Prophet '08 Music

Re: Prophet '08 Music
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 03:27:48 PM »
Love the variations of sound you can get from the P'08. There is always something that will fit in the production after some "knobbing" around so here's my multi-track synth pop contribution specially made for this forum today.
100% of the source sounds are from the P'08. I made all the patches myself except for the sci-fi:ish sound and snare drum, those I found in a sysex bank dump online.

https://soundcloud.com/lnetzel/dsi-prophet-08-multi-track-demo

You will hear synth basses, self resonating stuff, sid/chip, drums, pads, effects, fm (using audio mod) etc.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 12:08:37 AM by lnetzel »
Prophet '08 owner since 2015

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2015, 06:28:11 PM »
I'm a bit mindblown that all examples of this $2k synth are basically just pads and A/B comparison to vintage gear on YouTube. I love all the Secret Synthesis pieces but I might have to record something to expose the flexibility of the P8 :)

I actually agree with you.  The Prophet '08 is a very flexible instrument and can do far more than just pads, and I'd love to hear others stretching its powers.  But considering that YouTube has countless videos of synthesizers being tweaked ad infinitum, making every imaginable sound and effect, I thought that producing pure music of a classical type, breathing with a somewhat free-rhythm, rather than bound to the strict tempos of drum machines, would be a refreshing change.  Another objective was to keep the recordings clear of all other sounds other than the few I was using, so that people could get a clean and exacting listen to the tone of the instrument; this is one of the reasons the pieces are on the lengthy side and tend to develop the sound a bit, at least by opening the filter.  Related to this, I also deliberately avoided multi-tracking, producing instead all the music in live performances.  And as a personal project, I wanted to see if the Prophet '08 could produce digital-like pads, and thus, cover more than just the usual analog territory.  I made with the Prophet '08 the sort of synthesizer music I wanted to hear, but couldn't find elsewhere.  And I've had no interest in vintage imitation or emulation; God knows a retro-ish reproduction of the 70's/80's is the last thing that interests me. 

By no means did I intend my recordings to be definitive sound demonstrations of the Prophet '08; sonic variety or complexity was never my intent, but only traditional musicality.  My interest was never to impress people with sound design, but purely to provide - dare I use the words - beautiful music made with an instrument that is so often used to make ugly noise.  I realize those last two words could bring a barrage of criticism, but I'm obviously expressing an opinion and explaining my reasonings.

Although I do spend some time designing non-musical sounds on the Prophet '08, it's more as a programming exercise that I don't bother to record, since they would only add to what is already a mountain of online material. 

And by the way, for those who remember, my YouTube channel grew directly from a rather heated forum thread called, "Quality Musical Demonstrations, Please!".  What I had asked of DSI, I decided to try to do myself.

So, feel free to contribute your own material on the Prophet '08 and post it here.

Here is a YouTube link to a talented guy who does lots of sounds and effects with the Prophet '08:

https://www.youtube.com/user/xyloxophonic/videos
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:58:00 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2015, 03:34:26 AM »
So, feel free to contribute your own material on the Prophet '08 and post it here.

Here is a YouTube link to a talented guy who does lots of sounds and effects with the Prophet '08:

https://www.youtube.com/user/xyloxophonic/videos

Well I did, in the post before you :)

Thank you, I think that user's channel and a few of your videos actually were the ones that made me get a P8 in the end. I was so tired of people going "it's not a Prophet 5 wioth VCO bla bla bla" and hearing brassy riffs from 80s hits that I was about to go for another synth for a while but finally heared some other sounds.
I've been a happy P8 owner now for 5 months and love exploring it. I did get to mess around with a P6 the other day and sure it's cool too but the P8 is a better fit for me me.

Another really nice video that pushed me over was this ambient jam by Mitch Wiseman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upew84_M70Y

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2015, 08:19:05 AM »
I did get to mess around with a P6 the other day and sure it's cool too but the P8 is a better fit for me me.

Now there's a surprising opinion.  Could you elaborate?

The video that most influenced me towards choosing a Prophet '08 was this one (almost from the first note):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oS6J2sToZM
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 08:25:49 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2015, 11:14:21 AM »

Now there's a surprising opinion.  Could you elaborate?

Sure, but these things are subjective so it's not the truth for everyone.

The first thing that hit me was that my hands really missed the extra octave on the P6. That came as a surprise for me but then I also realized playing patches with a long releases resulted in note stealing. I usually play a chord with my right hand and one or two base notes with my left hand. That is very noticable on the P6 so the lack of those two voices from the P8 really matters to my style of playing. I couldn't find any split/stack setting on the P6 but that would be even worse + I really like the stack/split function on the P8. Then I wanted to get into the creation of sounds and I've seen Dave in NAMM videos talking about "no menu diving" so I expected this to be very easy. On the P8 I feel the layout of knobs is extremely intuitive but the P6 had these "alternative" buttons instead that didn't resonate well with me. I just didn't get a grasp of where to start at all and felt a bit "Meh".
The P6 is clearly deeper/bassier sounding and I asume it is because of the VCOs but I honestly feel the P8 is a better fit for me as a package. I can create patches with it pretty fast but and it also invites me to perform with it, such an important combo.

Yes, the Inside Synthesis part 1 and 2 are great videos indeed.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2015, 11:18:07 AM »
Interesting points.  There's a lot to think about in your post.  Thanks. 

