Poly Evolver Music

chysn

Re: Poly Evolver Music
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2017, 09:04:49 AM »
Too much bottom end would muddy the sound.  I've often considered adding a Moog Minitaur; it would be an obvious addition.  But I don't think the Moog sound would suit this type of bass performance; it would lose the clarity this sort of music needs.

The Minitaur's whole thing is bass clarity. It shakes the earth but you can always identify the pitch. It has one job, and is amazing at it.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2017, 09:25:50 AM »
The problem is, I'm often playing eighth and sixteenth notes way down in the lower registers, using even the 32' range, and with a substantial amount of reverb.  Plus, I need the ability to play two notes at once in the bass - often doubling the octaves, but sometimes adding the upper fifth.  You could be right and I could be wrong, but it seems to me the typical Moog bass sound could make a mess of such dense and busy pedal work.  So, I've played it safe and not tried the Minitaur.

Additional reasons I've not used the Moog are its mere two oscillators and lack of pulse widths and, therefore, PWM.  The Evolver Desktop is excellent for pedalboard bass, and so, too, would be the Prophet '08 Module.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 09:41:07 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2017, 07:28:05 PM »
Imitation for Poly Evolver Keyboard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mnH34DMLBo

« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2017, 06:27:53 AM »
This is all PEK, including what sounds like a voice say "yes' during the last minute.  Bass drum and shaker are Korg EMX.

https://soundcloud.com/wavescape-1/yes-answer
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2017, 06:50:30 AM »
Oh, your poor, sad, and neglected Poly Evolver Keyboard.  She still sounds great, even as she's been P12-ed.

The PEK is excellent at producing patches that sound like a combination of strummed and plucked instruments.  The effect is very sensitive to how you play the keyboard.  This patch has a touch of that quality. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 06:55:27 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2017, 09:20:13 AM »
Well you're almost right Sacred synthesis about my PEK getting "P12'ed",  as it's not just my loved PEK, but also each of my other synths now sharing that fate ;)     

In all seriousness, I could become obsessed with the P12, but I do need to find a regiment now with it now being part of my set up.  It'd would too be easy to want to drive the Ferarri all the time, but as a reality check I think my other gear will always be part of the daily drivers.  The idea being, that even with the DSI gear that I own, the differences and merits of each, validates the use of variation.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2017, 03:53:33 PM »
Here's my latest recording using my PEK and PER along with some other friends.

I really love this spongy and resonant patch.

I can't find any information on the piece or composer, but it's a lovely tune that my mum used to play on piano as a young girl. I recorded this for her birthday, and then made a video for it. I hope you enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zbo_NmHpiI

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2017, 04:17:03 PM »
Excellent.  And yes, it is a nice juicy sort of patch, yet it still has clarity.

I think the Poly Evolver Keyboard is exceedingly photogenic.  Gorgeous!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:25:12 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2017, 11:17:14 AM »
ReubenJones-  I like it.  Has the classic sound basics and beautiful.   

« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2017, 03:44:36 PM »
Thanks Sacred Synthesis and Soundquest. This one is probably the most 'normal' music I've made with the PolyEvolver! I'll be posting some more soon.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2018, 08:17:00 PM »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2018, 11:45:51 PM »

« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2018, 09:17:15 AM »
Sacred Synthesis,   

Just curious, what is your take on the glide on PEK?   I always felt that it seemed either on or off (as if the knob adjustment range is too small).    Oooh at 1:34.  Like the picture too.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2018, 02:50:24 PM »
Soundquest,

For certain, DSI glide is a mystery.  Perhaps a mathematician could keep track of it and arrive at an accurate prediction of its behavior, note by note, but I certainly can't.  I can foresee how it will react about 1/3 of the time.  But I don't have a problem with setting the Amount.  It does respond with more glide or less glide, rather than in an on/off manner. 

I made this patch with two other instruments in mind: the Korg Prologue and the DSI Prophet 12.  Regarding the first, I don't think a serious comparison can be made.  Keep in mind that this is a single sound, rather than one that is layered.  There is a fair amount of reverb added, as well as onboard delay, but no chorus.  So, this is basically raw Evolver.  I don't think the Korg could come within a hundred miles of the sonic richness and depth.  As for the P12, I don't know.  I'd need more time to work with one (please, God!).  But I wonder whether or not a P12 could match this patch.  I think the Evolver has an exceptional filter, seemingly better than the one on the P12.  But that wouldn't stop me from getting one!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 04:14:38 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2018, 02:32:53 PM »
Since glide is polyphonic, each voice glides from the last note that it played to the current note that voice is playing, so glide can seem to come from a few different locations.

The lowpass filter in the Evolver is literally identical to the filter in the P12, it's the exact same part from the same manufacturer.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2018, 02:45:25 PM »
Since glide is polyphonic, each voice glides from the last note that it played to the current note that voice is playing, so glide can seem to come from a few different locations.

The lowpass filter in the Evolver is literally identical to the filter in the P12, it's the exact same part from the same manufacturer.

There must be other components involved, then, because I compared the two side-by-side and, to my ears, they sounded different.  At the very least, the PEK's stereo filters go a long way to enriching the overall sound.  But that's good news to me, a potential P12 buyer!

« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2018, 03:00:03 PM »

There must be other components involved, then, because I compared the two side-by-side and, to my ears, they sounded different.  At the very least, the PEK's stereo filters go a long way to enriching the overall sound.  But that's good news to me, a potential P12 buyer!

The key difference here is the stereo arrangement. Even if the audio signal only varies ever so slightly by going through two filters at the same time, it will cause that enriching effect you mentioned. If I remember correctly, though, the Prophet 12's LP filter frequency response was slightly tweaked with regard to the DSP-based oscillators.

dslsynth

« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2018, 03:08:35 PM »
There must be other components involved, then, because I compared the two side-by-side and, to my ears, they sounded different.

The Evolver uses a A/D + DSP + D/A step after the filter/amp so there are indeed different components involved.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2018, 03:10:43 PM »

The key difference here is the stereo arrangement. Even if the audio signal only varies ever so slightly by going through two filters at the same time, it will cause that enriching effect you mentioned. If I remember correctly, though, the Prophet 12's LP filter frequency response was slightly tweaked with regard to the DSP-based oscillators.

Keep in mind, though, that I did use the Output B on the P12 and run it in stereo, even altering one layer's filter cut off frequency to emulate the PEK's stereo filter.

« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2018, 03:15:32 PM »
Keep in mind, though, that I did use the Output B on the P12 and run it in stereo, even altering one layer's filter cut off frequency to emulate the PEK's stereo filter.

Right. Hence I brought up the aspect with the slight filter tweak on the P12. So the response may vary a bit.