Long attack not responding in stack mode

Long attack not responding in stack mode
« on: February 27, 2022, 10:49:53 AM »
I'm trying to create a 2 layer pad with long attack in stack mode. When playing the layers individually, the long attack sounds normal when changing chords. But when the stack is applied, chords start abruptly, almost like if attack was set to zero.
Is this normal behaviour? How can it be solved? Seems like the prophet reacts like this when running out of voices?

Thankyou

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Long attack not responding in stack mode
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 11:23:25 AM »
You're right.  Since each layer is reduced to four voices, the problem could be voice-stealing.  Does it happen with the first chord strike?

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 03:16:35 PM »
Thanks for your reply Sacred Synthesis.

It doesn't happen with the first chord, but with subsequent. If it is voice stealing, then I guess there's no other solution tan to give up the stack in this case.

Gracias!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 05:46:37 AM »
One compromise is to shorten the release time and play in a more detached style.  It's not ideal, I know, but in some cases it can be managed.

LPF83

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 09:20:02 AM »
Recent discussion about this in the P6 forum (it is not specific to the model of synth other than the fact it can manifest differently on each depending on settings):

https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,5966.0.html
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 10:20:24 AM »
Thanks for the interesting thread, now I understand. Gotta love the most frequent suggestion being 'just get a second synth for that second hand'.

LPF83

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2022, 10:41:32 AM »
Thanks for the interesting thread, now I understand. Gotta love the most frequent suggestion being 'just get a second synth for that second hand'.

Not sure I saw that specific suggestion, at least in the thread above -- I saw one suggestion for polychaining 2 units for a total of 12 voices, but it was referring to the P6 (I'm not even sure if the P'08 can be polychained).

The shortened release time (using reverb to assist the release) that was suggested is the likely most cost effective / easy to implement solution.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2022, 01:15:39 PM »
Of course, the real solution to XJuarezz's problem is the expensive one: add a Prophet '08 Module. 

LPF83

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2022, 02:22:47 PM »
Of course, the real solution to XJuarezz's problem is the expensive one: add a Prophet '08 Module.

Yes but although to a lesser degree, this retriggering can still happen with a 16 voice synth.

Although, I've come to the conclusion that synths aren't really expensive, they're actually decent investments.  Because with the possible exception of some less popular brands, whatever synth you buy today is probably going to cost a lot more (regardless of condition) in the future.