Poly Evolver Music

Re: Poly Evolver Music
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2017, 11:42:02 AM »
Something light-hearted for a change:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgNsUlJY7Gg

Sacred Synthesis,  You mentioned in your youtube comments on this one about Evolver to be had for ~ $400.  You mean like the table-top evolver?   If so,  could I add one of those on via polychain for another voice to my PEK?
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2017, 12:16:58 PM »
That's the spirit!  Keep the Evolvers alive.  How could anyone exhaust a Poly Evolver's musical and sonic potential?  I look forward to hearing more of your work.

I'll be posting more PEK videos as well, but you'll still have to look at mountains, rivers, and lakes while you listen.  ::)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 12:34:55 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2017, 12:26:50 PM »
Something light-hearted for a change:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgNsUlJY7Gg

Sacred Synthesis,  You mentioned in your youtube comments on this one about Evolver to be had for ~ $400.  You mean like the table-top evolver?   If so,  could I add one of those on via polychain for another voice to my PEK?

Yes, I was referring to the Evolver Desktop, which is the easiest to find these days.  I watch the prices: Generally speaking, Desktops go for $350-400, Poly Evolver Racks for $1,000, Mono Evolver Keyboards for $1,000, and Poly Evolver Keyboards for $2,000.  And yes, you can poly chain the Desktop to a Mono or Poly Evolver for increased voices.  I'm not certain if the very earliest units might need an upgrade, though.  Ask DSI.  Also, the Desktop version has a higher output level than the poly versions, so you'd need some means of trimming back the volume to get an overall balance between the two instruments.  There's nothing like an old-fashioned analog mixer.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:16:39 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2017, 09:21:34 AM »
Interesting...I probably wont go with a rack, due to cost, even though I tossed the idea around before.  But that one more voice via desktop would be useful to me.  Still got open mixer channels, but my issue is becoming more of wall outlet space.   Hmmn, it'd be a reasonable affordable addition for my "flagship",  but then I wanted to start setting aside for Rev 2 .  Too many decisions :-\
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2017, 07:15:43 AM »
Just messin' around with a midi file into PEK in combo mode for main melody.  A little rendition of a 60's song.

Percussion: acoustic

"Children's choir":  me thru a Strymon Big Sky

Humming, Whistles and everything else; Poly Evolver Keyboard

https://soundcloud.com/wavescape-1/love-is-all-around

« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2017, 08:15:40 AM »
Still got open mixer channels, but my issue is becoming more of wall outlet space.   

Not sure if you've gone the rack route yet, but I've found my $80 power conditioner massively useful for providing more outlets, but more importantly, eliminating mysterious ground hum issues.  I'm tempted to make a 4-space rack just for power.

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2017, 07:46:06 AM »
proteus-ix,     I have one more outlet open on mine ;)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2017, 06:49:09 PM »
An all-Evolver improvisation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOGd3v-rC_M

« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2017, 08:43:33 AM »
An all-Evolver improvisation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOGd3v-rC_M

Beautiful!  Definitely reminded me of Peter Gabriel's Passion.  You have TWO PEKs *AND* a rack??  Somehow I didn't know/recall that.

How do you feel the Novation Peak will compare?  Too much overlap, or are the designs different enough?  I'm GASing hard for one for it's 8voices... 8voices of analog-leaning hybrid in the Peak and 4 of digital-leaning hybrid of the PEK, both with wavetables!  Add in a Moog or Pro One for bass, and who really needs anything else?  Ok, besides a Hammond and a DX7.  :)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2017, 10:43:36 AM »
Thanks, Proteus-IX.  Yes, I'm using that number of Evolvers, plus an Evolver Desktop for the bass.  And I'm not influenced by Gabriel, nor have I ever heard that song.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 10:24:29 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2017, 02:03:36 PM »
A simple all-Evolver improvisation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG5tdXeZ_lU

