Buying my first ever polysynth

Buying my first ever polysynth
« on: March 11, 2022, 11:25:20 AM »
Hey everybody.

I am about to buy my first ever polyphonic synthesizer. Since I am posting on the Sequential forum, it is obvious I have fixed my mind on the Prophet 6. However, a hesitation is still lurking behind me. I should probably consider the OB-6 or even the Roland Jupiter X (a digital one, unlike the analog P6 or OB-6). I know they are totally different synths and the sound they produce is also different. I understand it is difficult to give advice on something that is so individual and that depends on so many factors. Perhaps it is worth mentioning the style of music I’d like to create. First let me say that I am an amateur musician without formal training. Music has always been my hobby, so please, excuse my unprofessional approach and lack of technical literacy. Probably the Prophet 6 is not the best pick for an amateur musician, especially as a first ever synth, but I have watched plenty of videos on youtube and I have a very good reason to already have that gem in my heart. Some questions to the experts:
1. Are the P6 or the OB-6 appropriate for a first time synth ever or they we’ll be too difficult for me to learn playing?
2. I know P6 is more versatile and OB-6 makes „fatter“ sounds. Whilst identical, what are their pros and cons?
3. What are their (P6 and OB-6) flaws? Wobby knobs? Software issues? Are they easy synths to maintain? Are they reliable?
I have other questions as well but any help so far would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Re: Buying my first ever polysynth
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 05:23:24 PM »
I don’t have the knowledge of the other synths mentioned so can’t answer most of your questions. But I do think the P6 is an excellent choice for a first synth. It is really quite simple to use because of the knob-per-function layout. I bought my P6 in 2017 and still think it is quite wonderful. It is solid and has not had any issues. I did not have much knowledge of synthesizers when I bought it, and it has been a good learning tool in that regard.

LPF83

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 05:43:52 PM »
I have both the P6 and OB6 - both are both very easy to use.  Re: maintenance, you won't have the issues that a 40 year old synth has anytime soon, so it's more a matter of keeping dust off them.  There's nothing about either that would make them inappropriate for an amateur musician -- this is only a hobby for me and it's never been a quest for money, even though I grew up surrounded by professional musicians.  Sound wise they have different oscillators and filters, they are very similar in their features and FX but not so much in their sound.  OB-6 has a certain character that is lovely when you want the Oberheim sound, but the Prophet 6, much like its pedigree, has a more versatile nature to it's sound palette that allows it go more places.  Some of the knobs on mine have some play in them but nothing to obsess about.  Both of them are great synths that will find places in the synthesizer hall of fame.  They also aren't getting any cheaper as time goes by.

The Jupiter-X I have not used, but if you want a single synth that's multi-timbral, can do drum tracks, etc. then there are some features there which the others on your list don't offer.  The way I make music I don't really benefit much from the all-in-one workstation approach so it's not for me personally, but I suppose it's one of those things you'll know which is right for you if you do enough research.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2022, 09:58:02 AM »
Thank you so much, folks.

You have additionally convinced me to go with the P6. The music style I like is mostly the classic electronic music from the 70s and 80s, which includes melody high pitch tunes but also the new-wave sounds, Berlin school, and synth-pop. Something like Depeche Mode, Human League, Patrick Cowley, J.M.Jarre, etc. Some people might argue that there are other and better synths than the P6 to produce similar sounds to the ones mentioned above, but it’s the versatility of the P6 I am really looking for. I would also like to ask about the maintenance (which as you said isn’t probably going to be an issue /hopefully/). Anyways, here are a few more concerns and questions:
1. If the synth is used a couple of times and then not used for several hours in a day and then used again, is it better to turn off or leave it on? Can the constant turning on/off actually cause anything?
2. In the event of an issue with a not working key or a knob, or any software or hardware problem, what is the procedure with the technical support?
3. Since the voltage in my area constantly drops below 220V (the normal), is it recommended to buy a rectifier or a UPS to prevent short circuit and damage to the synth?
4. Do I directly connect the synth to speakers or do I need a receiver?

Thank you very much again in advance.

