Evolver midi out

Evolver midi out
« on: July 12, 2016, 03:11:08 PM »
Hello.

I have a problem using my Evolver as a sequenser for other units, anyone able to quickly point me in the correct direction? Do you have to assign the sequenses to the midi out channel separately?

chysn

Re: Evolver midi out
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 05:43:43 PM »
To send the sequencer to MIDI Out, choose MIDI Note Out as a destination of the sequencer.

It's important to note that if you make a melodic sequence that plays an Evolver oscillator, switching its destination over to MIDI Note Out will not play the same notes. This is because the MIDI Note Out destination uses MIDI Note numbers minus one (e.g., sequence step value=59 sends note number 60), while the oscillator note destination uses a quarter-tone scaling. (It's a case where flexibility in one area trumps flexibility in a more important area, or DSI being too cute by half.) The conversion from weird quarter-tone scale to MIDI note number is (value / 2) + 48, and then subtract one when entering the sequence value into the Evolver.

If memory serves, the first Note Out destination sends at the Evolver's main MIDI Out channel, and subsequent Note Out destinations increase the channel by one. It's something like that, you'll have to experiment.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 07:44:49 AM »
Hm.
Somehow I´m still not able to record midi notes, but my DAW is getting a lot of signals to the MOD WHEEL .. ?

EDIT found it

EDIT2 thanks!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 08:14:32 AM by oysteinmoen »

Peter Hanes

• Evolver, PolyEvolver
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 03:09:34 PM »
... the MIDI Note Out destination uses MIDI Note numbers minus one (e.g., sequence step value=59 sends note number 60),

If memory serves, the first Note Out destination sends at the Evolver's main MIDI Out channel, and subsequent Note Out destinations increase the channel by one.

For the sake of posterity, on the latest OS version, the Evolver's sequencer actually sends the sequencer value as MIDI note number when the sequencer destination is MIDI Note Out. The manual (page 18) and Anu Kirk's guide (page 93, presumably just citing the manual) are both wrong.

Every sequencer row whose destination is set to MIDI Note Out actually sends the note messages on the same basic MIDI channel number.