Prophet '08 Music

Re: Prophet '08 Music
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2015, 02:26:14 AM »
The first thing that hit me was that my hands really missed the extra octave on the P6. That came as a surprise for me but then I also realized playing patches with a long releases resulted in note stealing. I usually play a chord with my right hand and one or two base notes with my left hand. That is very noticable on the P6 so the lack of those two voices from the P8 really matters to my style of playing. I couldn't find any split/stack setting on the P6 but that would be even worse + I really like the stack/split function on the P8. Then I wanted to get into the creation of sounds and I've seen Dave in NAMM videos talking about "no menu diving" so I expected this to be very easy. On the P8 I feel the layout of knobs is extremely intuitive but the P6 had these "alternative" buttons instead that didn't resonate well with me. I just didn't get a grasp of where to start at all and felt a bit "Meh".
The P6 is clearly deeper/bassier sounding and I asume it is because of the VCOs but I honestly feel the P8 is a better fit for me as a package. I can create patches with it pretty fast but and it also invites me to perform with it, such an important combo.

You've summed up beautifully my own feelings towards the P6. I'm not a natural keyboard player. I'm untutored and it's my third (or even fourth) instrument, but even I feel the restriction of the missing octave. I also like sounds with long releases and the note stealing is something I hit upon all the time with it, whereas it's rarely a significant issue for me on the P08. I guess it is our own styles of playing that make it so.

I love the filter on the P6 but miss the modulation enormously.  Despite having VCOs, poly-mod and improved slop I struggle to make it sound as unstable or alive as my P08. I have to use the (admittedly pretty good) inbuilt phaser and chorus effects to get much movement into the sound. All it takes is a little delay and/or reverb to make the P08 sing.

The P6 is clearly a very good synth with a lovely basic tone but anyone saying that it makes the P08 redundant or worthless has no idea what they are on about.  They're so different.

BTW, loving everyone's contributions to this thread.  I'm in awe of how skilled you all are as musicians. :)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2015, 09:54:27 AM »
Those were more excellent thoughts on the discussion.  Thanks, Fuseball.  I'm all ears right now regarding the topic.

I'm up and down over the Prophet 6, although the existence of a module version is a new mark in its favor.  For me, the P6 would primarily be a left hand instrument for chords or a right hand part-time monophonic instrument.  Although it would replace a four-voice Poly Evolver Keyboard I now have for sale, it would be an enhancement to my set up - as is the second PEK that it would replace; it wouldn't be a fundamental.  But in light of all the comments I've read and the videos I've watched, the P6 does seem to offer a rare bona fide analog sound that really can't be found outside the vintage market, and this is primarily the reason I would choose one - for that coveted richness and warmth.  I would also use its sawtooth lead patch a great deal, in the presumption that it's among the very best available.  (My first choice for this sound would have been the Korg Arp Odyssey, but that's another mini keys story.) 

I couldn't agree more, though, with the concerns and limitations that Fuseball and Inetzel have mentioned.  The fact is, while I can obviously (painfully) fathom replacing one PEK with a P6, I couldn't imagine replacing a Prophet 08 with one.  The latter has become for me nearly the perfect synthesizer.  If Dave would create a P08 with four oscillators, ten voices, a high pass filter, longer envelope times, and a few onboard effects, then I would positively have the perfect synthesizer.  Which means, the P08 is already quite close. 

