Prophet-6 => 3,499 USD Now !?

Prophet-6 => 3,499 USD Now !?
« on: March 08, 2022, 01:47:29 AM »
It's a bit shocking to see the its price has increased so much.Hard to believe. It almost has the same price tag as Prophet 5. Anyone knows why ?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Prophet6--sequential-prophet-6-6-voice-polyphonic-analog-synthesizer

LPF83

Re: Prophet-6 => 3,499 USD Now !?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 04:44:42 AM »
It's a bit shocking to see the its price has increased so much.Hard to believe. It almost has the same price tag as Prophet 5. Anyone knows why ?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Prophet6--sequential-prophet-6-6-voice-polyphonic-analog-synthesizer

Supply chain woes and spiking inflation.  I also think that the crazy prices people are willing to pay for vintage musical instruments puts upward price pressure on current models.  Focusrite acquisition might also have impacted pricing strategy.  That said, the P6 is a phenomenal instrument.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 04:46:19 AM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

chysn

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 08:21:13 AM »
It looks like there have been other pricing adjustments as well. Pro 3 and Rev 2 also got pretty significant hikes recently. Pro 3 Standard got a 25% price increase!
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 09:43:37 AM »
And things are only going to get worse, especially with gas and oil prices soaring.  It's time to hunker down with whatever you've got.

chysn

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 07:00:39 AM »
Despite this being the Prophet 6 sub-forum, I think it's worth pointing out that you could buy a Pro 3 and a Take 5 for the price of a Prophet 6, and have a dollar left over.

I think Take 5 is probably the big Sequential bargain these days.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 05:51:30 PM »
Given that neon gas is required for chip manufacturing, and two Ukrainian companies supply more than half the world with this material, it might be a good time to grab any synths we have been lusting after, because it sounds like things could get bad, a future is possible where we may be looking back at that $3500 and wishing we had picked one up at that price.

Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 10:55:17 AM »
In Canada a Prophet 6 or OB 6 is now $4500
The Pro 3 is close to $3K.
The Rev 2 is over $2K for the 8 voice and $3k for the 16.

Now the world knows the meaning behind the phrase "Weak men make hard times."

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 11:06:04 AM »
I do wonder if there is a cut off point for manufacturers as well. For example if prices go so far out of control that something like the Take 5 can only end up being $3500 and everything else in the catalog is $5000-10,000 or even worse if most synth were around the $10,000 mark would companies even bother putting out a product or investing the time to produce something that most of their customer base can't afford? I suppose they could go back to their 80's mindset of just making a small batch of $10,000 instruments for a select few who could afford it but even then what's the longevity of something like that? How many $25,000 Fairlight CMIs sold? How many $200,000 Synclavier or Audioframe Waveframe systems were sold? And that's when being a musician or having a music studio was a fruitful venture. Now?

This is where we are going to see companies like Sequential, Moog and others go belly up again and only Roland and Yamaha and maybe Korg and Behringer will dominate the market and more and more people will switch over to VSTs because let's be real, even if the cost of manufacturing goes down and the world's issues settle down....companies aren't going to give a shit. They aren't going to suddenly lower the price of their instruments back down.

We experience this a lot in Canada. Even when our dollar was on par or higher than the US dollar, music stores refused to lower their pricing so more and more people just ended up ordering directly from the states.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 11:10:08 AM by LoboLives »

LPF83

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 04:20:55 PM »
I do wonder if there is a cut off point for manufacturers as well. For example if prices go so far out of control that something like the Take 5 can only end up being $3500 and everything else in the catalog is $5000-10,000 or even worse if most synth were around the $10,000 mark would companies even bother putting out a product or investing the time to produce something that most of their customer base can't afford? I suppose they could go back to their 80's mindset of just making a small batch of $10,000 instruments for a select few who could afford it but even then what's the longevity of something like that? How many $25,000 Fairlight CMIs sold? How many $200,000 Synclavier or Audioframe Waveframe systems were sold? And that's when being a musician or having a music studio was a fruitful venture. Now?

This is where we are going to see companies like Sequential, Moog and others go belly up again and only Roland and Yamaha and maybe Korg and Behringer will dominate the market and more and more people will switch over to VSTs because let's be real, even if the cost of manufacturing goes down and the world's issues settle down....companies aren't going to give a shit. They aren't going to suddenly lower the price of their instruments back down.

We experience this a lot in Canada. Even when our dollar was on par or higher than the US dollar, music stores refused to lower their pricing so more and more people just ended up ordering directly from the states.

Sequential won't go belly up now that they're owned by Focusrite, due to eggs in multiple baskets and such that goes with having a parent company.  When the acquisition was announced, I posted a thought that perhaps parts shortages played a partial role in Dave's decision... that, plus, he's 72 now I think, and while he might be interested in designing synths another 10 years or so I'm sure he doesn't want to work forever.

