to have a "stepped" LFO, and I think the most flexible implementation would allow for any modulation source to be quantized. That would enable what we're talking about here, as well as many other things.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 02:38:50 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2022, 09:30:18 AM »
The Staircase patch (U1 P3) is an interesting one. I need to study it a bit more, perhaps this is sufficient if it works when you modulate the "carrier" LFO and still get stepped sounds?

chysn

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2022, 10:15:33 AM »
The Staircase patch (U1 P3) is an interesting one. I need to study it a bit more, perhaps this is sufficient if it works when you modulate the "carrier" LFO and still get stepped sounds?

It's sort of an illusion of stepping. LFO 2 modulates the shape of Osc 3, but using a wavetable that has various pitches. It's still interpolating through the waveshapes with the LFO. If you change the wavetable, you can hear more easily what's going on.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2022, 12:52:39 PM »
It's sort of an illusion of stepping. LFO 2 modulates the shape of Osc 3, but using a wavetable that has various pitches. It's still interpolating through the waveshapes with the LFO. If you change the wavetable, you can hear more easily what's going on.

Ah yeah you're right, I didn't look that deeply at what was going on. Yeah it would be nice if you could choose the waveform that S/H will use. I suppose otherwise you will just need to use an external S/H module.