When I decided to put my four-voice Poly Evolver Keyboard up for sale (I still have another PEK and a PER), I decided to test my convictions.  So, I put away the Prophet '08s and set up only the Evolvers.  For about a month now, I've been playing an all-Evolver set up and making all-Evolver recordings.  This is all just to make sure I'm ready to let go of a Poly Evolver Keyboard.  Hence, my YouTube videos are presently all-Evolver.  In doing so, I've come both to like and dislike the Poly Evolver more than before.  The worst of it has been that I don't have the Prophet 08s to compensate for the Evolver's weaknesses.  The other night, I needed something so simple as a string patch for a high sustained note - something a Prophet 08 could have provided quite well.  Don't even try this with an Evolver.  It requires four oscillators, and in the upper range the digital aliasing is just terrible.  It will work only if the mix covers the discordant noise.  As I was working I actually thought, "This instrument completely fails at this," - something I've never thought while using the Prophet 08.  As a result, I abandoned the musical idea altogether and recorded, instead, a night of digital pad improvisations.  Rather than pursue a musical idea, I had to follow a musical instrument.  For better or worse, this is not how I like to work.

So, the P08 for me is a rock-solid staple instrument.  It's flexible enough, although not extremely so.  Contrary to this, the Poly Evolver Keyboard is a special interest type instrument.  It does some unique things exceptionally well.  It's digital pads are so beautiful.  But it's also surprisingly limited, and it fails at some very basic synthesizer duties.  One has to be prudent and realistic when using one.

My point here is that the Prophet 6 probably should be considered to be a PEK of another color.  For many of us, it could not serve as a base instrument; it lacks the size and flexibility in basic features, such as modulation and voice count.  Its limitations have to be realistically considered, but so should its many musical strengths, first and foremost of which is its gorgeous analog tone.  Hence, it's an enhancement to an already stable set up.  For me, in no way could it replace a Prophet 08.  It could compliment one, though; and as an analog-sound enthusiast, I would in no way consider this to be a redundancy, but rather, a bit of variety in the analog sound domain. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 08:05:41 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2015, 04:28:09 PM »
I agree as well.

Although my wife doesn't understand it  ::), the P08/P6 combo works perfectly for me.   8)

Now if I could get my Pro-One serviced I'd really be straight.  Of course I was drooling over 2 Prophet T8's I saw on ebay yesterday...
Sequential P6; SCI Pro-One; Moog Minimoog Model D

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2015, 04:43:35 PM »
That's a good and valid comparison of the P6 and PEK's strengths and weaknesses.  I can see how the P6 could work wonderfully for you as a right-hand instrument.  The tone from it is remarkable and it suits lead sounds better than anything else I have played.  The unison mode, with its selectable number of voices, panning and detune make it easy to construct beautiful soaring leads, particularly with the combination of sawtooth and that filter. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the instrument's sound at all.  It makes a formidable mono-synth.

For some reason I expected the P6 to excel at pads (probably because I love the sound of many made with the P5) but, in my opinion, pads are the thing it's weakest at and where I feel the P08 really comes into its own.  If I try to program the P6 with the same mindset that I have with the P08, I get frustrated by the limitations.  When I stop thinking so much about what I'm doing and just 'play' the controls then I get great sounds.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2015, 08:15:44 PM »
I didn't mean to imply I would use the Prophet 6 entirely as a monophonic instrument; I would use it as both a mono and a poly synth.  I certainly wouldn't pay such a price merely for a mono synth, nor replace a PEK with something so limited.  The P6 would have to be very capable in the polyphonic department as well.  My main concern there is with the limited modulation, since my constant practice is to combine pulse width modulation, subtle filter sweeps, and vibrato all at the same time and at different rates and depths.  I guess we've been spoiled by the Prophet '08!  Nothing less can now satisfy.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:53:05 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2015, 12:06:15 AM »
I didn't mean to imply I would use the Prophet 6 entirely as a monophonic instrument; I would use it as both a mono and a poly synth.  I certainly wouldn't pay such a price merely for a mono synth, nor replace a PEK with something so limited.  The P6 would have to be very capable in the polyphonic department.  My main concern there is with the limited modulation, since my constant practice is to combine pulse width modulation, subtle filter sweeps, and vibrato all at the same time and at different rates and depths.  I guess we've been spoiled by the Prophet '08!  Nothing less can now satisfy.
Absolutely. It has to work as both mono and poly synth for myself also. The mono side of things was an unexpected bonus for me and few people have sung it's praises for the unison implementation. It's still first and foremost a poly though.

