Pro-6 Default Patch 392

Pro-6 Default Patch 392
« on: January 20, 2022, 11:28:31 AM »
Hello DSI Board,

I've accidently written over patch 392 on my pro-6. Can anyone with soundtower or synthet  send me a screen shot of patch 392. I know banks 500-999 are supposed to be duplicate patches but I'm running pro-6 ver.167 and mine has different patch sounds on 500-999. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Pro-6 Default Patch 392
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 03:51:54 AM »
Robotic Heart.  Best. Sam in NJ USA

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 06:40:19 AM »
I’m confused. Are the default patches not hardwired into the P6 from 500 up? How can they be different?

Keith
Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.

LPF83

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 07:28:45 AM »
I’m confused. Are the default patches not hardwired into the P6 from 500 up? How can they be different?

Keith

Was wondering same
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 09:08:33 AM »
With a little Sysex hacking you can send custom User Banks to Factory slots on most (maybe all) Sequential instruments. 

You have to look in the user manual and determine which hex in the patch sysex is the one that targets bank number, and do a mass find and replace to switch that in the .syx, then send it to the synth.   

Here's an article:
https://www.presetpatch.com/article/Sequential-Dave-Smith-Prophet-Rev-2-Overwriting-Factory-Patches
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 09:12:54 AM by creativespiral »

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 09:20:25 AM »
I just double checked again and I have different sounds on my banks 500-999. Don't even sound close. I bough my pro-6 with ver 1.6.7 installed. I don't know what else would be different about it.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 11:11:11 AM »
fmartinez83,

I used the www.ctrlr.org utility and the Prophet 6 panel to dump .syx programs. It helps me to discern if I created a program from scratch or if I edited a factory program.  I also screen capture the panel to learn knob settings.

It works like a charm! It's open source too.

Install Ctrlr and the P6 panel on your computer and receive a few programs from the upper banks.

You can trace the source (j3po, 'omom', Luke Neptune, etc.)  based on the program names.

Sam

« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 11:18:04 AM by samriccijr »

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 04:20:01 PM »
https://forum.sequential.com/index.php?topic=3800.0

Transpose 0 or Hold Glide 0 copies programs 0-499 to slots 500-599. I did this (instead of temperature calibrate lol) at a gig once....

Sam

LPF83

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 04:34:46 PM »
With a little Sysex hacking you can send custom User Banks to Factory slots on most (maybe all) Sequential instruments. 

Interesting to be sure, but for me at least kind of begs the question why?....  Is there really a use case that would require someone to need more than 500 sounds in the timespan before they have a chance to load more banks into it?  And if so, wouldn't it be just as feasbile to have a laptop and librarian handy and be done with limit entirely?  But I may be overthinking it...I also wondered why not just download the factory patches from the support page (regarding the original thread topic) and load them to the synth, but then I thought to myself I may have trapped myself in a recursive, overthinking loop :)

500 user slots is a comfortable amount I think, personally.   On synths with more limited space, I would totally get it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 04:38:06 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 06:35:26 PM »
Interesting to be sure, but for me at least kind of begs the question why?....  Is there really a use case that would require someone to need more than 500 sounds in the timespan before they have a chance to load more banks into it?  And if so, wouldn't it be just as feasbile to have a laptop and librarian handy and be done with limit entirely?  But I may be overthinking it...I also wondered why not just download the factory patches from the support page (regarding the original thread topic) and load them to the synth, but then I thought to myself I may have trapped myself in a recursive, overthinking loop :)

500 user slots is a comfortable amount I think, personally.   On synths with more limited space, I would totally get it.

Yeah, for the great majority of users there's plenty of user slots -- But if you have an instrument for many years, and create lots of patches, space does fill up over time.   I have personally done this on my Rev 2 and Pro 3, as I've created ~400 patches for both, and was running out of space for new ones.   

With the Prophet 6, it has a simpler sound engine, with less potential variety for sound designs, so I don't expect I'll ever need to do so... but maybe.   

The other use case is if you wanted to take the factory presets, rename them with standard prefixes (BAS, STR, LED, BRS, PAD, etc) and then reorganize them so that similar style patches are grouped together, you could do that in User Banks, then copy them back over to the factory banks, just so you have all the factory sounds grouped with prefixes.

(It would be nice if Seq implemented some patch-type TAGS that could be applied to each patch, and have a way to search/sort patches by category.   When working in a session with other players or producing a part, its very helpful to have similar sounds grouped when you need to find that perfect bass or pluck or string sound quickly.)

