Prophet '08 Music

Re: Prophet '08 Music
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2015, 02:10:37 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to listen and post! I've never actually listened to Skinny Puppy but they've been on my "list" for a long time. Where's a good place to start?

Not relevant for this thread but I've PM:ed you with tips!
Prophet '08 owner since 2015

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2015, 08:19:56 AM »
Greetings. This is my first post. I bought my Prophet '08 about five weeks ago and love it.

As I had read before getting it, I haven't found many of the presets to be very useful in their original forms, but I've already edited or written quite a few that I'm now very happy with. Although I've been playing synthesizers since the '80's, including a MiniMoog, it's been a long time since I've done real synthesizer programming... and perhaps I never really was that great at it. I've been watching tutorials on programming and still have a lot to learn. I want to mention that I was very pleased to find the tutorial by Strange Quark Star. Although it's not a sound that I was familiar with, it gives a lot of insight into programming the '08. I would really love to see more of these tutorials, perhaps one of your Vangelis sounds like your Blade Runner video? I'm also a fan of Sacred Synthesis and have watched all of your videos too. I'd love to see some tutorials on how you get your wonderful sounds.

Regards,
-Jason

Strange Quark Star
[/quote]

Tutorial: Laser Harp on Prophet '08!

A step-by-step video tutorial. Have fun!
[/quote]

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2015, 08:31:21 AM »
Thanks, Jason.  I don't intend in the near future to produce any programming demonstrations.  Strange Quark Star has me on that, and I agree, he's done an excellent and a clever job.  But I do usually include sound design notes below with each piece of music.

« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2015, 08:32:56 AM »
Greetings. This is my first post. I bought my Prophet '08 about five weeks ago and love it.
Welcome! Have fun  ;)

I want to mention that I was very pleased to find the tutorial by Strange Quark Star. Although it's not a sound that I was familiar with, it gives a lot of insight into programming the '08. I would really love to see more of these tutorials, perhaps one of your Vangelis sounds like your Blade Runner video?
Thank you! I actually have a patch on my Prophet '08 that tries to emulate the Blade Runner Blues lead sound. It's also one of the first patches I made and I have been refining it from time to time over the years, though it still does not sound quite right (I guess it never will). Still, I wanted to do a tutorial in the style of the other one, but need a bit more practice and preparation for that since I don't want to do a hack job on one of the dearest pieces of music/synthesis to me.
Prophet '08 № 01369
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7, CP, CS | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Casio VL-Tone

YT
SC

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2015, 09:17:25 AM »
Thanks for your quick responses.

Sacred Synthesis, I have enjoyed reading your notes on your sounds. I've wondered if there is a way to employ your panning methods to a live sound, and yet I only have a single Prophet. I've considered picking up a Tetra as a way of increasing polyphony, but I don't think that will help in getting the effects that you are so good at. I do use reverb and/or delay, which of course helps a lot. Your videos are among the best advertisements for Prophets '08's that I have found.

Strange Quark Star, I would imagine that getting the Vangelis Blade Runner Sound will always be a work in progress... even if you had a CS-80! But from the very first '08 Wagnerian sound, I knew that the '08 would do a much better job with it than most keyboards. I would encourage you to share what you have. Although I didn't use the Prophet, I have a cover "live" version of Five Circles that perhaps I will share. I've thought about re-recording it now with the Prophet. I'm also planning to attempt to work on a patch for Keith Emerson's GX1, which I think the Prophet could do well.

Best regards,
-Jason

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2015, 11:03:58 AM »
The limitations of using a single Prophet '08, or a P'08 with a Tetra, are obvious.  The only down side of the sounds I've created is that they require a pretty penny.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 08:17:10 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sylvain alias Leo

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2016, 06:34:10 AM »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2016, 12:32:26 PM »

« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2016, 03:11:31 PM »
Hi*

Prophet Does Dub
Prophet 08 with a wee bit of FX

https://soundcloud.com/ewangibb/dub1

« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2016, 12:05:05 PM »
Here are the first two singles from our new EP that we used the prophet on.

https://soundcloud.com/iusandwe/trigger-1

https://soundcloud.com/iusandwe/fences-1

J

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2016, 10:41:54 PM »

« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2016, 12:40:13 PM »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2016, 02:21:38 PM »
Thanks!