All the modulations you mention are the things I have to let go of, the P08 methods, when programming sounds on the P6. My P08 sounds are full of very subtle modulations and going back to just a single LFO has been quite a creative challenge. I find the P08 quite mathematical in that regard. I know what each modulation will do and program it accordingly. The P6 is less predictable in that fixed modulation (LFO & envelopes) and poly-mod combinations throw up some unexpected results. Sometimes beautiful and inspiring but also sometimes a bit of a mess. :D

Of course, it might just be that I'm nowhere near as familiar with the P6 yet and that programming knowledge will come with time.

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2015, 07:56:37 AM »
Nice blend of sound SQS .   I always enjoy hearing the classical players showcase that element of synthesis.

Thank you! I'll do my best to record more of these soon.
Prophet '08 № 01369
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7, CP, CS | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Casio VL-Tone

YT
SC

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2015, 01:07:40 PM »
Just sharing a little impromptu I've made last weekend.
Just using my P08 and a reverb pedal (EHX Cathedral), with an ambient feel to the whole thing.
https://youtu.be/Mc0EVn9KMBc

I hope you enjoy it! Cheers!
Moog Minimoog Voyager, Little Phatty and Sub Phatty| MI Ambika | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2015, 01:44:57 PM »
Nice meditative piece, Igor.

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2015, 07:30:36 PM »
As a former Prophet '08 owner and hopefully a future Prophet-6 owner, I think it basically all comes down to features vs. sound - and I don't mean that in a simplistic way. You can't replace the quantity of features of the Prophet '08 with a Prophet-6. If you want many modulation options, the Prophet-6 is not for you. If you want beefier and more direct oscillators (VCOs vs. DCOs makes a difference here) and what they call "instant gratification," it's the Prophet-6. And although the latter is far less complex in terms of modulation paths, I'm still amazed by the plethora of sounds the factory patches alone consist of (whether they are to my taste or not).
Don't get me wrong, I like the sound of both and mainly sacrificed my Prophet '08 in favor of a Prophet-6 because of purely practical (i.e. financial) reasons. If I could have afforded it to keep the '08 at the same time, I would have done so. On the other hand it was clear to me from the very first moment I laid my hands on the Prophet-6 that I eventually have to get one. I don't perceive the switch from the '08 to the 6 as an upgrade though. It's not that I would say the Prophet-6 is more of a Prophet than the '08. It's just that I got my modulation-heavy needs already covered with the Evolver and the Pro 2. And to me the Prophet-6 is a nice counterpart to these two - sound-wise and, even more so, programming-wise. With some tweaking you can still make it sound like a crazy modular synth or whatsoever. The choice would be a lot tougher if I had to choose between the '08 and the 6 as the only synth I could own. In that case the '08 would probably a wiser choice.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2015, 08:54:28 PM »
I've been thinking a lot about the Prophet '08 versus the Prophet 6 and trying to come up with a realistic and entirely practical judgment.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about the following, since I don't yet own a Prophet 6. 

Two things strike me as difficulties on the Prophet 6.  For those of us whose hands (and feet) are nearly always busy playing their own musical parts, first, the means of changing programs is impractical.  Sure, it's not a problem to change to another sound while playing if that sound is in the same bank.  But changing to a sound in a different bank requires two hands - something that is simply impossible during a performance, unless I can grow a third arm.  Second, since the modulation wheel is set to permanently control the LFO depth, adding delayed vibrato to a note - again - requires a second hand.  The Prophet '08 has that very handy third envelope that can be used to create a nice exacting delayed vibrato.  This is ideal for a person who is the sole performer, since the program itself can be designed to do the work of two hands. 

