7 segment led fail?

7 segment led fail?
« on: March 06, 2022, 07:31:10 AM »
Just wondering if this is a known/supportable issue.

I was recently playing with the effects section and noticed that my the 7-segment display that reads out effect A read 'bhd' instead of 'bbd'...  Upon further inspection, I found that the bottom LED the second digit of that display has stopped working.  Is this a known issue?  If not, what do I get in terms of support?

I purchased it on 4/1/2021, so the year mark is right around the corner!

Re: 7 segment led fail?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 05:26:55 PM »
Contact Sequential Support about it ASAP.
While you're at it, I suggest holding down the HOLD button when powering up the synth to check for other potentially failed LED lights (this will light up ALL the LEDs on the front panel as long as you hold down the HOLD button for diagnosis purposes).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 05:28:59 PM by AlainHubert »
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 05:01:04 AM »
Contact Sequential Support about it ASAP.

Done :)  Thanks for the tip about the HOLD button.  That was the only LED that seems affected.

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 09:42:09 AM »
You're welcome. I hope everything turns out ok.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 11:52:25 PM »
Just wondering if this is a known/supportable issue.

I was recently playing with the effects section and noticed that my the 7-segment display that reads out effect A read 'bhd' instead of 'bbd'...  Upon further inspection, I found that the bottom LED the second digit of that display has stopped working.  Is this a known issue?  If not, what do I get in terms of support?

I purchased it on 4/1/2021, so the year mark is right around the corner!
I have had exactly the same issue with my OB-6. Sequential were nice enough to ship a replacement led to the UK free of charge. I plan to solder it in myself when I can pluck up enough courage to do the operation. I can't bear the prospect of sending my baby to a repair shop for a month or whatever it would most likely take to get the job done and it's out of warranty so it could cost quite a bit with postage costs. I soldered a new oled screen into a Digitakt last year and that was like 16 pins or something so this should be doable.

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 10:04:09 AM »

I have had exactly the same issue with my OB-6. Sequential were nice enough to ship a replacement led to the UK free of charge. I plan to solder it in myself when I can pluck up enough courage to do the operation. I can't bear the prospect of sending my baby to a repair shop for a month or whatever it would most likely take to get the job done and it's out of warranty so it could cost quite a bit with postage costs. I soldered a new oled screen into a Digitakt last year and that was like 16 pins or something so this should be doable.

Yes, with care and patience, and proper equipment (some soldering wick to remove the solder, and good soldering iron/pen), it can be a relatively easy job. If one hasn't done it before, one can practice soldering with some small wires first to see how it goes...   ;)

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2023, 05:08:09 PM »

Yes, with care and patience, and proper equipment (some soldering wick to remove the solder, and good soldering iron/pen), it can be a relatively easy job. If one hasn't done it before, one can practice soldering with some small wires first to see how it goes...   ;)
[/quote]
I plucked up the courage to do it this evening after procrastinating for at least a year and it was ONE HELL OF A JOB. I bought an electrical vacuum solder sucker specifically for the purpose but that wasn't enough to free the pins. After removing every atom of solder that I could I destructively wrestled the faulty led from the board which left a few pins remaining. I removed those remaining pins then laboriously cleaned the solder out of the holes by heating a thick single core of wire and dragging the solder out which involved a high level of sailor's vocabulary but in the end I came through and I'm quite proud of the fact that I got through this difficult episode and now have a fully working OB6.