Sound Sets:
Free Patches:

LPF83

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 06:57:04 PM »

Yeah, for the great majority of users there's plenty of user slots -- But if you have an instrument for many years, and create lots of patches, space does fill up over time.   I have personally done this on my Rev 2 and Pro 3, as I've created ~400 patches for both, and was running out of space for new ones.   

With the Prophet 6, it has a simpler sound engine, with less potential variety for sound designs, so I don't expect I'll ever need to do so... but maybe.   

The other use case is if you wanted to take the factory presets, rename them with standard prefixes (BAS, STR, LED, BRS, PAD, etc) and then reorganize them so that similar style patches are grouped together, you could do that in User Banks, then copy them back over to the factory banks, just so you have all the factory sounds grouped with prefixes.

(It would be nice if Seq implemented some patch-type TAGS that could be applied to each patch, and have a way to search/sort patches by category.   When working in a session with other players or producing a part, its very helpful to have similar sounds grouped when you need to find that perfect bass or pluck or string sound quickly.)

Have you tried the Codeknobs editor(s) yet?  They're quite good for creating sounds and tagging them quickly, a quick click on a button for bass/pad/lead etc or enter your own tag.  I guess that's part of what I was trying to wrap my head around before -- there's the hardware-to-librarian experience, which really opens up the floodgates in terms of number of patches and managing them, then there's the need to have a patch loaded locally on the synth and get-to-it-in-a-hurry experience, which I see as a somewhat different thing.  When a computer and editor/librarian is loaded, the limitations seem more translucent to me, while for a live-gig musician (which I've never been) I can see the importance of patch storage up to a point (perhaps less than 500 slots though).

I may be biased toward the way I do things.  I usually keep the factory patches in place, load someone elses patches into maybe half of however many user banks are available and modify those and load them into the remaining user space as a working area.  The Codeknobs editors are kind of nice as they have this notion of the Program Manager, which is kind of in-between computer storage, where as long as you use that as your central landing point, whatever you did is always there and you move it heretofore.

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 11:31:03 AM »
Have you tried the Codeknobs editor(s) yet?  They're quite good for creating sounds and tagging them quickly, a quick click on a button for bass/pad/lead etc or enter your own tag.  I guess that's part of what I was trying to wrap my head around before -- there's the hardware-to-librarian experience, which really opens up the floodgates in terms of number of patches and managing them, then there's the need to have a patch loaded locally on the synth and get-to-it-in-a-hurry experience, which I see as a somewhat different thing.  When a computer and editor/librarian is loaded, the limitations seem more translucent to me, while for a live-gig musician (which I've never been) I can see the importance of patch storage up to a point (perhaps less than 500 slots though).

I may be biased toward the way I do things.  I usually keep the factory patches in place, load someone elses patches into maybe half of however many user banks are available and modify those and load them into the remaining user space as a working area.  The Codeknobs editors are kind of nice as they have this notion of the Program Manager, which is kind of in-between computer storage, where as long as you use that as your central landing point, whatever you did is always there and you move it heretofore.

Yeah, I do use Codeknobs and/or Soundtower for all of my Seq synths.   That is definitely my preferred method of organizing patches/banks.  But when I have friends over for a songwriting / jam session (or if I'm doing live looping), I'm usually not connected with the computer. 

I just really like to have similar patches grouped by type on all my instruments...  so if I think to myself, "I need some synth string stabs here",  I can quickly jump to my STR patches and audition through several of those type of patches, find the one that works, and be on my way.

Sound Sets:
Free Patches:

LPF83

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2022, 01:46:48 PM »

Yeah, I do use Codeknobs and/or Soundtower for all of my Seq synths.   That is definitely my preferred method of organizing patches/banks.  But when I have friends over for a songwriting / jam session (or if I'm doing live looping), I'm usually not connected with the computer. 

I just really like to have similar patches grouped by type on all my instruments...  so if I think to myself, "I need some synth string stabs here",  I can quickly jump to my STR patches and audition through several of those type of patches, find the one that works, and be on my way.

I do too..  I have what I guess is kind of a simplistic way of grouping them together -- I sort them by category in their numeric slot order using the editor, and then send them to the user banks in that order...  so I can rapidly flip through sounds in the same category.  This is particularly helpful on synths like the Toraiz AS-1, which only has a knob to switch patches or banks (no way to jump directly to a patch number).  I've often wished all third party sound banks were arranged that way for the same reason.  All of this can be a bit time consuming, too, because of course CodeKnobs doesn't let you just drag and drop a sound to another position, multiselect and reorder things, etc.