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2017, 08:55:10 AM »
Nice use of the PEK HP filter Sacred Synthesis.   I was wondering if you have ever noticed the noise that the PEK HP filter introduces as being an odd artifact?  Firstly, there is a definite clicky-ness (at least on mine) when engaging it from an off position.  Also, it seems to have a slight amount of "background noise" introduced when engaged at any position.  It almost sounds like a different amp stage is being introduced or something.    I have not noticed such behavior of HP on other instruments.     Not a huge deal since such noise would be covered by the HP sound anyway.  But if you wanted to slowly bring HP up and down from an off position, lets say using a mod source, then it might cause clicking.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2017, 09:29:41 AM »
Thanks, Soundquest.  Yes, I certainly have noticed the high pass filter noise.  It's crackly however you use it alright, but the Evolver makes so much noise in general(!) that I consider it to be only more of the same.  When I intend to use the high pass during a piece, I maintain it at "1".  Since the worst noise comes when you first engage it from "0" to "1," I never do so during a recording.  That avoids that very loud "pop" when you first turn it on.  The Evolver has to be babied in so many ways that I don't find the high pass issue to be too much trouble.  I find the unbelievable amount of digital aliasing in the wave shapes to be more of a challenge.  Regardless - and I know you agree - it's a fabulous instrument and the idiosyncrasies only make it all the more endearing.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2017, 03:31:13 PM »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2017, 08:33:31 PM »
A few thoughts on synthesized choir patches.  I was researching vocoders the other day and thinking about adding one to the music room.  I've always loved the sound, but there's hardly a more electronic-sounding effect on earth.  Still, the Roland models offer a decent choir simulation that allows for diction with some clarity.  It's tempting.  But for the time being, I decided to fire up the old eight-voice Poly Evolver and let her run around a bit.  The thought continued to be the venerable choir sound.  As is the case with my sound design in general, I never intend to fool anyone, nor do I ever want to achieve that degree of realism.  If I do, then I'll turn off the synthesizer and go join an actual choir.  No, I want my strings, brass, organ, and choir patches to sound positively synthesized, but - ironically - in a minimally electronic and maximally natural way.  That's the strange challenge, and it's one reason I'll probably never use a vocoder or a mellotron. 

Regarding choir patches, I prefer one that is warm, expressive, mysterious, and especially strong in the bass, baritone, and alto ranges.  If the music is to have a noble spirit, then the sound must be equally noble and free of everything ridiculous and irreverent.  And when the moment is right to employ it in the midst of a piece of music, dropping your left hand on the keyboard must fill the air with an ethereal beauty and loftiness of spirit that makes one a better person, or at least makes one want to be a better person. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 08:52:24 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2017, 10:57:38 AM »
I understand what you are saying SS.  I have researched it, but have decided that I'll probably won't again consider getting a module or software that offers 1000's of instruments samples.   I suppose that if my living was contingent of doing film scores I might have a different opinion on the matter.  But when I stopped and thought about it, a root core of the synth hobby for me has been the plain fun of making sounds from scratch.    That being said, I guess it's just a personal choice- how you want your sound to be.   I too rather have the listener know that it's a synth originating the sound.   Ironically, veering from that opinion,  I did a few years ago get a Roland VP8 voice box.  It has the usual choir sounds, harmony for vocals,  and a surprising limited selection of V-coder sound options.  In retrospect,  I would not repeat the purchase.  It was expensive for what you get, and I soon learned that the temptation was to use its "automatic choir".   There's not really any option for varying the choir sounds, so next thing you know, you have that same darn monk choir in every piece.   

I've had what I'd call only "limited success" getting the ideal choir sound on PEK, but looks like you have a nice rendition here, especially ~ 5:30.   I'm finding the OB6 and Pro 2 to be very capable of choir sounds.   

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2017, 12:35:18 PM »
Soundquest -

Yes, like yourself, I positively prefer to immerse myself in sound design, rather than punch in someone else's preset - the same one everyone else is using. 

