Can you turn off velocity on sequencer?

Can you turn off velocity on sequencer?
« on: March 01, 2022, 07:05:29 AM »
When programming sequences via the keyboard I notice that it can be very sensitive to velocity - does anyone know if there is a way to either turn off the velocity response when recording sequences, or to normalise them after recording?

I know you can potentially do this through Soundtower etc., but was wondering if this can be done on the unit itself?

LPF83

Re: Can you turn off velocity on sequencer?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2022, 04:22:41 PM »
When programming sequences via the keyboard I notice that it can be very sensitive to velocity - does anyone know if there is a way to either turn off the velocity response when recording sequences, or to normalise them after recording?

I know you can potentially do this through Soundtower etc., but was wondering if this can be done on the unit itself?

If you just toggle off the Velocity button for Amp and Filter envelopes, the velocity the note was recorded at won't matter.  Or if you just want to scale back use the envelope amount knob as needed.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2022, 06:59:31 AM »

If you just toggle off the Velocity button for Amp and Filter envelopes, the velocity the note was recorded at won't matter.  Or if you just want to scale back use the envelope amount knob as needed.

Hmm.. that doesn't seem to work. I just tried it on a patch on which velocity for both amp and filter are turned off, input a sequence playing keys at differing velocities, yet the velocity differences still remain when playing back.

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2022, 07:38:34 AM »

Hmm.. that doesn't seem to work. I just tried it on a patch on which velocity for both amp and filter are turned off, input a sequence playing keys at differing velocities, yet the velocity differences still remain when playing back.

Try turning it off before you input the sequence.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 03:35:46 PM »
Also, I just did a sanity check on my previous suggestion... the test:

Went to init patch and tweaked amp envelope amount with velocity on to get a very noticable volume velocity range, tapped in some notes in so softly it was dead silence, and others firmly so they were well audible.  Playing back the sequence, some notes were quiet and others loud with velocity toggled on, but with Amp velocity toggled off the played notes were all the same volume as expected.  Velocity Response was set to 0 for this test.

If yours isn't doing same for this test I'd suggest contacting Sequential Support.

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2022, 01:30:03 AM »

Went to init patch and tweaked amp envelope amount with velocity on to get a very noticable volume velocity range, tapped in some notes in so softly it was dead silence, and others firmly so they were well audible.  Playing back the sequence, some notes were quiet and others loud with velocity toggled on, but with Amp velocity toggled off the played notes were all the same volume as expected.  Velocity Response was set to 0 for this test.

If yours isn't doing same for this test I'd suggest contacting Sequential Support.

Interestingly, I tried on another patch and it worked fine, just as you suggested. I have no idea why it didn't work on the previous patch, as I did the exact same thing then too! Maybe I made a mistake first time.. probably sounds like it. Thanks for your help on this, much appreciated!

LPF83

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2022, 03:30:32 AM »

Interestingly, I tried on another patch and it worked fine, just as you suggested. I have no idea why it didn't work on the previous patch, as I did the exact same thing then too! Maybe I made a mistake first time.. probably sounds like it. Thanks for your help on this, much appreciated!

Glad I could help.  Perhaps velocity response was set differently in globals during the earlier attempt?