WALDORF IRIDIUM KEYBOARD (with Polyphonic Aftertouch)

Re: WALDORF IRIDIUM KEYBOARD (with Polyphonic Aftertouch)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 08:13:51 AM »
What's important about this

"It’s boosting an all-new 49-key FATAR TP/8SK semi-weighted polyphonic aftertouch pressure-providing keyboard as the first such implementation of that keyboard in the world"

Meaning we could potentially see Sequential incorporate such a keybed into one of their new synths.

LPF83

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 04:54:25 PM »
What's important about this

"It’s boosting an all-new 49-key FATAR TP/8SK semi-weighted polyphonic aftertouch pressure-providing keyboard as the first such implementation of that keyboard in the world"

Meaning we could potentially see Sequential incorporate such a keybed into one of their new synths.

I'd like to see the channel aftertouch curves on the Rev4 fixed first, personally.  I do like the idea of poly aftertouch as an option if it doesn't add much to the cost, but for me it's not an essential feature as much as something for occasional use (at least that's been my impression from the pads on my Hydrasynth desktop).

My impression of Iridium/Quantum is that they seem like fine synths for folks with lots of time to explore the depths of them.  Music making time isn't all that easy to come by for me, so synths with a high level of immediacy that have lots of sweet spots are my preference.  Softsynths like Serum do wavetables really well and make it hard for me to justify spending a lot of money on a wavetable synth.  Judging solely from demos, the overall tone of the Waldorf M might be more to my liking, maybe they'll release a poly aftertouch version of it.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 09:57:29 AM »
LPF83,

You mentioned AT on the Hydrasynth.  I know you have the desktop, but the immediacy and delicate application of the Poly AT that is possible on the Hydrasynth keyboard is immediately noticed.  I would really miss not having it for that instrument. For solo strings, horns, leads, its really amazingly expressive, enough so that I put my Linn MPE (which I got for that purpose) aside on a shelf. ;)

It seems the biggest limitations with most AT I've played with is that they  suffer w ability to provide subtle graduations.    ASM hit the mark with the cost and accuracy of its implementation.  Not sure who makes their keybed- or is that is even the reason, but it raises the bar.

Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 10:20:20 AM »
LPF83,

You mentioned AT on the Hydrasynth.  I know you have the desktop, but the immediacy and delicate application of the Poly AT that is possible on the Hydrasynth keyboard is immediately noticed.  I would really miss not having it for that instrument. For solo strings, horns, leads, its really amazingly expressive, enough so that I put my Linn MPE (which I got for that purpose) aside on a shelf. ;)

It seems the biggest limitations with most AT I've played with is that they  suffer w ability to provide subtle graduations.    ASM hit the mark with the cost and accuracy of its implementation.  Not sure who makes their keybed- or is that is even the reason, but it raises the bar.

Medelli make the keybed on the HydraSynth as it's owned by the same Chinese umbrella company that ASM is under.

Fatar for years wouldn't budge on developing a poly aftertouch keybed. Sequential commented on this many times when people would request it. "If they aren't budging for Yamaha, they aren't budging for us."

So the fact Waldorf convinced them to finally do it gives me hope we might see Sequential's next synth implement something similar and if it has the VCO/Wavetable architecture of the Pro 3 but in a poly synth, the expressive keyboard would take it beyond what most could have imagined Sequential doing only a few years ago.

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 06:06:26 PM »
LPF83,

I can definitely see how poly AT might be more important for some, and I can also understand how my experience with it through the pads on the desktop may be limited (since I've never enjoyed playing notes on drum pads anyway and feel most at home on the keys).  I got the desktop because it's likely I will get a controller that supports poly AT at some point, and I would prefer it be independent of a particular synth engine when I do.  Whether or not I can get a result I'll be satisfied with, taking that approach, remains to be seen I suppose.  My observation is that good AT depends on not only the controller but the response curve of the synth, and even with channel AT finding exactly the right feel has been somewhat elusive for me (and seems to be more dependent on the synth implementation than the keyboard sensors).

I'm hoping the events of the last couple of years are signaling a phase where more poly AT controller choices will become available.   I'd love to see something like my Komplete Kontrol S61 with poly AT.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2022, 09:19:19 AM »
LPF83,  I misinterpreted when you were saying  ..."at least that was my impression from the pads on the Hydrasynth"...    I thought you meant like (Pad Patches). 

I think we'll continue to see manufactures do a melting pot of the Roli, Linn Instrument and even that finger ring type thing- but incorporated into traditional keys. It really hasn't been that many years for MPE and we're still in the AOL/Yahoo days with that technology relatively speaking.     I really don't like the push/tap pads too much either.   And I found I get a sore back if I use the Linn too long.  It just sets my posture weird hunched over it with elbows out.    I hope Lobo Lives is right about Sequential  maybe adding something like that into their next poly.  Even if they do a bend strip like on the Hydasynth across the top that would be a plus.   It's easily reachable.  Whereas that wood thing on the Polybrute and D beams (light beams) might be too small a target.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

LPF83

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2022, 04:39:27 PM »
LPF83,  I misinterpreted when you were saying  ..."at least that was my impression from the pads on the Hydrasynth"...    I thought you meant like (Pad Patches). 