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 07:27:28 AM »
1. If the synth is used a couple of times and then not used for several hours in a day and then used again, is it better to turn off or leave it on? Can the constant turning on/off actually cause anything?
2. In the event of an issue with a not working key or a knob, or any software or hardware problem, what is the procedure with the technical support?
3. Since the voltage in my area constantly drops below 220V (the normal), is it recommended to buy a rectifier or a UPS to prevent short circuit and damage to the synth?
4. Do I directly connect the synth to speakers or do I need a receiver?

Thank you very much again in advance.

Hi Spacesynth. I can try to answer your questions for you:

1. Not exactly sure what you mean here but I assume that you are talking about shutting the P6 off (overnight, say) versus leaving it on. I always shut mine off after a session to minimise any heat buildup in the synth that might damage or shorthen the life of some of the components. I don’t think that turning it on and off has any real negative effect on the synth.
2. In the case of non-functioning part in the synth you can contact Sequential for help. My experience with them has been absolutely stellar. When I first bought my P6 I found that the mod wheel was loose. Sequential sent very detailed instructions on how to fix the problem including multiple photos.
3. I suppose this would depend on how much the voltage varies. Minor variations (~1%) are normal, at least where I am in Canada and all of my synths are still alive. Properly built power systems in electronic devices should be able to handle minor voltage fluctuations. Major variations (~10%) would likely require some kind of workaround … such as a UPS. I don’t think a rectifier would do the job.
4. You will need something to hook up to in order to hear your synth. Cheapest would be a pair of headphones plugged into the headphone output. Or, you can connect the output of the synth to an amplifier of some kind, perhaps a guitar amp if you have one. I like the stereo capabilities of the P6 and so I would use two amps (or even better, two powered speakers), one for each channel. I don’t actually do this though since my synths are all in my studio permanently and are hooked up to a mixer which feeds a pair of powered monitor speakers and my DAW.

Hope this helps.

Keith
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 07:31:19 AM by thirteen_engines »
Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2022, 04:23:45 AM »
Here it is - the beast is here! :)
I have just got my first ever synth - the gorgeous Prophet 6. Can't express my joy!
I see a minor issue with the wood sides - 3 little holes.
1. Do your prophets have anything like that? (please see the picture attached).
2. Is it easy to change it? (I see them priced at $40 on this site)
3. If changed is it possible the new one won't match the other wood parts of the synth?

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2022, 11:34:54 AM »
Folks,

I am trying to figure out an issue I have. I moved the synth to a colder room tonight, tried to calibrate it by pressing preset + 0 and after doing some calibration it totally freezes. I restart it it goes to the last preset, works fine but if I try to re-calibrate it again, the same goes on and it freezes again with the L6 message. I also noticed that in the transpose section the -2 indicator flickers while I haven't changed the octave and it is on 0. I attach pictures. Is it a malfunction?

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2022, 07:50:32 AM »
As for the side wood panels, they are very easy to replace. Just take out the two screws. The front panel (the one running under the keys) is quite a bit more work; I did replace that one once but would be hesitant to do it again. There is a member on this forum (SynthWolf) who makes custom replacement panels. I bought a set from him for my P6. If, however, you think it is a flaw maybe you could contact Sequential and they might send a replacement. From the picture, though, my opinion is that it is fine. It is character in the wood. That is partly why wood panels are so nice; they give a different look to each and every instrument.

Regarding the freeze during calibration, you might search this forum. If you search for “freeze calibration” and restrict to this Prophet 6 channel, a few messages turn up. For example, one suggests doing a global reset first. Another discusses making sure that you are on the latest version of the firmware.

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2022, 06:55:23 AM »
It is character in the wood. That is partly why wood panels are so nice; they give a different look to each and every instrument.

I agree. That panel with the small holes looks ok to me. They give it character. I wouldn’t waste time worrying about it. Just play yer synth. :)

Keith
Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2022, 10:59:22 AM »
Hi everyone again.

Had the Prophet replaced for another item. It has just arrived today. Anyway, the same issue seems to persist - why would the 4, 7 and 8 buttons be illuminated? I have done the calibration couple of times. Also the Transpose -2 is still flickering, even though it is set on 0. What is wrong with it?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 11:34:34 AM by Spacesynth »