Poly Evolver Keyboard Maintenance

Sacred Synthesis

Poly Evolver Keyboard Maintenance
« on: March 08, 2022, 01:58:24 PM »
Over the last couple of years or so, my Poly Evolver Keyboard had developed a few problems.  These included intermittent blinking lights, an octave transpose button that, when pressed, would trigger an LFO, and an LFO Amount knob that, when turned, would immediately jump to 100.  These were especially of concern because I've been trying to get myself to sell the keyboard and rack units. 

Anyway, I contacted Sequential with fear and trembling that my instrument was just getting old.  But Gabby advised me to open the instrument and carefully disconnect the ribbon and jumper cables.  And now the old girl is working perfectly again. 

I wanted to pass on this simple advice to any other PEK owners whose instruments might also have developed these or similar problems.  Maybe it was slightly loose cables, or even dust, which I removed.  But it was a much easier fix than I had expected, and now it works like the day I bought it. 

As always, Sequential's service was top notch - punctual, friendly, and correct.  But in order to do the simple procedure, I had to bring the PEK upstairs and put it on the dinner table.  The light was shining on it and...and...egads, she was beautiful in her blue dress!  How will I ever sell this instrument?  It's easily the most attractive synthesizer I've ever owned.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 02:01:09 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

chysn

Re: Poly Evolver Keyboard Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 06:17:33 PM »
Glad you had a good experience fixing it! My interactions with Sequential's support have always been very positive.

If you sell your Poly Evolver (which seems like something you might regret doing), do you plan to replace it with something? At this point, you could probably sell a PEK and buy a Prophet 5.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 10:14:36 AM »
Yes, I would terribly regret selling my Poly Evolver.  Now that I've established that fact....

I'd be selling two Poly Evolvers - a keyboard version and a rack version.  The only instrument that I've considered as a replacement is the Novation Summit, which has the size, sophistication, and stereo potential to at least humbly sit in the Poly Evolver's place.  But I'm not yet entirely enthralled with it.

My only concern with the PEK is its age - that's it.  If I could be guaranteed that it would never break-down, I'd be happy to keep it for life.    But being more realistic, I've always bought brand-new instruments, so as to avoid repair issues.  In the world of synthesizers, brand-new instruments rather quickly enter the domain of vintage.  And the Evolvers now seem like an age of synthesizers away.  Still, they're among my favorite synthesizers ever.  There's nothing like an Evolver.

Years ago, I had seriously considered an all-Evolver set up, which would have included three Poly Evolver Keyboards and one or two Poly Evolver Racks.   I've even considered adding an Evolver Desktop to my current mono-synth configuration. That's how much I like the instruments.  They're fabulous for deep pads, for solo patches, and of course for effects.  And all this with onboard delay.  The PEK is also the most gorgeous-looking synthesizer I've seen.  And I don't find anything else on the synthesizer horizon (within $ reason) that interests me to the same degree, except the Rev2.  But a Rev2 cannot replace a Poly Evolver.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 12:19:33 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 08:47:30 PM »
Given your obvious love of the PolyEvolver, I would suggest sticking with it and maybe acquiring another for backup if you can manage.

I still have my original Pro-One, Prophet T8, Prophet VS, Prophet 3000 as well as DSI Evolver and PolyEvolver... all still functioning very well. These instruments are built to last.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2022, 08:32:02 AM »
That's happy advice.  Thanks.

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2022, 12:32:08 PM »
You must not sell unless you really need the money. It would be madness.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2022, 05:59:32 AM »
It's a disturbing fact that certain Evolver parts are running out or are no longer available.  That's one of the vintage issues that I've always wanted to avoid; but if you keep an instrument long enough, it catches up with you.  If some people aren't bothered by it, then they should keep their Poly Evolver.  But it does make me nervous. 

As for the instrument itself - my PEK/PER combo is in mint condition and looking, working, and sounding perfect.  I would be happy to keep it for life.  But I can't afford to buy another major instrument unless I sell something, and Poly Evolver Keyboards are now going for $3,000-$4,000, never mind the rack version.  That amount of money gets me thinking about other instruments.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 08:29:34 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2023, 09:26:10 AM »
Just got my PolyEvolver via Reverb.  Came from Canada to NC, USA.  One screw was rolling around inside.  Easy to fix.  The seller told me about an issue with velocity sensitivity on D5.  I tried to wiggle it a bit by just taking the key off.  But made it stop working altogether.  So had to disassemble the entire key bed.  I'll clean these (carbon?) contacts and reassemble.  Anyone else go through this?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2023, 01:02:29 PM »
I've had one key that didn't work.  The simple solution was to remove several keys and clean the tiny oval rubber piece.  Now it works perfectly. 

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2023, 01:18:10 PM »
I've had one key that didn't work.  The simple solution was to remove several keys and clean the tiny oval rubber piece.  Now it works perfectly.

Good news.  I'll have it fixed up in no time!  Then to figure out this sequencer.  What on earth.

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2023, 11:13:27 AM »
Tim, you might consider getting the Soundtower editor.  It's worth it and makes the sequence programming doable. 
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1