Documentary on Tom Oberheim

Sacred Synthesis

Documentary on Tom Oberheim
« on: February 17, 2022, 09:07:05 PM »
Tom is an honorary member of the Dave Smith family.  Who could resist a documentary on him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAdapwLeXgs
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 09:30:57 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LPF83

Re: Documentary on Tom Oberheim
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2022, 04:50:42 PM »
Tom is an honorary member of the Dave Smith family.  Who could resist a documentary on him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAdapwLeXgs

Great video, I always enjoy anything synth-history related.  I had never heard the full story on how Tom got started before this.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 02:38:01 PM »
But didn't you want to jump in at the end and ask Tom, "But now what?"  I'd love for him to resume making the SEM or some other instrument.  The Oberheim sound compliments so well the DSI/Sequential sound.  The two belong together in an ensemble of synthesizers.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 03:40:04 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 03:34:43 PM »
But didn't you want to jump in at the end and ask Tom, "But now what?"  I'd love for him to resume making the SEM or some other instrument.  The Oberheim sound compliments so well the DSI/Sequential sound.  The two belong together is an ensemble of synthesizers.

Yes, I've actually been reserving space in my studio and my budget for what I've hoped would be an announcement of a proper OBXa reissue, which I thought might be another Dave & Tom collaboration.  I don't really care if it comes under the Sequential brand vs Oberheim as much as I care about the authenticity of the sound, but I don't have any reservations about that now, since the Prophet 5/10 Rev 4 turned out nicely.  I know supply chain issues have caused a lot of problems for manufacturing in general lately, so I'm crossing fingers this will become a case of good things come to those who wait...  Whenever I see any sort of video activity like this, I sometimes wonder if the timing of it is less than coincidental and maybe a foreshadowing of good news sometime soon.  Maybe the Focusrite acquisition will open some doors that will help with all of the current challenges.

The pessimist in me wonders if Behringer really gave Tom back his brand name only because Uli saw that Dave had trademarked OBXa, and new that was a threat to their highly anticipated budget-knock-off version, and so by giving Tom back the name Oberheim, it could create complications and barriers, such as preventing Dave from releasing OBXa under the Sequential name.  One consipiracy theory anyway, I suppose.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 03:41:24 PM »
I believe there's good reason for your hope.

And regarding your latter theory, who knows if Ukulele (my name for him, to undermine name searches) might just have done the right thing?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 04:03:12 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LPF83

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2022, 03:57:05 PM »
I believe there is good reason for your hope.

And regarding your latter theory, who knows if Ukulele (my name for him, to undermine name searches) might just have done the right thing?

Anything is possible, but I always look at a persons track record.  Only he knows his real motives.  It was a good business move as a public relations repair stepping stone if nothing else to give back the Oberheim name, and I don't think his business savvy has ever been in question.  Usurpation of the name in the first place does not seem characteristic of someone who genuinely cares about the history of musical instruments, but humans are what they are and people can change, so who knows.  I just hope he doesn't sue you for calling him a ukulele :)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2022, 04:05:07 PM »
I just hope he doesn't sue you for calling him a ukulele :)

There's just no escaping him, is there?   ???

maxter

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2022, 04:47:42 AM »
I just hope he doesn't sue you for calling him a ukulele :)

There's just no escaping him, is there?   ???

He’s practically the ”Boogey man”, living rent-free in many synth-heads, in black and white worlds with no grey, color or nuance… ;) my general impression of the internet ”discussions” if you could call them that… I suppose it’s only human nature, there just seems to be relatively few ”nuanced” opinions, on both ”sides” of the fence. It just has to be black or white…

Interesting documentary on Tom Oberheim though, thanks!
The Way the Truth and the Life

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2022, 12:35:53 PM »
I actually made a nice comment about him above, even more white than grey.  But I still know enough to avoid using his name on this forum, as pretty much everyone does.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 12:40:22 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

maxter

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2022, 01:10:12 PM »
I actually made a nice comment about him above, even more white than grey.
Yes, I noticed... :)  this, right? :
"who knows if Ukulele (my name for him, to undermine name searches) might just have done the right thing?"
I have no idea as to WHY he did, but seems like the right thing to do! Apparently, he also donated the synthesizers to children that he pledged to do. I hope he keeps it up!

But I still know enough to avoid using his name on this forum, as pretty much everyone does.
Me included. I suppose it's common knowledge these days? If not, one will soon learn! ;)

I didn't, and wouldn't, imply that you're not one of the "relatively few", referring to my last post. It's just so sensitive to the black/whites, that a poke in the eye, now and then, should be good for their health.  ;D

It's all fun though!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 01:17:02 PM by maxter »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2022, 01:17:26 PM »
Yes, it's all in good fun.  But I agree with your presumed view that, whatever is said about Ukulele, it should at least be accurate and just. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 02:35:07 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LPF83

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2022, 04:16:09 PM »
Yes, it's all in good fun.  But I agree with your presumed view that, whatever is said about Ukulele, it should at least be accurate and just.

