Trigger voltage from RD-6 drum machine to Rev2

Trigger voltage from RD-6 drum machine to Rev2
« on: January 10, 2022, 02:18:12 PM »
I'm looking to trigger the Rev2 sequencer with a Behringer RD-6 using the built-in trigger out in the RD-6. I'm new to CV and want to make sure I don't damage my Rev2.

The Rev2 manual says "Audio signals used to drive the arpeggiator/sequencer should not exceed 5 volts peak-to-peak."
The RD-6 manual says "HT TRIGGER OUT – sends a +15 V pulse to trigger external devices."

If my calculations are correct, then 15>5. Is that the end of the line for me; will I blow up my synth if I connect a 3.5mm to 1/4" TRS from the drum machine to the synth? Is there a way to get around this? Would love to be able to use the drum machine to drive the sequencer.

maxter

Re: Trigger voltage from RD-6 drum machine to Rev2
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 09:55:30 AM »
If you are comfortable with soldering, you can easily make a Voltage Divider yourself. It's a super-simple circuit, with very few components. You could either make one fixed directly onto/inside a dedicated cable, or make a small box with an input jack, and an output jack, with the VD inside.
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 02:48:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply @maxter, that's not quite in my wheelhouse yet but am going to do some reading and see if that's something I want to learn. Is there not a standard voltage typically used for CV? I'm surprised that something like a DIY component would be necessary for something that seems like such a common procedure. Any other possible solutions?

maxter

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 06:14:00 AM »
Well, there seem to be standardS when it comes to CV voltages, but there are a couple. I don't know if there are any particular products that do the job of converting between the different standards, or what they might cost. I don't use CV much. The parts needed for a voltage divider are cheap though, no more than $5 at most including the 2 jacks.

Maybe there's some electonics repair shop or something where you live? I guess TV- and VCR- repair shops are hard to find these days... but anyone with basic electronic skills and tools can make the voltage divider you need, so odds are good you'll find someone.

maxter

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 04:55:09 PM »
Just thought of another solution... Please try to see IF the AUDIO signal of the drum you're triggering on the RD-6, it that audio signal is strong enough to trigger the Rev2. IF it does, you could perhaps get a DI-box with signal multiplying option?

Something like the Behringer DI20. Where you can copy the audio signal, and use one instance of it for your mix, and the other to trigger the Rev2...?

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 09:00:51 AM »
Just wanted to report back on this, thanks again @maxter for all of the tips.

I did do a bunch of homework regarding voltage dividers, and started learning a lot of useful info about how the electronics are working on under the hood. Picked up some basic electronic components and started thinking through the problem at hand on a breadboard. Today, I measured the output of my drum machine and could not get my multimeter to show any voltage higher than about 2v when plugging an audio cable into the trigger out. Thought that seemed fishy but figured it was safe to test plugging it into the Prophet since I wasn't getting a high readout. Viola, everything works fine just going straight from the RD-6 into the sequencer jack of the synth. Hope I didn't overlook anything major, but since I measured the voltage at well under 5v I guess I'm all good?

Anyway, it's really fun being able to bypass the whole rest/tie workflow of the Poly sequencer and just use the drum machine buttons. It has definitely been useful learning about basic circuitry as well, I will build on that knowledge over time.