Prophet '08 Music

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Prophet '08 Music
« Reply #160 on: November 15, 2017, 08:54:48 AM »
Aw, I'm just having a little sarcastic fun, noting how quickly we turn against what once was considered so good, but now is considered so bad, due to the newest thing that is considered so great.  Regarding the Prophet '08, you'd think it was completely unrelated to the Prophet Rev2.  I find it amusing and a little exasperating to see the latter flattered at the expense of the former.  Can't they both be considered great?

A year ago or so, I was about to buy a brand new Prophet '08 Keyboard.  Since I've been so happy with the instrument, I intended to buy a new unit for the long haul, assuming that a physically new instrument with new components would last a bit longer than my oldest unit.  Then DSI announced the Prophet Rev2.  So, I simply switched from the idea of a new Prophet '08 to that of a new Rev2.  It's a matter of having some version of the Prophet '08 to last for years into the future. 

I could be perfectly content with either instrument because I love the sound and features.  And the strongest argument I have for getting a Rev2 is about getting a new Prophet '08, a Prophet '08+.  As the name says, a Prophet Rev2 is a revision of the Prophet '08. 

And by the way, if DSI does produce a Poly Evolver Rev2 of some sort, do you know what will be said about the old PEK?  Yup.  "What a lousy outdated bare-bones piece of vintage junk.  How did we ever endure it?"
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:23:00 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #161 on: November 15, 2017, 12:12:46 PM »
Doesn't this defy any common gear logic? I always thought that which is discontinued immediately becomes more desirable and is considered to sound better, warmer, and generally more pleasing.  ;D

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #162 on: November 15, 2017, 12:18:46 PM »
I guess the Prophet '08 and Poly Evolver Keyboard have to be long retired before they can attain a certain coveted status - maybe twenty years or so.  Then everybody will want one.   They'll be called in shorthand "Rev1's," if that makes any sense.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:41:35 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #163 on: November 15, 2017, 02:53:23 PM »
I guess the Prophet '08 and Poly Evolver Keyboard have to be long retired before they can attain a certain coveted status - maybe twenty years or so.  Then everybody will want one.   They'll be called in shorthand "Rev1's," if that makes any sense.  ;D

Hehe, makes a lot of sense. I think the Evolvers have already reached that status though. I've read a fair amount of posts here and elsewhere about its unique sound and that people would like to see it revisited.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #164 on: November 15, 2017, 05:51:19 PM »
Hehe, makes a lot of sense. I think the Evolvers have already reached that status though. I've read a fair amount of posts here and elsewhere about its unique sound and that people would like to see it revisited.

True.  It seems fame has come easily for the Evolver, but the Prophet '08 will have to take the long road.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:17:26 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2017, 01:15:37 PM »
Btw, Marc Melià finally released a whole album of "Music for Prophet":

https://lesdisquesdufestivalpermanent.bandcamp.com/album/marc-meli-music-for-prophet

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2017, 01:39:32 PM »
Great!  Thanks for the link.

I've been meaning to ask Marc if he intends to switch to the Rev2.  He does respond to messages sent through YouTube.

dsetto

« Reply #167 on: November 17, 2017, 12:18:37 AM »
I know I've had wonderful results with my Rev2 in " '08 mode". I.e., when all used features are found on an '08. I can't help think that a wall wart would entirely kill my vibe, though. :)

« Reply #168 on: November 17, 2017, 02:09:17 AM »
Moinmoin,

I will keep my P'08 for two reasons:
- violin players won't part with their Stradivari for a new instrument, either 8)
- Yes, there are restrictions, but those in front of the keys seem to be more relevant...

Only the opinion of

Martin

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2017, 02:04:35 PM »
Exactly!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #170 on: November 25, 2017, 02:58:47 PM »

« Reply #171 on: December 16, 2017, 08:41:31 AM »
My most recent piece is called, "Triumph of the Ancients" I just can't seem to let go of that Prophet '08 Horn!

https://youtu.be/Ml8YvUXilCE

It was made using the Prophet 08 and my Lexicon MPX 100 adding a touch of reverb. Using the Mod Matrix with source set as keynumber, destination as OSC1Freq, and depth set to 1, I detuned OSC1 in fine tuning to -30 so as to emulate the behavior of VCO's. I really like that detuned-floaty sound that comes in and out of phase for the initial horn, that slowly gets brighter and brighter until it goes overboard with the de-tuning. I think it sounds more similar to a bagpipe. The only time I used the Ultranova was in some bells I used in the arpeggio in the "chorus" of the song. The other bells were a Prophet 08 patch. I used my Roland MT-32 for the Timpani and the Snare. Recorded live into my MPC1000 and then normalized.

