Need help figuring out how to deal with Noise in Prophet 10

Need help figuring out how to deal with Noise in Prophet 10
« on: March 23, 2022, 11:47:24 PM »
I'm just wondering if the following is normal? have Prophet 10 connected via a TS Mogami Gold Instrument cable into my RME Fireface UCX II Line Instrument Input 3, and the following screenshot shows the amount of noise when the UCX does its built-in instrument gain, which I believe is meant to be clean? If I'm wrong, plz let me know. It's my first synth - this could be totally normal and I just don't know how to deal with it...

any advice, would be greatly appreciated

the following screenshot is of my Pro-Q3 showing two resonances, one at 8k peaking at -80, and one a bit higher, also at around -80. This is even though the synth is at about 70% Output and I'm playing no sound..

SCREENSHOT: https://ibb.co/TP1WFv3

and let me say, I am loving this machine so far. I can't believe the range.... would really really love to figure this noise thing out though...

thanks for your time

Re: Need help figuring out how to deal with Noise in Prophet 10
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 09:57:37 PM »
I suspect a calibration problem within your interface.  First, that's not much of a noise problem at -80 db. 

Put your P10 to full output.  Adjust speakers accordingly.  Play a chord with a fairly loud patch.  The interface gain should adjust so the input is less than 0db.  If it overdrives, then there is something going on with the interface.  It will have to be adjusted so the gain is less than 0db.

It is not uncommon for analog instruments to have noise in the -80db range.  Also, with the P10 output on full, and the interface calibrating to it, you should see the noise go down some. 
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.