Prophet '08 Music

Sacred Synthesis

Prophet '08 Music
« on: October 06, 2015, 07:15:06 AM »
This thread provides recordings of music made at least primarily with the Prophet '08 for all to hear.

This is my YouTube channel Prophet '08 playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg-DxSDMk2c&list=PL-CSFEgC2tTydFcvrBITryRPZHg4tUde5

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 08:12:49 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

Re: Prophet '08 Music
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 07:31:04 AM »
@Sacred Synthesis: I find this one of your best recent Prophet 08 pieces being both very modern and very classical at the same time:
https://youtu.be/eoogGOR_B90

And this mixed Prophet 08 and Evolver piece have a very fine melancholic mood:
https://youtu.be/Ug9POscpln4
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 07:35:57 AM »
Thanks, DslSynth.  It's funny - I actually don't like the first piece.  I think it's a lousy improvisation, but I posted it anyway as a demonstration of a sound.  It's actually a difficult sound to work with.  Because of the release time, the eight voices are used up quickly, which results in very unappealing pops as notes are re-assigned.  This patch is a good argument for twelve or even sixteen voices.  It certainly made me think of the Prophet 12.

Regarding the second piece - it's so easy to achieve the melancholic.  Whereas, joy requires such an effort, as if you're fighting all the elements to get there.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 02:47:32 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 07:37:32 AM »
Maybe there are a little room for improvement but the sound and mood are just spot on. Keep it! And make a better one some day.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 08:43:57 AM »
This thread would have to include Marc Melia's unique all-Prophet '08 music:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp3BE5B2j-s3YxJmpryoK7A/videos
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 02:48:17 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 10:07:17 AM »
I'm back! It's nice to see an official forum for DSI.

Sharing an old piece made with the P08:
http://youtu.be/ePn2D2YJ9ow

Cheers!
Igor Cristo
Moog Minimoog Voyager, Little Phatty and Sub Phatty| MI Ambika | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 10:14:56 AM »
Welcome back, Igor!  I do like that piece of music, as you know.  Now keep up the installments.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 10:16:27 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 06:57:41 PM »
Count me in on this forum, too  ;)

Here's something I just recorded without worrying about perfection too much:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2PhRhkABlw

Chopin's Preludes Op. 28, № 4; I tried to come close to the sound of the FEZ soundtrack ("Continuum") without adding effects besides the old Lexicon reverb or editing.

Prophet '08 № 01369
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7, CP, CS | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Casio VL-Tone

YT
SC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 08:23:45 PM »
Excellent, SQS!  And a sound like a rich responsive harpsichord with a piano sustain pedal.

I'm listening to this over and over.  You should re-use this patch; it's spot-on.  I love the last chord - so beautifully grave.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 09:57:54 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 11:36:41 AM »
Thank you!

I guess this kind of sound is the one I tried building the most — piano-like with a touch of harpsichord, yet wholly synthetic sounding. This appears to be my best result yet, which is curious considering its relative simplicity as compared to my other attempts (not every LFO or modulation slot used).
Interestingly, the low polyphony of the Prophet '08 was just sufficient for this piece, which I did not expect. The reverb sure helps here, but does not overwhelm.

Now I need to get back to the real piano again, before the Prophet becomes all I play  ;D
Prophet '08 № 01369
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7, CP, CS | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Casio VL-Tone

YT
SC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 11:48:30 AM »
That's right.  Go do your scales and arpeggios without the help of an arpeggiator!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 11:59:00 AM »
A double congratulations, SQS.  DSI has posted your video on their social media.  Hopefully Matrixsynth will pick you up as well. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 12:00:52 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 12:13:04 PM »
Wow! And here I was wondering where the hundreds of views were coming from…
I'm honored  ;D
Prophet '08 № 01369

YT
SC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 12:18:47 PM »
And watch your subscribers increase, too.  Now that they know of you, many will continue visiting your page.  The pressure's on!

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2015, 12:25:39 PM »
What's maddening is that this is the one video into which I put the least effort in making… Just two takes, no real lighting setup and I'm even wearing my sweater instead of something approriate.

Not to mention that I recorded this rather spontaneously (the idea came with this thread) and before I was really "done" with that song (notice the clumsiness).

Still happy, though; thanks DSI!  8)
Prophet '08 № 01369

YT
SC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2015, 12:35:56 PM »
It doesn't look or sound at all thrown-together.  The piece is refreshingly simple, though not simplistic, and it has a natural rubato that seems intentional. 

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2015, 12:39:39 PM »
[…]and it has a natural rubato that seems intentional.
;D  ;D  ;D
Yes, it's all intentional, but I'm not fully agreeing with all these intentions yet, which is what I mean by being done with a song. I'm not yet set on one interpretation of this piece and still play it differently, trying out things.

EDIT
To sum it up: my piano teacher would kill me if she heard it  ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 12:43:07 PM by Strange Quark Star »
Prophet '08 № 01369

YT
SC

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2015, 06:56:46 AM »
I'm a bit mindblown that all examples of this $2k synth are basically just pads and A/B comparison to vintage gear on YouTube. I love all the Secret Synthesis pieces but I might have to record something to expose the flexibility of the P8 :)
Prophet '08 owner since 2015

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2015, 01:55:59 PM »
Welcome back, Igor!  I do like that piece of music, as you know.  Now keep up the installments.
Thank you! It's good to be back!!

I'm going to be back with some videos... and music! I just need to get my things back in place. Played with the 08 today, and had a very good time.

Count me in on this forum, too  ;)

Here's something I just recorded without worrying about perfection too much:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2PhRhkABlw

Chopin's Preludes Op. 28, № 4; I tried to come close to the sound of the FEZ soundtrack ("Continuum") without adding effects besides the old Lexicon reverb or editing.
I love Chopin! It's my favorite composer, and I do play a lot of his compositions, including the one I like the most, Ballade No 1. I've been playing classical piano since I was 12, and began my Chopin study with 18. It is very hard to get beyond where I was at 20-21... Stay playing the same way ever since - not enough time to study, work, play synths, you name it.

Congratulations on your performance! Beautiful sound, nice playing, amazing piece of music.

Cheers!
Moog Minimoog Voyager, Little Phatty and Sub Phatty| MI Ambika | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 02:42:18 PM »
I love Chopin! It's my favorite composer, and I do play a lot of his compositions, including the one I like the most, Ballade No 1. I've been playing classical piano since I was 12, and began my Chopin study with 18. It is very hard to get beyond where I was at 20-21... Stay playing the same way ever since - not enough time to study, work, play synths, you name it.

Congratulations on your performance! Beautiful sound, nice playing, amazing piece of music.

Cheers!

Thank you very much!
It's interesting how we share almost exactly the same piano/Chopin timeline, give or take a year  :D
I'm very grateful that I'm fortunate enough to still continue taking piano lessons, which really is a big deal. Right after I recorded the above piece, I tried another Chopin composition which I haven't touched in a year. Textual uncertainty aside, I found that I do play it better now than I did a year ago, which surprised me! So once I've practiced enough to eliminate mistakes I'll put it up here, with a similar sound (still working on the precise values, this one needs more bass).

Looking very much forward to seeing more videos from you  ;)
Prophet '08 № 01369

YT
SC