Menus switching while editing?

Elric

• Peak Oil
Menus switching while editing?
« on: February 17, 2022, 04:45:57 PM »

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen "random" menu switching happen.

While I'm editing, the menus will pop around sometimes. I was worried it might be an actual hardware problem but I think I've found that it is 'just' switching (back) to the menu of a knob I recently moved.  Like it is "finalizing" a previous dial adjustment (jumping, late, to the next contact on the pod).  Does anybody else have this happen to them?

Thanks.
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

gus

Re: Menus switching while editing?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 07:49:16 AM »
Hi Elric,

If you haven't already done so, go ahead and reach out directly to support@sequential.com. To speed things up, be sure to include your serial number, date/place of purchase, and current OS (displayed in the global menu). Should be a quick one to resolve  :)
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 01:24:50 AM »
@Elric, did you get this fixed? I'm noticing something similar, and it always seems to be jumping to VCA Env Amt. I believe the setting gets clobbered, which I've verified with a revert, but I haven't paid close attention to when exactly it happens, so maybe I've turned that knob. I'll watch more closely, but I'm wondering if this was a hardware repair for you.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2022, 08:46:52 PM »
That Pro 3 is with Sequential right now for a tune up. It also couldn't dump/output sysex data.

They are also looking at the pots / menu flipping.

There are a couple threads from months ago on this forum about this same problem, so it's not new. Maybe to do with the supply chain issues and chip/electronics shortages?  It seems Sequential hasn't had much luck with dials and pots for a while.  It's a bummer because I love the design and tone of the Pro3.

I had an idea to maybe fix it a little while back, I'm not a programmer, but...
  If they could have Jump Pot Mode use a "smaller" version of the Passthru Pot Mode idea, where it wouldn't update until it changed more than 1 or 3 "tics", or contacts(?) than that might keep it from jumping back to a dial/pot that was "finalizing" it's value a bit late.  But that might screw something else up, I don't know.

Anyway, I'll find out in a week or few I guess.
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2022, 11:09:41 PM »
I'm noticing something similar, and it always seems to be jumping to VCA Env Amt. I believe the setting gets clobbered, which I've verified with a revert, but I haven't paid close attention to when exactly it happens, so maybe I've turned that knob. I'll watch more closely

I think I figured this one out (big jumps in value) when I was testing/checking on the menu flipping. It can happen if you use the 'Show' feature and turn a knob, then drop out of 'Show' and go back to editing. The dial/parameter you 'showed' can be very far off of the value stored in the patch, and then when the pot "finalizes" it's position it pops the value to a completely new number. (Oh crap, that breaks my fix idea above!  :/  )

I was seeing jumps to many menus. Osc menus, the Filter menu, the Filt and Amp Envelope menus...  I think it doesn't happen with the discrete(?) dials (the ones that "tick" to the next value), just with the "smooth" dials (continuous?).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 11:15:31 PM by Elric »

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2022, 11:50:55 PM »
Mine's not as severe, but it's impossible so far to determine a pattern as to when it happens. I can switch to a new patch, then come back to the Pro-3 in a few minutes to see the window now shows the VCA info with the VCA Env Amt tab active. I believe it's also clobbering values, but no smoking gun yet.

ADDED: Come to think of it, from day one, I'd leave my favorite patch on there, then turn back to the Pro-3 an hour or more later to find the sound clamped down and not giving off much sound at all. Switching away and switching back always fixed it, and I'd always thought it was some unpleasant quirk of my unit when it was left idling too long, but now it seems like it may be this same problem where the VCA envelope settings get changed. I never checked to see exactly what had been changed, just always switching away and switching back. If I'd noticed it was part of a larger pattern, it could have been taken care of within the 30-day return period, but now I'm stuck, possibly for a big expense because I have to ship overseas for service.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 11:56:17 PM by blipson »

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2022, 04:59:27 AM »
Here's something weird. When my menu flips, the Env Amt always gets changed to "+77." Note the plus sign, which you never see on that Env Amt. The correct value is 79, so it's definitely getting clobbered. When I change it back to 79, then back to 77, there's no plus sign on the 77. Before and after photos:

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2022, 11:47:49 AM »
Here's something weird. When my menu flips, the Env Amt always gets changed to "+77." Note the plus sign, which you never see on that Env Amt. The correct value is 79, so it's definitely getting clobbered. When I change it back to 79, then back to 77, there's no plus sign on the 77. Before and after photos:

That first pic is the Filter Env amount. (Look at the lower left tab. I always have to look for that too. It's not very obvious which Envelope you're looking at.)  - Those two tabs on the right of the filter menu really should say Filt ADSR and Filt Env Amt.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 12:01:47 PM by Elric »

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2022, 04:05:53 PM »
Thanks. I'll watch that more closely when doing the revert to see what exactly gets clobbered.

ADDED: Yes, it's both filter Env Amt and VCA Env Amt getting clobbered, the amount moving by 2. On another patch, the VCA Env Amt gets moved to 72, but reverts to 127, so the clobbering is sometimes a lot. I'll now make sure to observe the aux envelopes.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 05:26:11 PM by blipson »

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2022, 07:27:07 PM »
Those two tabs on the right of the filter menu really should say Filt ADSR and Filt Env Amt.

In fact, I'll add that as a wish+ here...
  The top left of the open space in each of the Envelope menus should say "Filt" or "Amp" or "Aux1"/"Aux2" in them.
And the Filter /  FilterEnv tabs should say,
 |   Filter   |   Filt Misc   |  Filt ADSR  | Filt Env Amt |

(Btw, the "Misc" tab only says "Fil Misc" right now.)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2022, 07:51:12 PM by Elric »

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2022, 12:40:40 AM »
I don't see the other envelopes getting clobbered. If it's just those two Env Amt's, I can maybe work within that indefinitely. It sucks, though, when you're wiggling a knob, then a menu flip happens and you end up confused with what you're looking at. Maybe I can work with that, too, for a while.

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2022, 05:53:13 PM »
Tech support verifies the problem is related to the filter blinking lights problem and requires a motherboard swap. The fix looks very doable for the user, so that avoids shipping the whole Pro-3, so I'll have no down time.

chysn

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2022, 12:13:18 PM »
Tech support verifies the problem is related to the filter blinking lights problem and requires a motherboard swap. The fix looks very doable for the user, so that avoids shipping the whole Pro-3, so I'll have no down time.

I've done this, and it's a very easy process.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his