Gotcha...  and yes, I agree, the Hydrasynth is definitely capable of nice pad patches, which benefit more from poly AT than most other sounds.

maxter

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2022, 11:29:20 AM »
I can definitely see how poly AT might be more important for some, and I can also understand how my experience with it through the pads on the desktop may be limited (since I've never enjoyed playing notes on drum pads anyway and feel most at home on the keys).  I got the desktop because it's likely I will get a controller that supports poly AT at some point, and I would prefer it be independent of a particular synth engine when I do.  Whether or not I can get a result I'll be satisfied with, taking that approach, remains to be seen I suppose.  My observation is that good AT depends on not only the controller but the response curve of the synth, and even with channel AT finding exactly the right feel has been somewhat elusive for me (and seems to be more dependent on the synth implementation than the keyboard sensors).

That sounds odd to my ears, I don't get it... if you like the Hydra as a synth, and intend to get a poly-AT keyboard anyhow... why not the key version? Especially since you don't like the drumpads anyway...  :o  Have you tried the keyboard? Unless you specifically want an MPE controller, I don't get it. (And you get a 4 octave ribbon controller too) And CV outs for controlling analog gear (mono-AT in that case though). Quite versatile for a poly-AT keyboard...

The phenomenal poly-AT implementation alone is enough to get a keyed-Hydra... it's THAT good imo. Not only 6 response curves, but delay, fade-in (attack), release (YEEES!!!) and offset, make it very customizable. I like REALLY sensitive AT, but even for me the softest curve is too soft. I've had EPS-16+, ASR-10 and an old Elka with poly-AT, but nothing comes remotely close to the Hydra.

Only question is 3, 4 or 6 octaves?   ;D

But I really hope ASM have started a trend of bringing back poly-AT to market. Especially for those who don't fancy the Hydras sound engine, other options would be neat.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 11:32:42 AM by maxter »
The Way the Truth and the Life

LPF83

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2022, 03:11:53 PM »
That sounds odd to my ears, I don't get it... if you like the Hydra as a synth, and intend to get a poly-AT keyboard anyhow... why not the key version? Especially since you don't like the drumpads anyway...  :o  Have you tried the keyboard? Unless you specifically want an MPE controller, I don't get it. (And you get a 4 octave ribbon controller too) And CV outs for controlling analog gear (mono-AT in that case though). Quite versatile for a poly-AT keyboard...

A lot of it has to do with physical placement in my (small) studio.  There are only so many spots that a keyboard can occupy in my setup, and four KB synths (Prophet10,Prophet6,OB6,Rev2) are already in the slots other than the slot for my main MIDI controller.  For everything else I pretty much need a module, and then I need a keyboard that's ideal for that (which a synth KB is usually not going to work as well).  The KK S61 is ideal for this because of its DAW integration and custom MIDI templates, for controlling "everything else" (modules and plugins), especially due to nks integration and the KK software, it's really brilliant and the experience would not be matched by trying to control everything else with a synth that has a local off mode.  There are things I can do with it like control Maschine and map the keylight colors to indicate the individual drum types for example.   And to be honest, while I would like to get a poly AT touch controller at some point (for example if a KK S61 were to emerge with that feature), as indicated in an earlier message it is not something I need.  Right now I spend more time going for that sound of early synths that didn't even have channel AT.

The Hydra for me is really an ancillary device... I like it for metallic or choir type sounds that augment a track rather than lead it, or just the experimental nature of it.  It is not a centerpiece synth for me.  Also the Keystep Pro, although small keys, does arping,sequencing, scales, etc better any of the other options in my setup.  But yeah, in truth if I had infinite slots for a full keyboard synth, I would have gone for the 49 key instead of the desktop, I think it's probably a better value.  For now I control the HS desktop from the KK S61, and on the rare occasion I want poly AT I can continue to use the drum pads.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 03:18:09 PM by LPF83 »

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2022, 04:19:48 PM »
I'm very interested to hear how Poly Aftertouch sounds on the sample section of the Iridium

jg666

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2022, 11:48:51 PM »
Matt Johnson has a couple of videos of this synth on his channel just in case you haven't seen them ...

https://youtu.be/2vSJkxeNFwM

https://youtu.be/esRkGQO1KvQ

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2022, 11:05:48 AM »
I would be curious to see what the poly aftertouch response looks like between the Hydrasynth keybed and that used in the Iridium; the active range (and the amount of downward pressure required) ought to be standardized.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2022, 11:24:51 AM »
I would be curious to see what the poly aftertouch response looks like between the Hydrasynth keybed and that used in the Iridium; the active range (and the amount of downward pressure required) ought to be standardized.

It’s unlikely since each are made by 2 different keybed manufacturers (Medelli and Fatar)