I can also envision the possibility of this chip shortage situation impacting what we've been enjoying over the last few years as a sort of a second golden age of analog, perhaps putting hardware out of reach of many buyers.

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2022, 08:27:45 PM »

Sequential won't go belly up now that they're owned by Focusrite, due to eggs in multiple baskets and such that goes with having a parent company.  When the acquisition was announced, I posted a thought that perhaps parts shortages played a partial role in Dave's decision... that, plus, he's 72 now I think, and while he might be interested in designing synths another 10 years or so I'm sure he doesn't want to work forever.

I can also envision the possibility of this chip shortage situation impacting what we've been enjoying over the last few years as a sort of a second golden age of analog, perhaps putting hardware out of reach of many buyers.

When I say Belly Up I’m referring to outputting a product. Sequential could easily just become something Focusrite owns but doesn’t use at all....ala Gibson owning Oberheim or Yamaha owning Sequential.

LPF83

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2022, 04:26:00 AM »

When I say Belly Up I’m referring to outputting a product. Sequential could easily just become something Focusrite owns but doesn’t use at all....ala Gibson owning Oberheim or Yamaha owning Sequential.

That could happen to any acquired company at any time I suppose, but I think the circumstances that led to that back in the 80's are much different now.  At the time, synthesizers were so new that the differences between analog and digital were not fully understood by musicians.  When the DX7 emerged and was followed by the likes of the D50, buyers mistook "different" for "better", and assumed that because digital synths stayed in tune and were more reliable, that they were the way of the future.  There was this conventional wisdom floating around that the definition of a "good" synth was how well it can sound like an acoustic instrument, so technologies like sampling appeared vastly superior to analog synthesis on the surface... this and other factors gave analog a black eye, and combined with other factors was a big reason for the analog extinction effect.

Times have changed now though..  like all of the ebb and flow over the history of synths, I don't think there is any single factor that is at play, but one major factor is that more powerful computers+DAWs+software synths+youtube tutorials has led to a bumper crop of bedroom studio musicians who are much more knowledgeable about music production in general and instruments specifics like the difference between analog and digital.  Many kids these days grow up on soft synths and later start graduating toward hardware, and specifically seek out analog to get a sound that's elusive in software.  Many of them weren't even born yet during the original days of the original Prophet 5, Minimoog etc, yet they can hear the difference and want that sound.

I don't have a crystal ball of course... for all I know we could all be headed toward World War 3 where most manufacturing efforts shift to weapon systems and analog synths become a forgotten art once again.  But I definitely don't think the same events will play out the same as before.

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2022, 08:41:13 AM »

That could happen to any acquired company at any time I suppose, but I think the circumstances that led to that back in the 80's are much different now.  At the time, synthesizers were so new that the differences between analog and digital were not fully understood by musicians.  When the DX7 emerged and was followed by the likes of the D50, buyers mistook "different" for "better", and assumed that because digital synths stayed in tune and were more reliable, that they were the way of the future.  There was this conventional wisdom floating around that the definition of a "good" synth was how well it can sound like an acoustic instrument, so technologies like sampling appeared vastly superior to analog synthesis on the surface... this and other factors gave analog a black eye, and combined with other factors was a big reason for the analog extinction effect.

Times have changed now though..  like all of the ebb and flow over the history of synths, I don't think there is any single factor that is at play, but one major factor is that more powerful computers+DAWs+software synths+youtube tutorials has led to a bumper crop of bedroom studio musicians who are much more knowledgeable about music production in general and instruments specifics like the difference between analog and digital.  Many kids these days grow up on soft synths and later start graduating toward hardware, and specifically seek out analog to get a sound that's elusive in software.  Many of them weren't even born yet during the original days of the original Prophet 5, Minimoog etc, yet they can hear the difference and want that sound.

I don't have a crystal ball of course... for all I know we could all be headed toward World War 3 where most manufacturing efforts shift to weapon systems and analog synths become a forgotten art once again. But I definitely don't think the same events will play out the same as before.

LOL if WWIII happens, analog synths won't be the only thing that will be forgotten.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 08:50:34 AM by LoboLives »

LPF83

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2022, 03:54:54 PM »

I don't have a crystal ball of course... for all I know we could all be headed toward World War 3 where most manufacturing efforts shift to weapon systems and analog synths become a forgotten art once again. But I definitely don't think the same events will play out the same as before.

LOL if WWIII happens, analog synths won't be the only thing that will be forgotten.

For sale on Reverb, one Polyvoks in weathered condition but playable and with a relatively low geiger count reading...  $800k :)