All clips featured are from archive.org. They are public domain films and are freely downloadable to whoever wants them. The original titles are, "Our Mr. Sun" and, "Why explore space?" Why indeed when there are so many problems on this planet? Perhaps it gives perspective.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 09:24:17 AM by wimichae »
Check my Youtube channel for incremental updates of my music!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC93WBj5aJ2oBTtUxItdVonw

« Reply #172 on: December 22, 2017, 01:42:28 PM »
Wimichae,  I agree with how that progressive detuning gives a bagpipe sound.  Long live PO8!

PS>interesting video too.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #173 on: January 03, 2018, 03:47:56 PM »
An improved version of a previous Christmas piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vbuQL0_kwU

« Reply #174 on: January 07, 2018, 07:30:03 AM »
Sacred Synthesis,

Again,  really like the the flute sounds you get out of the PO8   i.e. @2:30.    I know you organists can play multilayers at once.  Is that all really recorded "live" @4:00min?
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #175 on: January 07, 2018, 08:13:39 AM »
Yes, 100% live.  It's a challenge, because I have to change programs and add delay while the left hand is playing those arpeggios, and it's difficult to keep the notes perfectly even.  There isn't a single recording on my channel that is otherwise.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 12:57:16 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #176 on: January 29, 2018, 09:11:56 AM »
Again,  really like the the flute sounds you get out of the PO8   i.e. @2:30.   

Sacred Synthesis,
Any tips on that solo patch? It seems more hollow than a typical square wave.

This may be my favorite recording of yours. I love the patches, especially the lead tones.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #177 on: January 29, 2018, 09:59:15 AM »
Jason,

Thanks.  I appreciate your comments because I worked hard to get the sounds just right for that piece of music.  The square lead consists of the purest setting on the pulse width range, which, to my ears, is at "48".  At "50" I can hear partials starting to creep in.  Other than that, it's a simple patch using the usual Output B stereo arrangement on a single instrument, with a nice slow attack, a quick release, a fair amount of glide, and delayed vibrato.  The glide amount is set to suit the largest interval in the melody, so as to sound like a smooth grace note and not an overly synthetic pitch sweep.  The attack rate is set to allow for a gentle quality that still allows for the necessary phrasing of the tune.  And I can't say enough about a relaxed delayed vibrato; it's an essential component in giving a patch a natural nearly acoustic quality.  So, as usual, everything is meant to serve the music and not to impress anyone with programming prowess.

I attribute the quality of the patch also to the fact that the Prophet '08 has a fine square tone.

By the way, how are you liking your Rev2?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 01:10:05 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #178 on: January 29, 2018, 12:52:19 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I'll have to play with it again. Yes, the subtle vibrato makes a big difference. It sounds like you have the amount at 1 and then use the EG to lower it a bit more? I've listened to the track quite a few times- a great combination of things, especially with such a great melody.

I'm loving the Rev2! I've adjusted to the smaller screen and the new method for checking the original setting of a parameter. I still prefer those functions/features on the '08, but I don't really think about it much anymore. I've now sold both '08's and was planning to purchase a Rev2 module to go with my keyboard version. In the meantime, I have been using all four outputs to get the full stereo sound. It sounds great, but of course, when set up this way, I can't use the second layer/splits. So why haven't I bought the second Rev2 yet? I don't know. I'm also kind of thinking about a monophonic synthesizer. The clicking/pop seems to have been reduced in the Rev2 (compared to the '08), but it's still there. I think if Moog had a module version of the MiniMoog Model D, I would purchase one. The keyboard length of the D is too short, but I love the sound. I have to say the Artisan Trentasette looks very interesting.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #179 on: January 29, 2018, 08:40:15 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I'll have to play with it again. Yes, the subtle vibrato makes a big difference. It sounds like you have the amount at 1 and then use the EG to lower it a bit more? I've listened to the track quite a few times- a great combination of things, especially with such a great melody.

I often do that, but I didn't in this case.  The LFO Amount is set to "2" in the third envelope and the sustain is at full, so the vibrato actually isn't trimmed back when a note is held.