Because of its small size, I would always look upon the Prophet 6 as a left hand or right hand instrument.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 10:46:57 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2015, 11:38:22 AM »
Oh its would be easy to spoil you guys in a fraction of a second! Five octaves, eight to twelve voices, four lfos, four envelopes, 16 modulation slots, analog filter feedback, two sound layers and same analog electronics as Prophet-6. Even with newly designed DCO's it would surely beat Prophet '08 if it had the new filters.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2015, 11:51:24 AM »
You forgot keyboard split!  I would go for such an instrument in an instant.  If DSI could beat the Prophet '08, I'd happily make the switch and never look back.  I'm not affixed to the P08 in any weird way.  It's just the best instrument for now.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 11:54:52 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2015, 12:02:19 PM »
Well layers means having both stack and split. So not to worry! ;-) Could top it off with digital oscillators as well to approach that dry Evolver I have been fabulating about over the years. Prophet 12 and Pro2 are such machines just without the analog oscillators.

Look forward to hear other users Prophet '08 work!
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2015, 12:52:43 PM »
Oh its would be easy to spoil you guys in a fraction of a second! Five octaves, eight to twelve voices, four lfos, four envelopes, 16 modulation slots, analog filter feedback, two sound layers and same analog electronics as Prophet-6. Even with newly designed DCO's it would surely beat Prophet '08 if it had the new filters.

Just throw some FM in there with proper keytracking as well :)

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2015, 05:56:58 PM »
More a sound demo than "Prophet '08 Music": a demonstration of the Laser Harp patch [1], approximated on the P'08 with Lexicon reverberation as the only effect. This is one of my oldest patches, made not long after I started using the Prophet back in 2009, but I recorded it just now because I saw this "Laser Harp Challenge" on another forum.

Prophet '08 Sound Demo: Laser Harp

[1]originally a preset on the ELKA Synthex, used in Jean Michel Jarre's Rendez-vous.
Prophet '08 № 01369
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7, CP, CS | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Casio VL-Tone

YT
SC

dslsynth

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2015, 02:56:43 AM »
Wow thanks, Strange Quark Star! Its one of my favorite synthesizer sounds and it actually sounds fairly close! Did you use layers? Wonder if it can be recreated on a Mopho? Look forward to the recipe and/or sysex dump! ;)

He is an example with the original Elka Synthex along with some explanation of the sound structure:
https://youtu.be/zaYkgY5_toE
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 03:03:17 AM by dslsynth »
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2015, 03:09:46 AM »
Thank you! Yes, it's one of my favorites, too. Such a deep and faceted sound.

Mine does not use layers but achieves its intensity through 4-voice retuned unison, which could be difficult on the Mopho. Maybe the Mopho's feedback and a good external chorus can make up for it? I also did not use PWM as the original Synthex patch did, so perhaps you can come closer by more careful programming.

Anyway, I'm currently editing a video tutorial in the style of my old microKORG one, hopefully I'll be done today!
Prophet '08 № 01369
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7, CP, CS | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Casio VL-Tone

YT
SC

dslsynth

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2015, 03:34:40 AM »
Maybe the Mopho's feedback and a good external chorus can make up for it? I also did not use PWM as the original Synthex patch did, so perhaps you can come closer by more careful programming.

Way cool with the video. Have to say that my sound design skills are somewhat limited. When you say chorus I was immediately thinking Evolver. Its an interesting sound design challenge. Maybe we could get Razmo involved here? . o O ( me lazy )

Anyway here is the original culprit: https://youtu.be/1oXXmaH2Ghs
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 03:36:54 AM by dslsynth »
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2015, 07:15:26 PM »
Look forward to the recipe and/or sysex dump! ;)

Here you go:

Tutorial: Laser Harp on Prophet '08!

A step-by-step video tutorial. Have fun!
Prophet '08 № 01369

YT
SC

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2015, 11:36:28 AM »
Here you go:

Tutorial: Laser Harp on Prophet '08!

A step-by-step video tutorial. Have fun!

Awesome, this is the first tutorial on programming the P08 I've seen and it's detailed, nicely explained and well executed. A big thank you!

... should we start up a programming tutorial thread? (I know I will bring up the old FM topic soon if noone else does :))
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 11:38:06 AM by lnetzel »

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2015, 11:38:03 AM »
Awesome, this is the first tutorial on programming the P08 I've seen and it's detailed, nicely explained and well executed. A big thank you!

Thank you very much! I'm glad you liked it.
Prophet '08 № 01369

YT
SC

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2015, 08:38:46 PM »
Nice blend of sound SQS .   I always enjoy hearing the classical players showcase that element of synthesis. 
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2015, 06:18:48 AM »
I just heard these amazing examples of the P08 on this YT page.  This synth continues to amaze me!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQHAT10ONw_ikqNuyvJhjng
Sequential P6; SCI Pro-One; Moog Minimoog Model D

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2015, 10:13:54 AM »
I just heard these amazing examples of the P08 on this YT page.  This synth continues to amaze me!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQHAT10ONw_ikqNuyvJhjng

Thanks for posting, it's cool to see something in the nu disco genres from this. I've felt it can deliver basically EVERYTHING when it comes to sound sources for that genre and he shows it.