Prophet 12 in Multi Mode (Bug?)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Prophet 12 in Multi Mode (Bug?)
« on: July 13, 2016, 10:17:54 AM »
Hi... as I've just started using my P12 in multi mode I've ran into something I do not like. I'm not sure if this is a bug, or if I have made some wrong settings, but when in multi mode, and controlling the two parts from my sequencer, the P12 seems to take MIDI volume (CC7) messages, and apply them to both channels at the same time.

If I change the volume on say; channel 1 (A), then the volume of part B also changes in volume.

Is this a bug? ... it makes it a bit irritating when trying to set levels for the two channels from your sequencer.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Re: Prophet 12 in Multi Mode (Bug?)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 10:37:06 AM »
CC7 is for Master Volume control, so it will always affect both layers, even if you are in multi-mode. If you want to affect the level of each layer independently when in multi-mode, use CC12 - Voice Volume. CC12 sent on the Layer A MIDI channel will control Layer A's level. CC12 sent on the Layer B MIDI channel will control Layer B's level.
SEQUENTIAL

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 11:39:11 AM »
Well... that's a bit weird I think... most sequencers have a dedicated volume control for a channel using CC7... so now I cannot use that to control the volume, and has to set it on the P12 front panel instead... I'll live, but it's still a bit irritating really, and not very standard.

And now I've come across another weird behavior ... when I change the Pan using the standard Pan controller CC, it does not work as expected either... I know that the Spread parameter does something to the Panning of the voices, but even with that at zero, the panning is in the middle (mono) when the Pan CC is "0"... not "64" as normal. Is the Pan CC used to control the Spread parameter instead?

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 12:34:47 PM »
When you say the "Pan CC", are you referring to CC10? If so, then yes CC10 is Pan Spread, as listed in the P12 manual.
SEQUENTIAL

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 02:24:20 PM »
Yes... that was what I was referring to... just the two standard volume and pan CC's... guess I'll just have to accept that these do not work like a standard multi timbral synth... but thanks for the info anyway...

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 10:39:03 AM »
You're quite welcome.
SEQUENTIAL