OB-6 starting to freak out when too hot ?

OB-6 starting to freak out when too hot ?
« on: March 24, 2022, 08:18:17 AM »
I've got the feeling that my OB-6 doesn't like the sun, and be switched on for too long.
It starts missing incoming notes.
Is it a common issue ?

Re: OB-6 starting to freak out when too hot ?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 12:45:51 PM »
Direct sunlight isn't good for most things and that includes synths. Find or create some shade! Make sure that air flow isn't obstructed around and beneath the synth. I regularly have my desktop powered up for 8+ hours at a time. Never had an issue like you describe.

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 02:06:42 PM »
Thanks for the reply !
I let it cool for a while, and it seems to be working properly again. Sun is heating its back side, nothing crazy but still... I guess/hope that was the reason. I turn my instruments on at 9 in the morning and usually turn them off like 10 hours later. The OB-6 might be more sensitive than the others. 

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2022, 09:21:07 PM »
Thanks for the reply !
I let it cool for a while, and it seems to be working properly again. Sun is heating its back side, nothing crazy but still... I guess/hope that was the reason. I turn my instruments on at 9 in the morning and usually turn them off like 10 hours later. The OB-6 might be more sensitive than the others.

I got some wire shelving from home depot and put it on one of the tiers of a keyboard stand.  It runs all the time and so far no issues.  Not in sunlight however.

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2022, 03:15:39 AM »
The OB-6 might be more sensitive than the others.

I've taken a laser thermometer to my synths before, to check for hotspots and notable differences (with expensive hardware, sometimes knowing a devices thermal profile might affect my placement of things relative to the room A/C vent etc).  My OB-6 heat amount and distribution is pretty normal/typical for an analog synth, and roughly the same as the Prophet 6.  Of all my Sequential synths, the P10 (keyboard) measures coolest and the P12 (desktop) consistently measures hottest, perhaps illustrating that the size of the case makes a difference.

I completely agree with others though about keeping it out of the sunlight.  If you have sunlight coming in from a window, curtains are probably the cheapest fix.  My studio room faces south, and in the summer it does get warmer than the rest of the house with all my gear turned on.  Many years ago I placed all the windows in the house with Low-E 366 coated glass (repels most of the sun's radiant heat) and then have a curtain covering window at all times in that room.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC