Arp is consistently delayed using beat sync

Arp is consistently delayed using beat sync
« on: January 08, 2022, 03:26:09 AM »
I'm sending chords from ableton to my pro3 and having the synth arpegggiate it, and no matter what option I try, the resulting audio is delayed by about a 16th note.  The timing is very consistent,  so I can easily warp the audio to start from the right spot, but I can't figure out what's causing it to be delayed.

I can also just turn off beat sync and adjust the delay compensation in ableton so the audio is synced,  but the timing is jittery compared to using beat sync.

The pro3 is attached to my PC via a powered USB hub.

Any ideas?

I have no other daw to try,  and no other synth with beat sync to experiment with.

Pym

Re: Arp is consistently delayed using beat sync
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 08:53:51 AM »
I am aware of this and it is on our list, thank you for letting us know

I'm sending chords from ableton to my pro3 and having the synth arpegggiate it, and no matter what option I try, the resulting audio is delayed by about a 16th note.  The timing is very consistent,  so I can easily warp the audio to start from the right spot, but I can't figure out what's causing it to be delayed.

I can also just turn off beat sync and adjust the delay compensation in ableton so the audio is synced,  but the timing is jittery compared to using beat sync.

The pro3 is attached to my PC via a powered USB hub.

Any ideas?

I have no other daw to try,  and no other synth with beat sync to experiment with.
Sequential

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 11:09:14 AM »
Ah.  Well thanks for the answer - now I can stop trying to fix it.  Any idea when it will get addressed?

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 11:58:50 AM »
@pym - If possible, it would be awesome if there was a per patch control for timing offset of the internal clock... this is actually something that would be nice to have on all Seq instruments. 

For UI:  The optimal interface would be a dedicated knob control of course (either a pot with a center indent at middle position, or an encoder).... but for existing instruments with no more free UI real estate,  having it available via a menu, or button combo would be fine.   On Pro 3, perhaps hold down Track Select and turn the BPM encoder, and it would adjust the timing/phase offset relative to incoming clock signal.  So you could shift the timing forward/backward by maybe +/-100 ms, while maintaining the same BPM lock.   Some other instruments have this ability.     Also, if it's fairly easily accessible via a knob or combo.... or a mod destination, it can be used to humanize and alter sequences in real time.

Some sequences/arps sound better when they are locked onto transient downbeat, while others sound better a few milliseconds ahead of the beat or behind the beat, so having a way to adjust this (and save per patch, optimally) would be really nice option to have.   

I have found that I currently don't use arp-beat-sync much, just because its pretty rigid... some sequences sound good with it, but others not so much.   

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 02:05:47 PM »
That's a clever idea,  creative spiral.  It's usually something I address in production if I don't like the sound of something perfectly synched.   A kludge I'm fond of using if I want the audio a little behind the beat is just increase the attack a little.   Pro3 also has delay on the attack stage,  right?  That would maybe be a better option if you still want that hard transient. 

I suspect sequential would direct users to try those options before implementing something as complex sounding as what you described.   I mean,  as it currently stands, simple beat sync doesn't even sync to the beat...