Hybrid DJ Sets Thoughts

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
Hybrid DJ Sets Thoughts
« on: July 09, 2016, 09:12:15 AM »
For those who incorporate the T into a dj set....

Do you prefer to use the T as an instrument by playing along with your dj set? Basically finger drumming or sequencing live.

Do you prepare beats in advance?

Do you prefer to create a playlist and press play to mix fully prepared tracks with your CDJ's?

My thoughts...
I want to use the T as a musical instrument. Infind it unnecessary to preprofrag a complete song and to just press play alongside with my CDJ's...I might as well record that song and play it off the CDJ.

I like the idea of preparing beats in advance since they can also be applied to a wider range of tracks, easily triggered, can offer 8bar loops with variation, no delay in sequencing. However programming presequence bass or leads is hit or miss since tonality needs to blend with currently playing tracks and (to me) needs to be a bit sparse.

On that last point... In practice the idea of a hybrid set should compliment the CDJ's playing out since the DJ has only 2 hands, needs to keep the pace and sonic dynamics of the songs currently playing while preparing for the next track. Meaning I dont want to have an unnecessary long loop playing without change since I still have to cue up the next tracks on the CDJ.

Anyway, these ate just my thoughts after putting into practice over the course of a few years. The Tempest is new to me and songsr it is great! I struggle with the idea of bringing unnecessary gear to a show just to press play however I may be missing something as I don't gig often.

To get an idea of my config check out my last recording of a 1 hout set. Throughout the set I am generally playing beats along with blended tracks sparseley throughout. It is hardly noticible if at all... Except at 45:45 where I actually have preprogrammed a number of sequences(beats) when I bring in various elements to compose a song while using the previous track as a siren. That siren sound was a 4 bar loop with heavy fx and filtering from my mixer. Note this was created before I owned the Tempest (Maschine Studio) but essentially I will create the same config using the Tempest/VirusTI2/Octatrack.

LucidSFX Live Set:
https://soundcloud.com/lucidsfx/the-pa-mix

What your thoughts on your live set config? How much gear do you prefer to bring with you? Do you focus on specific elements to compliment a mix?

I am looking forward to hearing you thoughts!!

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 09:19:33 AM by LucidSFX »
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

Re: Hybrid DJ Sets Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 12:18:52 PM »
How about playing the meat of the beats from the tempest and run parts of tracks from the CDJs as an accompaniment? That would seem to be the only way to conceptually justify taking the T with you, like you said....

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
Re: Hybrid DJ Sets Thoughts
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 03:46:49 PM »
Exactly. However I am ver interested in other people's workflow.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)