I do wish I could hear the Poly Evolver choir renditions that others have made.  I'm sure someone has a better one than I have, but there's so little Evolver interest here.  Basically, just you and me.  I'd also like to hear a Prophet 12's versions of a choir parch.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 12:59:18 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2017, 12:06:09 PM »
I've gotten this interest brewing in the P12 lately so I've been surfin' the videos.   I too would like to hear it's abilities with a choir patch.   Being it's possible to do so with a Pro 2 I'm thinking the expansive P12 it would cover the job nicely.  I guess with any synth there's definitely an art to making a choir (I mean without reaching for the formant filter or effects first).

I should mention that I do find PEK good for the "talking vowels" type voices.    I've gone so far as to import a wave forms of my voice humming, sampled a snipit, and used that in both OSC 3 & 4.  The problem I have with human voices is getting them to sound authentic outside of a limited note range.   I'll eventually post a few of those voice type sounds from PEK.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 12:08:07 PM by Soundquest »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2017, 12:43:54 PM »
Great.  I'd love to hear what you've got. 

The challenge with the choir patch is that simply transposing a vowel sound to other registers doesn't suffice.  A patch that sounds decent in a lower register will produce that dreaded chipmunk quality in a higher register.  My sense is that the issue involves, not only differing filter settings, but differing wave shapes as well.  In other words, the female voice is not merely a male voice in a higher register; rather, it's an entirely different type of voice.  So, I wouldn't expect to ever find the perfect choir patch that works in both the lower and higher ranges.  No, it will always require two different choir patches - one for male choir and one for female choir.

I'm still intrigued by the Prophet 12 too, although to this day I still haven't played or heard one in person.  I've searched online but never found a recording of a P12 choir patch.  Perhaps a brief snippet exists within a long demo.  But as for the Prophet 12 itself, the Youtube videos are hopelessly discouraging.  I'd love to like this instrument, but the demos sound awful to me.  Not only is its natural voice sterile and harsh, but the monophonic field makes it sound even worse.  Perhaps all of this is misrepresentation.  It's entirely possible that all the folks who have made P12 videos are on the opposite end of the synthesizer spectrum from me, so that they've neglected to demonstrate the aspects that would appeal.  Maybe the P12 would be my favorite instrument in the whole synth world.  But for now, the poly Evolver Keyboard - in spite of its idiosyncrasies - sounds far superior to the Prophet 12.  What to make of it all?

Anyways, what has changed your opinion of the Prophet 12?  Would your intent be to have it replace your Poly Evolver?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 12:45:40 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2017, 11:38:12 AM »
Sacred Synthesis,  To be honest,  I have not even thought about P12 until just a few months ago.  What happened was that I stumbled onto a few P12 videos I like.  I think one was called something like immersing into sound.  I guess I've seen enough since the instruments inception to sway me into considering it (which as you suggested, was not even my original opinion of it).   Owning the Pro 2 gave me more confidence yet.  Knowing that it had same sound architecture and knowing that it could be made to sound good.    One of the early criticisms of P12 on the forum, from what I recall, was it's lack of bass.   Again, the Pro 2 seemed to produce enough bass for my liking.  I'm now at the point where I'm interested in learning more about the instruments softer side, which I'm sure it has.  I want something that I can make monster pads, multi layers.  The lack of sequencer bothers me a bit, which would probably have already sold me on it.   That all into consideration, if I do decide to go this route, it more or less eliminates any other synth related purchase I would make in the near future.    So, here I am in this quandary.  Sort of like you with your indecision on the "ideal mono  synth".    So, will something better come along?   Should I splurge on a Modal?   I need to consider space too.  I cannot even consider the desktop version of P12, so I would need more space to accommodate without ridding my other instruments.  Maybe the safe route for now is to nurse along the PEK, but give it a pacemaker.   

So, I will never replace the PEK voluntarily, and in fact, am still considering options to add more voices, as we discussed a few months ago.  But I will keep this idea in my head, that should I ever need to, that the P12 would be the closest instrument I could think of at present to do the job.