Are there any alternatives or tricks for getting around these two difficulties? 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 11:19:36 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2015, 10:08:03 PM »
Well, it's not that the preset change on a Prophet '08 is a "one click affair" either as long as not all the sounds you need are placed next to each other. So you need some time there too. - Hence the Playlist feature on the Prophet-12 and Pro 2. But yeah, if you are not only dialing in lower numbers, you either need two hands or at least one more step on the Prophet-6. You can add vibrato though via Aftertouch if you set it to LFO AMT. No extra hand needed.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2015, 11:28:38 PM »
That's true - the Prophet '08 has a less than ideal means for changing programs.  (I've always preferred the Poly Evolver's keypad.)  But you can still change it with one hand, and if you're quick, you can scroll from #1 to #127 in only a few seconds while you're still playing.  So, it's a tad awkward, but still manageable.

As for the delayed vibrato - that's true, after touch is available on the Prophet 6.  I'm glad you reminded me of that, because I forgot about it.  I've stopped studying the instrument and only listen to videos of it now.  But it is difficult, while you're playing with the other hand (and both feet), to make a perfectly smooth and evenly gradual delayed vibrato using after touch.  That's what I've found, anyway, and it's the reason I generally never use it.  How is the after touch on the Prophet 6?  On the Poly Evolver Keyboard it's quite abrupt; it's much smoother on the Prophet '08.  On the P6, is it easy to make a very smooth introduction of modulation?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 09:36:39 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2015, 04:34:22 AM »
Nice meditative piece, Igor.
Thank you! :)

Off-topic: I don't understand why this forum is so quiet. It's great to have an official forum!
Moog Minimoog Voyager, Little Phatty and Sub Phatty| MI Ambika | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2015, 09:20:38 AM »

Off-topic: I don't understand why this forum is so quiet. It's great to have an official forum!
[/quote]

Indeed very quiet.  But I don't think the DSI owners were expecting to look here for another forum.   Obvious as it probably should have been- I didn't look here either.  It wasn't till forum member Strange Quark Star tipped me off this forum had started.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 09:22:23 AM by Soundquest »
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2015, 09:31:56 AM »
And I, in turn was directed here by Sacred Synthesis  ;)

Perhaps DSI should send out an email to registered users (Ⅰ didn't get anything), but then the influx of new people may be *too* much for this forum? I don't know.
Prophet '08 № 01369
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7, CP, CS | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Casio VL-Tone

YT
SC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2015, 11:07:07 AM »
Don't worry, guys.  Things are going according to plan.  DSI intended to inform only a small number of people about this forum so as to have a chance to work out any problems, as we've seen them do.  Soon they'll be advertising the forum in a broader way and we'll see many more people joining.  We're only at 174 members right now.  With a larger number of members and who knows what at winter NAMM, I expect things will liven up here.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 02:27:10 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2015, 05:12:11 PM »
Hey guys

Here's a track I made with my Pro 2 modulating my Prophet 08 via the CV input. The bass is the Pro 2 but everything else is the P08. This was recorded in one big swirling and sprawling pass with a touch of verb on the P08.  :)

https://soundcloud.com/trevorrefixmervyn/wired-tired-inspired

https://textureandlight.ca (electronic music from inner space)

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2015, 07:14:42 AM »
Hey guys

Here's a track I made with my Pro 2 modulating my Prophet 08 via the CV input. The bass is the Pro 2 but everything else is the P08. This was recorded in one big swirling and sprawling pass with a touch of verb on the P08.  :)

https://soundcloud.com/trevorrefixmervyn/wired-tired-inspired

Nice! I really dig the sounds, reminds me of Skinny Puppy and that's always a good feeling :)
Prophet '08 owner since 2015

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2015, 09:22:49 PM »

Nice! I really dig the sounds, reminds me of Skinny Puppy and that's always a good feeling :)

Thanks for taking the time to listen and post! I've never actually listened to Skinny Puppy but they've been on my "list" for a long time. Where's a good place to start?
https://textureandlight.ca (electronic music from inner space)