OB6 with original Oberheim logo now?

Sacred Synthesis

Re: OB6 with original Oberheim logo now?
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2022, 01:01:32 PM »
I get the sense that this time Tom is in charge, even if he's getting help from the others.

LPF83

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2022, 01:38:11 PM »
I get the sense that this time Tom is in charge, even if he's getting help from the others.

I think in many ways, it would have to be that way to be a true replica of an Oberheim synth.  By that I mean a lot of concessions were made in the design of the Rev4 to ensure that it adhered more closely to the functionality and design philosophy of the original P5 than newer products.   An OBX/Xa reissue would need to do the same toward honoring the original, so it would need to take on all of the characteristics of Tom's original design ideas rather than Dave's. 

One of the reasons I couldn't pass up owning a Rev 4 was that it wasn't just a clinically reconstructed copy of a reissue, it was created under the same design philosophy and guidance of the original product designer.  This is also one reason I'm not passing up the opportunity to get a proper Oberheim reissue created under Toms watch.  These guys are legends, not getting any younger and certaintly aren't going to be designing synths forever, so....

Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2022, 03:05:51 PM »
My guess is that Tom wouldn't do this if he didn't have serious intentions.  Surely, he learned from recent mistakes.

I genuinely hope so. Regardless of my poor experience, I don't wish him ill or hope he fails, I just have a hard time getting excited over any news regarding his products.

Isn't this time a little different though, since it is clearly some sort of collaboration between Oberheim/Sequential (who now has distribution muscle of Focusrite behind them)?

Even if an OBXa reissue happens it's not something I'm particularly interested in regardless.

LPF83

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2022, 03:21:43 PM »
My guess is that Tom wouldn't do this if he didn't have serious intentions.  Surely, he learned from recent mistakes.

I genuinely hope so. Regardless of my poor experience, I don't wish him ill or hope he fails, I just have a hard time getting excited over any news regarding his products.

Isn't this time a little different though, since it is clearly some sort of collaboration between Oberheim/Sequential (who now has distribution muscle of Focusrite behind them)?

Even if an OBXa reissue happens it's not something I'm particularly interested in regardless.

Surely interest in particular models will vary.  I just mean that Tom's previous track record of business management becomes pretty much moot when someone else is handling the business aspect of things.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2022, 07:13:02 PM »

Surely interest in particular models will vary.  I just mean that Tom's previous track record of business management becomes pretty much moot when someone else is handling the business aspect of things.

For sure I’m just simply saying I’m cautiously optimistic.