Shaw

« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2016, 03:41:12 PM »
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2016, 06:44:44 PM »

Shaw

« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2016, 06:47:32 PM »
2 1/2...so far.   8)
My obvious next question... Why not 2 and a P6 module, or some other variance -- are you doing live performances making use of all 24(?) voices?
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2016, 07:01:59 PM »
Shaw -

Of everything I've looked at and listened to, the Prophet '08 is still my preference, and I don't see any reason for getting another instrument when my current one is doing exactly what I need.  And yet, as I expand it, it does even more.  So, my approach with the P'08 is to use one or two module versions controlled by one keyboard version.  But I don't ever poly chain them together to increase the voice count.  Eight voices is just enough for me.  Rather, I MIDI them together, so as to create an immense stereo multi-timbral eight-voice instrument.  I'm not into using many medium-sized instruments, but just two or three large-scale instruments.  I realize this seems bizarre to some folks, bit it's what best serves my style of music. 

The sounds I regularly use just couldn't be produced by a single Prophet '08, nor by any other synthesizer I'm aware of.  Some folks complain that the P'08 is thin-sounding, but this only allows it to be multiplied without sounding overwhelmingly thick and clumsy.  I don't think you could as effectively do this, for example, with a Memory Moog, whereas the P'08 is just perfect for this sort of layering.

That said, I probably will, sooner or later, add a VCO instrument - perhaps a Prophet 6 or a Moog if it seems certain it will provide a more raw analog character.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 07:32:42 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Shaw

« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2016, 07:36:43 PM »
Shaw -

Of everything I've looked at and listened to, the Prophet '08 is still my preference, and I don't see any reason for getting another instrument when my current one is doing exactly what I need.  And yet, as I expand it, it does even more.  So, my approach with the P'08 is to use one or two module versions controlled by one keyboard version.  But I don't ever poly chain them together to increase the voice count.  Eight voices is just enough for me.  Rather, I MIDI them together, so as to create an immense stereo multi-timbral eight-voice instrument.  I'm not into using many medium-sized instruments, but just two or three large-scale instruments.  I realize this seems bizarre to some folks, bit it's what best serves my style of music. 

The sounds I regularly use just couldn't be produced by a single Prophet '08, nor by any other synthesizer I'm aware of.  Some folks complain that the P'08 is thin-sounding, but this only allows it to be multiplied without sounding overwhelmingly thick and clumsy.  I don't think you could as effectively do this, for example, with a Memory Moog, whereas the P'08 is just perfect for this sort of layering.

That said, I probably will, sooner or later, add a VCO instrument - perhaps a Prophet 6 or a Moog if it seems certain it will provide a more raw analog character.

I totally get it.  I may get a P6 or OB6 module for the same reason.  Or a P08 module for that matter.
I'll probably get a P08 just for variety.  Or Maybe an old Matrix 1000.  I always loved that unit's sounds.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2016, 07:40:37 PM »
They're all fabulous instruments.  I'd love to try a Prophet 6, but I'd probably couple the keyboard with a module in the usual way.  The same would be true with a Prophet 12.  Because it's so expensive to do this, I have to choose my instruments carefully.    But the P6 is definitely a superb instrument that has my interest.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 07:46:53 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Shaw

« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2016, 08:30:16 PM »
They're all fabulous instruments.  I'd love to try a Prophet 6, but I'd probably couple the keyboard with a module in the usual way.  The same would be true with a Prophet 12.  Because it's so expensive to do this, I have to choose my instruments carefully.    But the P6 is definitely a superb instrument that has my interest.
Fortunately, I've run out of space for all but desktop units.   I combined two three-tier stands to make A 5-tier Stand, but the 5th tier is really only big enough to accommodate a desktop unit or two.