OB6 with original Oberheim logo now?

OB6 with original Oberheim logo now?
« on: March 25, 2022, 03:51:35 PM »
Can anyone verify this?

https://youtu.be/w1qM0wVEkac?t=476

Re: OB6 with original Oberheim logo now?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2022, 09:19:33 PM »
Can anyone verify this?

I bought the keys version on the 20th and it had the tom signature.  Unsure how old of stock it is however.

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 06:29:19 PM »
Can anyone verify this?

I got my keys today and it has the Oberheim logo on the front right. It’s printed on a black decal, probably similar to the silver decal on the P6.

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2022, 05:11:24 AM »
Can anyone verify this?

I got my keys today and it has the Oberheim logo on the front right. It’s printed on a black decal, probably similar to the silver decal on the P6.

Interesting... this might be an indicator that the Oberheim name / logo is being permanently brought under Sequential/Focusrite.  Also if it's just a sticker (for now) it might mean the sticker will be obtainable through Sequential for those who want to place it over Tom's signature.  I'm not sure if I'd go for it or not, mostly because mine is mounted on a tiered stand, and the stand arms currently block part of the signature but could also damage a sticker through friction.   Not an issue with the Sequential logo on the front of the Prophet 6, because its a metal plate thats recessed into the wood (very good design choice actually).

Any chance you could post a photo?  There are a few different forms of the logo so a visual would be great.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2022, 05:14:04 AM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 06:38:33 AM »
Can anyone verify this?

Interesting... this might be an indicator that the Oberheim name / logo is being permanently brought under Sequential/Focusrite.  Also if it's just a sticker (for now) it might mean the sticker will be obtainable through Sequential for those who want to place it over Tom's signature.  I'm not sure if I'd go for it or not, mostly because mine is mounted on a tiered stand, and the stand arms currently block part of the signature but could also damage a sticker through friction.   Not an issue with the Sequential logo on the front of the Prophet 6, because its a metal plate thats recessed into the wood (very good design choice actually).

Any chance you could post a photo?  There are a few different forms of the logo so a visual would be great.

Sure, it looks just like in the video from the first post. Its really thick and high quality, doesn't feel like just a sticker. It also blends in really well, I didn't know it was a decal until I felt it with my hand.

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2022, 04:48:17 PM »

Sure, it looks just like in the video from the first post. Its really thick and high quality, doesn't feel like just a sticker. It also blends in really well, I didn't know it was a decal until I felt it with my hand.

Thanks for the photo, that helps.  I have a feeling it would be a popular item if they offered this for order for existing OB-6 owners.  Based on your description it sounds like it may be one of those high quality adhesive ceramic decals, maybe not too susceptible to damage from mounts.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2022, 10:56:56 AM »
Can anyone verify this?

Tom Oberheim has been returned the rights to use his own name commercially. So, unless he has specifically given Focusrite Group the right to use it, I doubt that this is legit.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

kpatz

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2022, 02:05:21 PM »
Tom did get the rights to the Oberheim name/logo back in the past year or so, and he must have given Sequential/Focusrite permission to use it on the OB-6, just like he did with the Tom Oberheim signature logo originally.

This is similar to how the present Sequential started out as Dave Smith Instruments, and then changed to Sequential when Dave got the rights to the name back.

I don't know if Tom has worldwide rights to the Oberheim logo presently (or, in some countries), so it's possible that OB-6s shipped to those countries would not have the decal applied.

LPF83

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2022, 04:06:56 PM »
Can anyone verify this?

Tom Oberheim has been returned the rights to use his own name commercially. So, unless he has specifically given Focusrite Group the right to use it, I doubt that this is legit.

Do you think there's even a reasonable chance Focusrite/Sequential would just randomly put a sticker with the Oberheim name on it against Tom's wishes?  Especially since they collaborated with him on the OB-6 itself.  The decal, if present, is placed atop Tom's licensed signature, after all. 

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2022, 10:21:13 AM »

Do you think there's even a reasonable chance Focusrite/Sequential would just randomly put a sticker with the Oberheim name on it against Tom's wishes?  Especially since they collaborated with him on the OB-6 itself.  The decal, if present, is placed atop Tom's licensed signature, after all.

Good point. But an announcement from Focurite/Sequential about the change would have been nice?
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

LPF83

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2022, 10:31:25 AM »

Good point. But an announcement from Focurite/Sequential about the change would have been nice?

I can only speculate (and hope), but they could be waiting to announce any sort of formal partnership or acquisition of the Oberheim brand until they can align it with the release of a new Oberheim synth.  That would make more sense to me than doing an announcement about a new sticker on a mature product now, then a few months later announcing an OBXa for example.  It could be a sign something good is just around the corner now.

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2022, 07:38:00 AM »
https://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Sequential-OB-6/art-SYN0005026-000

I think that is interesting. Pay attention on the new "Sequential" logo on the back of the panel. Also, the OB-6 and Tom Oberheim's signature logo is missing on the front panel. I guess it is the way it is going to be in the future.

LPF83

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2022, 08:29:03 AM »

I think that is interesting. Pay attention on the new "Sequential" logo on the back of the panel. Also, the OB-6 and Tom Oberheim's signature logo is missing on the front panel. I guess it is the way it is going to be in the future.

The Sequential logo on the back has been there quite some time, I bought mine in early 2020 and this was on the back.  Interesting about the blank front though.

kpatz

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2022, 04:11:13 PM »

That could be a stock photo.  I think I've seen "no logo on front" images of the OB-6 on some other sites including Reverb.  Some sites still show images with the DSI logo on back instead of the Sequential logo, which has been on the OB-6 for at least a year now.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2022, 09:26:32 AM »
Now that's exciting news.

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2022, 11:49:52 AM »
Now that's exciting news.

Depends if anything is actually done with it aside from the obvious OBX or OBXa reissue.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2022, 02:17:33 PM »
My guess is that Tom wouldn't do this if he didn't have serious intentions.  Surely, he learned from recent mistakes.

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2022, 02:53:52 PM »
My guess is that Tom wouldn't do this if he didn't have serious intentions.  Surely, he learned from recent mistakes.

I genuinely hope so. Regardless of my poor experience, I don't wish him ill or hope he fails, I just have a hard time getting excited over any news regarding his products.

LPF83

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2022, 12:28:05 PM »

I genuinely hope so. Regardless of my poor experience, I don't wish him ill or hope he fails, I just have a hard time getting excited over any news regarding his products.

Isn't this time a little different though, since it is clearly some sort of collaboration between Oberheim/Sequential (who now has distribution muscle of Focusrite behind them)?