OSC Pitch as modulation source?

OSC Pitch as modulation source?
« on: January 27, 2022, 01:56:04 PM »
Hi!

I'm pretty new to this, so forgive me, if my question might be silly:

Is it possible to have one Oscillator's pitch as a modulation source?

What I try to do is the following: I want the OSC2-Level to depend on the pitch of OSC1, so while OSC1 gets higher, I want to "fade out'' OSC2.

I've managed to do something like that using "Note Num" as source, but that relies on the actual key triggered (pressed). Unfortunately "Note Num" does not work when OSC1 is "gliding" through several octaves. So this way the level of OSC2 is adjusted according to the end-note pressed, not during the glide itself. Is there a way to accomplish this?

Re: OSC Pitch as modulation source?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 08:04:33 PM »
Osc 1, 2, and 3 are mod sources

Route Osc 1 to Osc 2 Level?

edit: Actually that won’t work because it’s sort of an AM effect.

What is making Osc 1 glide? Just the Glide function or something else?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 09:17:20 PM by guyaguy »

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 12:10:45 AM »
Hey guyaguy, thanks for your answer!

Basicalliy yes. Although there's also some LFO-modulation going on, I just press "hold" and then a key on the keyboard. Then, after pressing another key several octaves away, the glide starts.

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 08:26:16 AM »
Hey guyaguy, thanks for your answer!

Basicalliy yes. Although there's also some LFO-modulation going on, I just press "hold" and then a key on the keyboard. Then, after pressing another key several octaves away, the glide starts.
Got it. Yeah I don’t think there’s a way to tap into all the summer voltage that Osc 1 is getting.

So you might want to try using the sequencer to perform the glide. Set it up to glide up to the pitch you want with Slew on. Then in the Mod matrix route that sequence track as source to Osc 2 Level—or just use another Seq track. That may change how you had planned on playing the part but it should get you the result you want.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 07:08:10 PM »

I've started playing with FM on my new Pro 3.
  I've found it hard to keep in tune so far. Was that one of the patents on the old DX fm synthesis?  ...How to keep it in tune with the notes played? So, so far I have to shift and scale the modifying oscillator(s).   Anyway...

I also noticed that, in a way, this is a 6 operator FM synth!?! - The LFOs can also modulate the oscillators. - Though the LFOs only go "part way" up into audio range.
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 08:12:40 PM »

I've started playing with FM on my new Pro 3.
  I've found it hard to keep in tune so far. Was that one of the patents on the old DX fm synthesis?  ...How to keep it in tune with the notes played? So, so far I have to shift and scale the modifying oscillator(s).   Anyway...

I also noticed that, in a way, this is a 6 operator FM synth!?! - The LFOs can also modulate the oscillators. - Though the LFOs only go "part way" up into audio range.
The FM on the Pro-3 is exponential and using a VCO as carrier, modulator, or both. So it’s never going to have the tuning stability of a DX using digital oscillators and through zero FM. Sequential hinted at possibly implementing linear but I wouldn’t bank on it.

So to keep your oscillators in tune you’ll have to keep FM amount low. 

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 10:09:56 PM »

Or...  You can FModulate the Shape or ShapeMod and not fall out of tune.
[Or AM modulate the Level of an OSC or an Envelope and get AM-mod frequencies!]
...But modding just the "shape", you get like a TRILLION new waveforms!
(Holy smokes, I'm in love with a synthesizer!)

Osc 2   >   +/-##   >   Osc 1 Shape / ShapeMod
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 10:19:38 PM by Elric »
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 11:07:34 PM »
>>  Sequential hinted at possibly implementing linear but I wouldn’t bank on it.

If that would keep the pitches locked to key-notes, that would almost create a new synth within this synth.

(I do have a TX81z, so I "get it" [FM] in a very basic way. But/so, would "linear" make the notes conform to the key-notes/pitches?)

If so, they really should "Bank on it."
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 11:11:27 PM by Elric »

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2022, 11:48:56 PM »

Or...  You can FModulate the Shape or ShapeMod and not fall out of tune.
[Or AM modulate the Level of an OSC or an Envelope and get AM-mod frequencies!]
...But modding just the "shape", you get like a TRILLION new waveforms!
(Holy smokes, I'm in love with a synthesizer!)

Osc 2   >   +/-##   >   Osc 1 Shape / ShapeMod
Yep, lots of tonal options with various destinations. But FM bell type tones are limited with the expo FM. Osc to reverb time is one of my favorites.