After all, I did begin my comment with "The pessimist in me wonders if....".  If there is a policy or preference for not saying his name or the company then I certainly understand (especially after what happened) and I'm happy to adhere.  Just know I wouldn't say something that brings legal risk to myself or others, so it was more of a thinking aloud thing.

I've mentioned this before on this forum, but if a company (including the one in question) produces a great instrument at a great price and I like the sound of it, I will likely buy it regardless of anything else..  Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think that puts me very much in the "grey" zone as well.  In fact I already "sort of" own one of his products, I have a cheap reverb pedal (which does not compete with my better pedals, but is quite good for the price) from TC which is one of his brands.  Industry politics will never stand between me and gear I want.  Might it influence the decision or not to buy?  Possibly, given the choice between two products of equal value, one of a company whose track record I like and another I don't, then yeah it definitely might sway a purchasing decision..  but that's probably as far as that goes.

jok3r

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2022, 02:08:24 AM »
He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named ...  ;D
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

LPF83

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2022, 03:22:28 PM »
Getting back to the documentary on Tom, as much as I enjoyed it, it does appear to be more of a marketing effort for a softsynth.  Not saying it's not a good softsynth or to take anything away from the video itself, although certainly paying Tom to endorse it is very transparently a marketing move... which is okay I guess but for me a little disappointing as I was hoping it was the precursor of a hardware announcement.

Speaking of marketing moves, some companies (not that any specific vendors of Ukeleles and other portable stringed instruments come to mind) seem to spend a lot more time making "teasers" of products than they do actual products.  I just wonder if anyone actually appreciates teaser announcements of unreleasable products, or lets it affect their purchasing decisions? 

I personally like the Sequential approach, keep it under wraps until it's real and can be purchased. 

I can only think of one possible situation in which "teasers" would actually be beneficial to both the consumer and producer of products; if the teaser is designed to generate excitement right before (within days) of the product release (as seems to be the case with this soft synth)... nothing wrong with generating awareness of a new product that is available. 

A less honorable method of markeing might be teasing months or years in advance about what might become reality or might not seems more like a tactic to stop buyers from spending their dollars on existing superior competitor products, or just as a general gossip/attention seeking publicity stunt to draw attention to the brand.  So when one sees lots of teasers going in different directions, one tends to feel spammed with junk mail.... for me personally it's like every teaser of a new product just reminds me of ongoing teasers of products never released, which sort of further undermines credibility or faith in product.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 03:28:35 PM by LPF83 »

maxter

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2022, 05:37:50 PM »
I agree, I think...

Teasers sometimes lights a spark... hey, perhaps that's something for me? But that doesn't last very long. I don't think it helps the Boogeyman or others companies to have teasers so long before it actually exists. But I appreciate that they do, because the initial "thrill" dies off soon enough, and then it's most often off my list... So it gives you plenty of time to consider, so you likely make the right decision... except for the 2600 in my case, where I actually got thrilled by its release, but only because I could finally be able to play one, so the above didn't really play into it at all.

A teaser shouldn't be more than 1-2 months at MOST, prior to actual release, imo. Says I anyhow, who's supporting the Boaz One not done after 2 years... still waiting!  :o

LPF83

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2022, 05:53:48 PM »
I agree, I think...

Teasers sometimes lights a spark... hey, perhaps that's something for me? But that doesn't last very long. I don't think it helps the Boogeyman or others companies to have teasers so long before it actually exists. But I appreciate that they do, because the initial "thrill" dies off soon enough, and then it's most often off my list... So it gives you plenty of time to consider, so you likely make the right decision... except for the 2600 in my case, where I actually got thrilled by its release, but only because I could finally be able to play one, so the above didn't really play into it at all.

A teaser shouldn't be more than 1-2 months at MOST, prior to actual release, imo. Says I anyhow, who's supporting the Boaz One not done after 2 years... still waiting!  :o

I think a month or two ahead of actual product release is fine.  I guess what irks me is when I feel like vaporware is being teased as a way to measure interest in a product before that product has undergone substantial investment.  It's a bit like using the customer as a lab rat to see which flavor of cheese will be the most profitable.

Waldorf is doing a bit of teasing right now with something yet to be announced, I somehow don't doubt that it's already a reality and they aren't just using YT as a survey mechanism.

I think of the holy grail of product release annoucements (for me), was when the P5/10 were announced by Dave.  It was apparently kept well under wraps until it was done and tested because I honestly wasn't expecting it (at all) at the time, and for someone like me that always wanted one it was a monumental occasion in synth history.

I guess over time, I've observed that with most things, the farther ahead in time that hype is generated for something, the wider the gap grows between hype and reality, and the net joy or disappointment at the end is a direct reflection of that timeline.