P12 or Summit?

jmg8

P12 or Summit?
« on: March 30, 2022, 01:28:57 AM »
I am almost ready to buy either the Prophet 12 or the Novation Summit.
They both share a lot of similarities. There are however a lot of differences too.
I would like to hear from anyone who has played/owned both to give me a little feedback.
I am purchasing this synth to aid me in Cyberpunk sound design. I will make heavily distorted bass, dystopian soundscapes, glitches, dirty leads, huge supersaws and a few 80s synthwave sounds.

The things I am particularly interested in:

Distortion
P12 has stereo distortion on the output, how dirty can this get? Can it do very heavy distortion? Also is there any loss of low frequencies when using it? The filter can be driven with the character distortions, how well does the filter respond to distortion? Does it drive nicely etc?
Summit has 3 stages of analog distortion (pre-filter, post-filter and post-VCA), how dirty can it go? How does the low end hold up?

FM
They both have linear FM. P12 has an extra OSC which opens a few more options there. But do they both sound the same? Or as good as each other? I read that the FPGA OSCs in the Summit react very well to audio rate modulation (similar to how an analog OSC would, without any aliasing or zipper etc) does that make the FM sound nicer or better in some way?

Filters
They both have analog filters, but how do they differ in sound? I am familiar with the sound of the P12 filter (I believe it is the same as the filter in my Tempest) but I am not familiar with the filter type in the Summit, is it similar in sound to any other filters (ladder, SEM, Diode etc) to give me an idea of the sound? Does it respond well to high input levels, FM, high resonance?

Any form of advice would be really appreciated and welcomed. Is there anything else I did not mention that I should consider?

Thank you in advance  :)

the8bitdeity

• Ham handed synth enthusiast
Re: P12 or Summit?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 03:47:52 PM »
I've got Peak, P12D, and a Hydrasynth, and I think you might want to look at the Hydrasynth first, Prophet 12 second, and Summit 3rd. Summit / Peak I find better for lush timbres, whereas the Hydra and the P12 can do harder better. Hydra has the mutants while Prophet 12 as the Digital Timbre controls plus the Feedback path.
Kijimi, Xerxes mk2, OB6D, P6D, Prophet 5D (expanded), OB-X8D, Hydrasynth, Pro 3, Wavestate, MS20D, A4mk2, ARmk2, MC202, Avalon, Syntakt, Octatrack, NLDR, H9000, Digitone, Deckard's Dream mk2, Isi-Nin, Roland System 500 + other Eurorack

jmg8

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 02:44:26 AM »
Thank you  8)

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2022, 10:53:43 AM »
I have  those three as well and agree with what was said.   I would just add that the filter on the Novation is quite nice.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 02:16:20 PM »
Jmg8, make sure you've looked into the recent updates on the Summit.  They're substantial.

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 12:15:08 PM »
I have owned both of them, and I have to say I prefer P12 over Summit. I can easily see that some people would judge otherwise, as the tastes and target for the sound differs. Both of them are extremely good for what they are. For me, it was difficult to find the sweet spots from the Summit, except for the silky-clean sounds. It has lots of gain staging going on, pre- and post overdrive and distortion, filter FM and so on, so there is lot of potential to distort and mangle the sound, but for me, I get more pleasing results using the character section and FM in the P12. A touch of feedback there, and we have really alive and partially unpredictable sound that I like a lot. It was a lot more difficult to edit Summit on the fly so that it did not end up as completely distorted noise or sounding like a broken accordion.

I think it is not a good method trying to divide these beasts into smaller chunks end then compare their capabilities against each other. Both have distortions, many kinds of them, analog filters, digital oscs, FM, etc. I think that the key is here that how do you like the interaction between different elements, as although these machines seem really alike on paper, they feel very different while tweaking. Somebody said in Gearslutz that Peak is like a laser beam and P12 is like a lava lamp. Maybe that is a good analogy  :-\.